Westone UM3X Thread
May 14, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #527 of 4,413
I used to own the UM2 years ago, and I may not be remembering correctly, but these sound VERY similar. I assume others have had the chance to compare the two directly. Just like when I had the UM2, I feel that the UM3X need some treble boost. They sound muffled in the highs to me.

Again, I'm still in the first few hours of listening, and many have said they had a similar impression in the beginning. I'm still hoping for the veil to go away. I'll leave them playing overnight even though I have little belief in BA burn-in. We'll see what happens tomorrow...

May 14, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #528 of 4,413
Just for further clarification, I have been doing all my listening with my iBasso D3 connected to my PC. I'll try my 160gb iPod Classic tomorrow as well.

May 14, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #529 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my pair of UM3X today, and I am experiencing the same exact situation that he described. It only affects the left earpiece, but I can hear the vibration resonating when I tap the housing or close my teeth together. Something is obviously not right in the phones.

I am wondering if I should ask for a replacement from the seller I bought them from or if I should go through Westone directly. Does anyone have advice or more experience with this issue?

I have asked for a replacement and its on the way! I have the same problem and there is a little imbalance between Left and right ear pieces.

May 14, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #530 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own the UM2 years ago, and I may not be remembering correctly, but these sound VERY similar. I assume others have had the chance to compare the two directly. Just like when I had the UM2, I feel that the UM3X need some treble boost. They sound muffled in the highs to me.

Again, I'm still in the first few hours of listening, and many have said they had a similar impression in the beginning. I'm still hoping for the veil to go away. I'll leave them playing overnight even though I have little belief in BA burn-in. We'll see what happens tomorrow...

keep listening to them for a couple more days, you might have the same experience that I had. I didn't like them at all when I first got them, and now I can't stop listening.

May 14, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #531 of 4,413
this is becoming desperate...the only way for me to wear these earphones is to numb my ears with ice/wait til the pain takes over...i dont know why. I looked at the pictures and instruction booklet and its inserted properly. but after 1-2 hours, the lower part of my ear literally becomes numb with pain. i tried both the long and short complies. any help would be great cause despite its quality, i cant find myself wearing them if i fear for the after effects.

May 14, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #532 of 4,413
Then don't. For some reason, IEM's are not for everybody. At least some of them. The surprise to me is that UM2/UM3X shell is reportedly one of the most comfortables in the IEM market.

May 14, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #533 of 4,413
its that i really like them as well. and i find it a pity for not being able to wear them the way they should be worn. I got them cause of the size/comfort reviews versus W3. Is it the tip choice? so simply the incompatibility of my ear shape and the shape of UM3X? my ear's shape is different from the usual bunch, not sure how to explain.

May 14, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #534 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurosuto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is becoming desperate...the only way for me to wear these earphones is to numb my ears with ice/wait til the pain takes over...i dont know why. I looked at the pictures and instruction booklet and its inserted properly. but after 1-2 hours, the lower part of my ear literally becomes numb with pain. i tried both the long and short complies. any help would be great cause despite its quality, i cant find myself wearing them if i fear for the after effects.

do you have small ear canals? the comply tips were a bit large for me (tried it with a philips SHE-9850 long time ago). try it with shure small olives to see if its better, otherwise...

saw you have SA6, what size did you use?

May 14, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #535 of 4,413
I use the medium sized ones. For my right ear, i can manage a decent seal with the small ones as well (i know, my ears are weird). I'm waiting for tri-flanges to come, then I'll try the modded tips to see. The pain comes from the outside though..its kind of weird..just above the earlobe. I'm listening it now and it's only been 30 minutes and already I can't touch my ears without flinching.

May 14, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #536 of 4,413
I would ask an audiologist to see if a custom mold would solve your problem. Also, to make sure there is no pathology or something unusual in you ear canal. Now, is the pain in the outside? or is it inside the ear canal?

May 14, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #537 of 4,413
its outside. It travels down to my upper left jaw. That's pretty much how serious the pain is. I've had 3 surgeries on my ears due to ear infection when I was a toddler...perhaps that's why? I don't know. UM3X really are a great earphone and i dont think i can go back to the SA6...IMHO! will an audiologist know why it hurts? if its necessary, I'll grab an appointment. My right ear is totally fine. I can practically sleep on them.

May 14, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #538 of 4,413
hm, i wonder how do you wear it? have you tried having the body of it pointing more upwards, the nozzle pointing the bottom, instead of the body at the middle, the nozzle in front, like this one. Side by Side Comparison of In-Ear Headphones by Price Range

i hope you know what i mean. its probably because of too much pressure on the bottom part of your ear by the body being in the middle, so try turning it upwards a bit.

May 14, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #539 of 4,413
thought I would post this as it seems there is a misunderstanding with regard to the UM56; the UM56 is available in the harder vinyl material, but it is also available in a softer silicone material (this is the one I have) which is much more comfortable for extended listening sessions

kurusuto: this is really very unfortunate
frown.gif
I feel for you; this does not sound like it is something that the UM3X is much to do with, I think you should see a doctor/audiologist about this pain, it just doesnt sound right and to me sounds like you have a medical problem that is simply being agravated by having the IEMs in there. if the UM3X is anything like other westone IEMs (which it is; UM2) it is designed to be very comfortable. In fact I would go so far as to say this shape is THE most comfortable and unobtrusive of any IEM available; certainly in my experience

May 14, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #540 of 4,413
I believe an ENT (ear-nose-throat) doctor would be the right person to assess your problem, but it will cost you unless your insurance pays for a visit. Sounds like a referred /nerve type of pain. Only in one side? if it is in the side of your surgeries only it could be related to it......I am not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back