Westone 4r vs Shure SE535 ( L.E. RED ) VS Regular Shure 535 REQ:( best Punchy bass )
Oct 30, 2012 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Towwers

100+ Head-Fier
I already have the Shure SE215, and I really like the punchy bass on those. However, I want to upgrade, I recently bought the Grado GR10, love it for instrumental, but it lacks to much bass.. I really love the punchy bass and an overall good sound balance. which one do you recommend me??

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:
I already have the Shure SE215, and I really like the punchy bass on those. However, I want to upgrade, I recently bought the Grado GR10, love it for instrumental, but it lacks to much bass.. I really love the punchy bass and an overall good sound balance. which one do you recommend me??

I think the GR10 has one of the most accurate bass presented in an IEM I have ever heard of. I guess you like a bit of a boosted bass signature seeing you like the SE215 bass, but I found the SE215's bass to be nowhere as tight as the GR10. The way I see it, if you want more bass, I think some of the positive aspects you like with the GR10 will be sacrificed as I find the GR10 to have glorious mids.

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

I think the GR10 has one of the most accurate bass presented in an IEM I have ever heard of. I guess you like a bit of a boosted bass signature seeing you like the SE215 bass, but I found the SE215's bass to be nowhere as tight as the GR10. The way I see it, if you want more bass, I think some of the positive aspects you like with the GR10 will be sacrificed as I find the GR10 to have glorious mids.

Indeed, the GR10 is amazing, specially for instrumental, jazz and metal. However, the GR10 it's very bright and cold, that's the sound signature of the Grado's family ( which I love too! ). but, I want a warmer sounding headphone with a punchy bass for electronic, dubbstep, drum&bass. I want a punchy bass similar to the sennheiser Amperior. As you said, maybe with a small bass boost.

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
Indeed, the GR10 is amazing, specially for instrumental, jazz and metal. However, the GR10 it's very bright and cold, that's the sound signature of the Grado's family ( which I love too! ). but, I want a warmer sounding headphone with a punchy bass for electronic, dubbstep, drum&bass. I want a punchy bass similar to the sennheiser Amperior. As you said, maybe with a small bass boost.

I believe a dark IEM would be perfect for you. I highly recommend the Westone 3 or Westone UM2. Westone 3 is more of a V-shape sound sig, while the UM2 has a more linear signature but sounds just as fun as the W3. The Shure SE535 may sound a bit too like the Grado GR10 so I think you should stray away from them a bit. If you have the funds, I also recommend the Phonk Audeo PFE232

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

I believe a dark IEM would be perfect for you. I highly recommend the Westone 3 or Westone UM2. Westone 3 is more of a V-shape sound sig, while the UM2 has a more linear signature but sounds just as fun as the W3. The Shure SE535 may sound a bit too like the Grado GR10 so I think you should stray away from them a bit. If you have the funds, I also recommend the Phonk Audeo PFE232

+1 on the PFE232 if you want that slightly boosted, but still very tight and accurate bass. Can't recommend the SE535s at all for this, as they're not the most agile (Slightly slower than the W4s). I do think that the W4s had punchier bass than the W3s when I was choosing between the two, but it's been so long that my memory's a bit gone. 

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 19
Good to know! I will go with the Westone 3!! thanks! BTW, what´s a V-sound shape signature?? and a U shape?? I read them a lot, and I have a small idea but I´m not quite sure. 

Thanks for the help!

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
Good to know! I will go with the Westone 3!! thanks! BTW, what´s a V-sound shape signature?? and a U shape?? I read them a lot, and I have a small idea but I´m not quite sure. 

Thanks for the help!

Generally speaking, recessed Mids, or in some cases, Neutral Mids and Boosted bass and treble

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 19
SE535 fan here, slightly thick sound, but punchy bass, amazing mids, and decent highs. even better with an upgrade cable.

regards

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 19
The UE900 actually has very good, punchy bass. I find that it's a better choice than any of the aforementioned models for your particular tastes. Also, it has a great set of accessories and good ergonomics. The cables are compatible with the SE215 as well.

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Thanks for the help!

I own the Westone 3X and Shure 530 and the bass on the Westone's are significantly better than the Shure's.  I f you like Rock or Blues the Westone's are superior to the Shure's.  I haven't heard either of the new IEM upgrades so I can't really comment on those.

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
The UE900 actually has very good, punchy bass. I find that it's a better choice than any of the aforementioned models for your particular tastes. Also, it has a great set of accessories and good ergonomics. The cables are compatible with the SE215 as well.

I´m a proud owner of the UE6000, and I´m really interested in the UE900. However, some people told me that it lacks bass... I don´t know, I wish I could try them. I´m about to buy the W3, but I will wait a little bit. Just in case.

Oct 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 19
It doesn't lack bass. It'll punch when it needs to, and pull back when it doesn't. At the very least, it'll punch a whole lot more than the GR10. UE doesn't do "no bass"... that'd completely undermine its consumer image. The UE900 feels engineered from top to bottom to satisfy marketing targets, and fulfills them very well. The W3, IMO, is not nearly as refined as the UE900. Its mids are recessed, and while it has good lows, and a sparkly top end, it's just not well balanced like the UE900 is.

Oct 30, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
It doesn't lack bass. It'll punch when it needs to, and pull back when it doesn't. At the very least, it'll punch a whole lot more than the GR10. UE doesn't do "no bass"... that'd completely undermine its consumer image. The UE900 feels engineered from top to bottom to satisfy marketing targets, and fulfills them very well. The W3, IMO, is not nearly as refined as the UE900. Its mids are recessed, and while it has good lows, and a sparkly top end, it's just not well balanced like the UE900 is.

I was pretty impressed by the bad reviews of my friends, since the Logitech Ultimate ears brand its very good, the UE6000 has an incredible bass response as well as excellent mids and good highs. I really need to try these. One small question, I'm kind of a newbie when talking about buying online. Could I order the UE900 from the apple store and the westone 3 from amazon.com . try both and return the one I didn't like?

I'm really confident that the W3 it's going to be good based on reviews, however, I'm positive about the UE900 because I have experience with their excellent products.

Oct 30, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
I was pretty impressed by the bad reviews of my friends, since the Logitech Ultimate ears brand its very good, the UE6000 has an incredible bass response as well as excellent mids and good highs. I really need to try these. One small question, I'm kind of a newbie when talking about buying online. Could I order the UE900 from the apple store and the westone 3 from amazon.com . try both and return the one I didn't like?

I'm really confident that the W3 it's going to be good based on reviews, however, I'm positive about the UE900 because I have experience with their excellent products.

I'm quite sure that you'll like the UE900 if you like the UE6000 (I don't even like the UE900 myself, but that's with regard to my personal preferences), and I'm recommending them because I can say that it's a good package and a good earphone for those that look for that particular sound. One thing that UE has benefitted in its servitude to Logitech is consistency. I, for one, am impressed by the engineering UE put into this earphone. I'm not knocking Westone, because in general I like their stuff too, but I sincerely feel that, in the battle between the W3 and the UE900, the UE900 will win on almost all categories.

I don't know about online ordering; you'll have to ask others about that.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
I own the Westone 3X and Shure 530 and the bass on the Westone's are significantly better than the Shure's.  I f you like Rock or Blues the Westone's are superior to the Shure's.  I haven't heard either of the new IEM upgrades so I can't really comment on those.

In term of sound stage and instrument/vocal separation, which one is more outstanding, Westone 3X or Shure 530?

When you said "the bass on the Westone's are significantly better than the Shure's", do you mean the quality bass or quantity bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back