Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Mar 6, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #331 of 3,037

I have had many IEMs with the MMXC connectors and none has given me any issue. What did you do to your IEMs?

Hope that you will be able to get the replacement sorted out. The UM Pro 50 is a great IEM and it is a pity that you can't get to enjoy it at the moment.

Absolutely nothing that shouldn't be done.

I don't remove my earphones by pulling the wires, I don't handle them roughly, etc. I just seem to have a ton of issues with MMXC connectors.

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #332 of 3,037
I received my replacement pair last night. So far, no issues, connector or otherwise.  They sound like an exceptionally clear UM3X with asubwoofer. The bass is very well rendered - different bass instruments have the correct timbre and are easily distinguihable. I ordered a balanced Silver Dragon cable from Moon Audio for use with my HM-901 & HM-700. It will be interesting to see if the silver changes the highs at all. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #333 of 3,037
  Absolutely nothing that shouldn't be done.

I don't remove my earphones by pulling the wires, I don't handle them roughly, etc. I just seem to have a ton of issues with MMXC connectors.

I hope that the replacement will work out fine for you. I for one do love the new MMCX connector and I wish that you will as well.

I received my replacement pair last night. So far, no issues, connector or otherwise.  They sound like an exceptionally clear UM3X with asubwoofer. The bass is very well rendered - different bass instruments have the correct timbre and are easily distinguihable. I ordered a balanced Silver Dragon cable from Moon Audio for use with my HM-901 & HM-700. It will be interesting to see if the silver changes the highs at all. 

I didn't get a good match between my Westone ES5 and the Silver Dragon. Will be keen to hear your impression on it.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #334 of 3,037
I too love the MMXC connector, as it is more flexible and comfortable, also never had any problems with the Shure SE535 i had or the UM Pro30

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #335 of 3,037
Mar 6, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #336 of 3,037
Hi all, new here!

But I tried both the UMPRO 30 and 50s.. I m wondering if anyone felt the same? I thought the UMPRO 50s were somewhat underwhelming?
There seems to be a veil over the mids and highs so much that I personally felt the 30s were clearer all round..

Also, any owners of the ES5? Heard the Pro50s sound similar to the ES5?

Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #337 of 3,037
Hi all, new here!

But I tried both the UMPRO 30 and 50s.. I m wondering if anyone felt the same? I thought the UMPRO 50s were somewhat underwhelming?
There seems to be a veil over the mids and highs so much that I personally felt the 30s were clearer all round..

Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

I'm with you on the UM50. I heard similarly to you. Whilst running it directly out from DX50 with 320kbps and flac. Probably it maybe due to the tuning of a stage monitor.. To me it's really pretty underwhelming.

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #339 of 3,037

Wow, then I must have terrible luck.

Nope, go read the shure 215 and ue900 threads for many reports on the connector issues (particularly at the start when both models got released).  I also have had issues with the shure 215 connector problem and sworn not to try any model that has them.  Why the seeming industry jump to this type of connector lord only knows.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #340 of 3,037
What did the Silver Dragon do to the ES5 sound?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

The Silver Dragon seems to take away the top and bottom extension of the ES5. At least that was my impression. I am not sure how things will turn out with a balanced Silver Dragon set up.

Hi all, new here!

Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

I'm with you on the UM50. I heard similarly to you. Whilst running it directly out from DX50 with 320kbps and flac. Probably it maybe due to the tuning of a stage monitor.. To me it's really pretty underwhelming.

The UM Pro 30 is more neutral sounding and somewhat flatter. It makes a better monitoring IEM than the UM Pro 50 (the best is my UERM which is in another league). For fast paced music (i.e. electronics, rock), this is more suitable.

The UM Pro 50 is more colored in the mids and sounded extremely good with vocals (especially female vocals), jazz and other audiophile recordings. It is a very natural and seductive sounding IEM for easy listening. The mids and highs are also more refined than the UM Pro 30. 

I have mentioned this previously in this thread. To reiterate, I feel that both the UM Pro 30 and UM Pro 50 won't impress people on first listen/short auditioning. If I were to have a short audition on TG!334, SE846, UM Pro 50, UM Pro 30, IE800, K3003, my preference will be:

TG!334 > K3003 > IE800 > SE846 > UM Pro 30 > UM Pro 50

The UM Pro 30 and 50 do not have any wow factor that impresses people.

However, on extended listening and having owned them, my preference will be:

TG!334 > UM Pro 50 > K3003 > UM Pro 30 > IE800 = SE846

The UM Pro 30 and 50 have a sound that I won't get tired of but will instead grow to love more and more.

Mar 7, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #341 of 3,037
The Silver Dragon seems to take away the top and bottom extension of the ES5. At least that was my impression. I am not sure how things will turn out with a balanced Silver Dragon set up.

The UM Pro 30 is more neutral sounding and somewhat flatter. It makes a better monitoring IEM than the UM Pro 50 (the best is my UERM which is in another league). For fast paced music (i.e. electronics, rock), this is more suitable.

The UM Pro 50 is more colored in the mids and sounded extremely good with vocals (especially female vocals), jazz and other audiophile recordings. It is a very natural and seductive sounding IEM for easy listening. The mids and highs are also more refined than the UM Pro 30. 

