Westone W4R defective product (March 2013)
Mar 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

fishhhead

New Head-Fier
I bought their W4R at Earphonesolutions on March 4th. I soon found a tiny crack on the left piece and returned the product. When I get the replacement today (March 16th), Again! A crack at the same spot! It would be acceptable if there is a scratch or something, but it is a crack (which weakens the structure). I would assume they have a batch of defective products and I believe they should recall those products. 

Is there anyone who have the same problem? 
Or anyone have any idea what I should do now? Earphonesolutions charges 15% restocking fe[size=x-small]e...[/size]

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 35
When I hold it up to the light, I can see a  tiny gap between the two pieces of shells (that light comes through, the two shells are not perfectly sealed). I can see the crack and gap more clearly with my eyes. It took me half an hour to  take these pictures since camera is not as sensitive as human eyes under this condition. 
I have an used W4R. I compared the left piece and right piece, the new pieces and the olds. I draw the conclusion that it should be a defect.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 35
I wrote to Westone today (3/17), receive no reply yet.
Yes, I know this is not a single case, many 2013 Ver. W4R owners have the same problem. 
Hope Westone will solve this problem soon. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 35
Mine bought in 2012 does not have that problem, sorry to hear that Westone got such QC problems now
frown.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 35
Just got reply from Westone... They said... 

Ok, let's say this "seam" does not compromise the sound or the structure. They can't deny the fact this "seam" appears only on a batch of their products. 

This is unfair for customers who buy this batch of  W4Rs. Consider when you want to sell your used IEMs, any minor flaw means loss in value.

I'm not a perfectionist, but an unusual "seam" on 400$ IEMs is not tolerable...

Going to write back. The worst condition will be returning them back to Earphonesolutions and paying the 15% restocking fee...

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:
Just got reply from Westone... They said... 

Ok, let's say this "seam" does not compromise the sound or the structure. They can't deny the fact this "seam" appears only on a batch of their products. 

This is unfair for customers who buy this batch of  W4Rs. Consider when you want to sell your used IEMs, any minor flaw means loss in value.

I'm not a perfectionist, but an unusual "seam" on 400$ IEMs is not tolerable...

Going to write back. The worst condition will be returning them back to Earphonesolutions and paying the 15% restocking fee...

Seems like a pretty shoddy answer to me. Why is there only a seam on the left earpiece and not the right?

I'm thinking they misunderstood what you were talking about.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:
Seems like a pretty shoddy answer to me. Why is there only a seam on the left earpiece and not the right?

I'm thinking they misunderstood what you were talking about.

I sent them all these pictures I took. I said this problem is not seen on the right pieces, nor old version W4Rs. They either omitted this or chose not to answer. 

I'm going to send them another email... 

Golila3 is right, every W4R has a tiny bump there. But in our case, the stress is so concentrated that the bump becomes a crack (in my opinion).

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 35
To all,

Thank you for the information about the Weston W4R. I am sorry you are having an issue with the products. I will review our current products to see if we have similar issues on our inventories.I will let everyone know the results of our review.

I am happy to replace your product for anyone that is having this issue. Please feel free to contact me directly.

Warm regards,

John Lowrey
VP- Audio Products Group
johnL@westone.com

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:
To all,

Thank you for the information about the Weston W4R. I am sorry you are having an issue with the products. I will review our current products to see if we have similar issues on our inventories.I will let everyone know the results of our review.

I am happy to replace your product for anyone that is having this issue. Please feel free to contact me directly.

Warm regards,

John Lowrey
VP- Audio Products Group
johnL@westone.com

Thank you for the conscientious reply!
I apologize that I might over react on this case, and if I overestimated the prevalence/seriousness of this problem.
But I do hope you can have a serious review of your product, and give us an explanation how these problems occurred/are exterminated. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 35
Hi all,

We went through over 500 units today to look at the issue. I think there are two items being discussed here. There is a parting line (or seam) that runs around the unit. Of the products that we looked at today, the largest gap between the two case halves was 3/1000 of an inch. The cases are secure and are sealed internally. There will not be any effect on sound or  reliability of the case even though you might see any light between the seam.

The second issues appears to be the perpendicular line to the main seam. This line is a pour line from the tool. It is smoothed out and then the cases are finished. It appears that a few of the units are not as smooth as they should be. I did dissect a unit where I could see the line. This is not a crack in the case or another seam. It does not effect the nozzle or mechanics of the units in any way. It is simply a slight blemish in the high gloss finish. 

If there are any customers who have further concerns, please feel free to contact me with your questions. I obviously want everyone to be thrilled with the Westone products while delivering the highest quality product possible. Thank you for your patience while we reviewed the issues. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Warm regards,

John Lowrey
johnl@westone.com

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #15 of 35
Thank you for your prompt reply. As for those of us with "unsmooth" earpieces, is it possible for us to get it fixed/replaced? I know that it is just a cosmetic blemish but I think many would agree that there should not be blemishes on $400 high end products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back