Westone UM3X Thread
May 15, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #571 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubijza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cant you just ask the dealer to examine the phones for a particular fault BEFORE shipping?

Lol that should be the job of Westone's QC team before it even gets to the dealers!

May 15, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #572 of 4,413
There is a small slip of paper in the UM3X box that says it was inspected by someone. It even has their initials and the date of inspection. I guess they don't put the phones on and tap the housing to check for this vibration. Maybe they will now that it has been brought to their attention.

May 15, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #573 of 4,413
Oh I see.

Yeah I hope tapping on it while in the ear is now a to-do on the checklist
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #574 of 4,413
My right earphone makes a little "tinkle" when I tap it with my fingernail. It reminds me of the occasional sound my LD III would make when I turned it on or off, except is only one single sound. With the LDIII there where 3 or 4 "little tinkles".
The left doesn't tinkle.
The sound is great (I had them on for hours while I studied and worked in my back yard), so I am not sure if it means anything.

May 15, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #576 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a small slip of paper in the UM3X box that says it was inspected by someone. It even has their initials and the date of inspection. I guess they don't put the phones on and tap the housing to check for this vibration. Maybe they will now that it has been brought to their attention.

Yes my previous pair did have that slip. Some one inspected it on 09/04! Both ear pieces had vibration but left one was horrible with vibration even I gently rub it.

May 15, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #577 of 4,413
And Mike @ Freqcity has been wonderful and he sent me a replacement ASAP. Being a UK customer I had to pay express shipping charges. When I asked Westone they advised me to get a repalcement from the dealer. I do not blame Mike as he sold it with a discounted price as a previous W3 customer. But the downside of it is, for some manufacturing defect I had to pay 29$ additionally for shipping.
I am not grumbling but little unhappy about the whole event.
But overal I am happy as UM3X has wonderful sound signature. Hope our experiances would make future buyers to enjoy perfect products.

May 15, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #579 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by obentou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol that should be the job of Westone's QC team before it even gets to the dealers!

I understand that, but we are not living in an ideal world and have to deal with other people's mistakes from time to time. My suggestion is only aimed as a constructive suggestion of a good way to deal with a potential problem.

If it takes 1 minute to check- then surely one can expect the vendor to include that minute in his service.

May 15, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #580 of 4,413
Ordered a pair... hope I made the right decision...

May 15, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #581 of 4,413
Honestly guys, I just got mine in and everything seems to be ok. I think if you guys are looking for a problem with the IEMS....you'll find one! (major or not). They won't be perfect, granted some of the issues mentioned here do require you to send them back but every company manufacturing products is going to have small hiccups. I've heard nothing but good things about Westone, and so far the UM3X have been amazing. To the ones that aren't even giving them a chance, I don't think that's fair....its your choice but be rational....

May 15, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #583 of 4,413
This morning I received my UM3X which are meant as a backup when not using my custom ES3X's. Here's some quick impressions, but please bear in mind the custom ES3X's are a different, though certainly related, beast, so all comments and comparisons now only refer to other universal IEM's.

My previous IEM's include(d) Sony MDR-E888, Sony MDR-EX90, UE Super fi.5 v2 (2008), Shure SE530, and Westone 3, of which I've only kept EX90 and now the UM3X.

EDIT: Just a reminder I don't use an amp, and have a 160gb iPod Classic with no EQ. Same goes for all other IEM's and ES3X - I don't have my P-51 Mustang any more, and I only tried that with the W3 and ES3X and felt the Mustang + LOD did not provide better SQ than simply using the HP out.

The UM3X is the MOST balanced, NON- FATIGUING & comfortable universal IEM I've ever heard - I'm using the medium soft grey silicone tips that came with the W3 - I find (and found previously with my W3 & SE530's) the other tips uncomfortable and/ or painful. I'm using the same medium sized soft tips I used with the SE530s - with the W3's I used the large ones.

The UM3X is more comfortable, though not a lot more, than the W3 (and SE530).

Bass is brilliant and better, in my view, than on the W3 -- by better I mean more natural sounding, not so pronounced, and yet retaining clarity AND punch.

Fantastic mids - best, by far, from any universal IEM I've ever tried.

Highs are wonderfully done, NEVER shrill, and again, to these ears, better than the W3, and let me be clear - highs are NOT recessed at all, but simply not as pronounced as the W3, and certainly more present than those on the SE530 - simply superb!

Great sound/ head stage and instrument separation.

Have had them on for nearly 4 hrs now and have had no fatigue, a BIG issue for me with all IEM's except my custom ES3X's. I can even play my music louder than I usually do and experience no fatigue.

A better carrying case is provided with the UM3X's than that of the W3's -- it's a hard-shell case unlike the soft one that comes with the W3's - it basically protects the IEM's more.

As far as looks and finish go, the UM3X is smaller than the W3 and, as someone else mentioned elsewhere, the UM3X doesn't look as aesthetically polished and not as impeccably finished - maybe even stylish and hip - as the W3, but for this 'old fart' the understated, perhaps 'uncool' looks of the UM3X I find much more appealing -- Not ideal if you want to impress the girls (or boys) out there.

Cable is identical to that of the W3 - ZERO microphonics and wonderfully flexible.

You also get a warranty card which allows you to get an extra year's warranty (2 years' total).

Nice packaging, the only thing that actually looks cooler than the W3's - you easily get everything out the box in a few seconds.

IMG_3109dd.jpg
IMG_3137aa.jpg
IMG_3111ff.jpg
IMG_3112hh.jpg
IMG_3115aa.jpg
IMG_3117aa.jpg
IMG_3121aa.jpg
IMG_3124aa.jpg
IMG_3131aa.jpg

May 15, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #584 of 4,413
Wow, great feedback for someone who has enjoyed both the W3s and the UM3X. So far, while there have been comparisons, yours is probably the closest to home for me. In fact, I really do enjoy the W3s (I use the modded tri-flanges), but still have some issues (veiled highs being the really only big one, but I EQ to fix it). Sounds like you are unequivocally endorsing the UM3X over the W3s, and that's got my radar up. Because I know you did really like the W3s too.

May 15, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #585 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, great feedback for someone who has enjoyed both the W3s and the UM3X. So far, while there have been comparisons, yours is probably the closest to home for me. In fact, I really do enjoy the W3s (I use the modded tri-flanges), but still have some issues (veiled highs being the really only big one, but I EQ to fix it). Sounds like you are unequivocally endorsing the UM3X over the W3s, and that's got my radar up. Because I know you did really like the W3s too.

If you think W3 highs are veiled I would avoid UM3X. There are a lot of characteristics I would use to describe W3 treble but "veiled" would not be among them. Although tri-flanges did tame the treble down a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back