I have mentioned this previously in this thread. To reiterate, I feel that both the UM Pro 30 and UM Pro 50 won't impress people on first listen/short auditioning. If I were to have a short audition on TG!334, SE846, UM Pro 50, UM Pro 30, IE800, K3003, my preference will be:

TG!334 > K3003 > IE800 > SE846 > UM Pro 30 > UM Pro 50

The UM Pro 30 and 50 do not have any wow factor that impresses people.

However, on extended listening and having owned them, my preference will be:

TG!334 > UM Pro 50 > K3003 > UM Pro 30 > IE800 = SE846

The UM Pro 30 and 50 have a sound that I won't get tired of but will instead grow to love more and more.

Both UM50 and UM30 will be placed above IE800 and SE846 in your case? I auditioned the SE846 on quite a couple of occasions too and didn't suit my taste. I would take the UM50 over SE846 too. Probably the Westone monitoring series isn't cut out for me. I used to own UM3X and tried to like it but even after swapping in silver dragon which was raving at that time didn't stop me from putting it on sale within a month. I went on to the W4R and found that was what I preferred and was glad that the silver dragon cable took it up a notch.

I then went on to ASG2 with aftermarket cables and thought it was a pretty nice upgrade to W4R.

Upgrading mood kicks in again and wanted to hitch on Fitear. But preferred the parterre instead of 334 which most peeps preferred. I guess my preference for sound does deviates a lot haha. Still in the process of hunting for an upgrade to ASG2 now..

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #342 of 3,037
Both UM50 and UM30 will be placed above IE800 and SE846 in your case? I auditioned the SE846 on quite a couple of occasions too and didn't suit my taste. I would take the UM50 over SE846 too. Probably the Westone monitoring series isn't cut out for me. I used to own UM3X and tried to like it but even after swapping in silver dragon which was raving at that time didn't stop me from putting it on sale within a month. I went on to the W4R and found that was what I preferred and was glad that the silver dragon cable took it up a notch.

I then went on to ASG2 with aftermarket cables and thought it was a pretty nice upgrade to W4R.

Upgrading mood kicks in again and wanted to hitch on Fitear. But preferred the parterre instead of 334 which most peeps preferred. I guess my preference for sound does deviates a lot haha. Still in the process of hunting for an upgrade to ASG2 now..

Do you tend to listen to/focus on the instruments (i.e. drums, piano, guitar) more than vocals?

Come to think of it, it is kinda interesting. 

I don't like the ASG2 so when I try to think of something that is 'better', I will think of something that is different to correct whatever that I don't like about the ASG2.

You like the ASG2 so when you try to find something that is 'better', you are trying to move up along the same sound signature. 
o2smile.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #343 of 3,037

Wow, really? I guess I am not the only one, though I will want to reserve my thoughts for now and go back to try again at a later date... 
The ones that I auditioned may have not been burnt into enough yet :D

If that was really the sound signature, I think I will still go for the UM 30 series over the 50s for a balanced sound

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #344 of 3,037
Wow, really? I guess I am not the only one, though I will want to reserve my thoughts for now and go back to try again at a later date... 

The ones that I auditioned may have not been burnt into enough yet :D

If that was really the sound signature, I think I will still go for the UM 30 series over the 50s for a balanced sound

Hmm for BAs the sound should be pretty set in already..

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #345 of 3,037
Just wanted to add my 2 cents regarding the UM Pro 50 which I got last week. I've auditioned it against the UM Pro 30, W40, Shure SE 846, etc.
I'm upgrading from Shure SE310 with custom earmolds made from impressions...

At first I was likewise a bit "underwhelmed" after hearing the UM Pro 50 right after the UM Pro 30. Turned out that the UM Pro 30 had been in the shop for several months already. On the other hand the UM Pro 50 had just arrived and only been in the shop for a couple of days been demo'ed probably a dozen times for several minutes at most... not nearly enough "burnt-in" or run in. 

I went back a week later and tried again and I already could hear an improvement over previous audition. So I took the plunge, convinced that the UM Pro 50 would be less fatiguing in the long run. The UM Pro 30 isn't a bad sound at all but I preferred the less "in your head" sound of the UM Pro 50, a wider sound stage, better controlled bass and less fatiguing highs, especially apparent with string instruments and muted trumpets for example. Would have gladly walked out the shop with the Um Pro 30 but I knew that I would then wanted to upgrade to the UM Pro 50 anyway... 

I've now been playing music almost continuously day and night by either listening from my smartphone on the go, in my studio at work and at home overnight by connecting to my AV receiver playing internet radio. Just for the sake of running them in as fast as possible. 

I can say that there is a much more open sound already and that the treble previously being a bit congested is becoming more apparent, more pronounced but without being harsch at all. Very well controlled highs and lows, amazing lows actually, without being booming at all... You should also try using different tips, the new star tips fit amazingly well but some may prefer other tips like the foam ones...

In other words and your milage may vary but from my experience (I build high end speakers), electronics and even cables always need a bit of time to run in and open up.
Give the UM Pro 50 some time to settle and run in and go back for an audition... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back