Westone 4R or Heir Audio 4ai
Jan 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

xaddictionx

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, appreciate your suggestions and opinions between these two IEMs!

Coming from a TF10, UM3X, Westone 4R. Currently using a Westone 4R but finds it lacking in clarity slightly though bass and treble are good! There is also a slight veil in the lower mids. Instrument separation in UM3X is top notch but the however small soundstage puts it away.

Does the Heir Audio 4ai has the similar sound signature of Westone 4R with better clarity and instrumental separation like UM3X whilst retaining the soundstage comparable to Westone 4R?

Really do enjoy the sound coming from Westone 4R though.

Your thoughts and views are much appreciated! Thanks!

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 32
Quote:
...Does the Heir Audio 4ai has the similar sound signature of Westone 4R...

No.

As a disclaimer, I have never owned (or heard) 4.Ai, but I'm very familiar with 4R. If what other head-fiers have said about 4.Ai can be used as a reliable reference, then 4.Ai's sound signature is not similar to 4R's.

It seems that 4.Ai is flat-ish with slight emphasis up top, while 4R has slight midbass uptick, lush "thick" mids and slightly smoothed down treble.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:
somehow the "thick" mids are hindering the clarity. something that is slightly "veiled".

At the same time that "thick" mids make vocals sounds DELICIOUS and guitar twang sounds TWANGYLICIOUS. I'd rather have full-bodied, thick mids even if it's slightly veiled rather than thin, lifeless but hyper-clear mids, so imo IMO a fair trade-off. 

I personally wouldn't spend another $400+ if I'm enjoying 400$~ IEM I already own, But then again YMMV, whatever floats your boat!

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 32
No.

As a disclaimer, I have never owned (or heard) 4.Ai, but I'm very familiar with 4R. If what other head-fiers have said about 4.Ai can be used as a reliable reference, then 4.Ai's sound signature is not similar to 4R's.

It seems that 4.Ai is flat-ish with slight emphasis up top, while 4R has slight midbass uptick, lush "thick" mids and slightly smoothed down treble.

You've been misguided my friend. The 4.Ai actually share many properties with the W4. It has a mid-bass hump (smaller one) and less treble presence. The W4 has better extension into the lower bass and overall texturing due to it. The W4 has better clarity up top though, but still has a veil. The 4.Ai has thicker, warmer, and lusher kids just like the W4, but the W4 does have some air to it as well. Up high, the W4 show strong signs of lower treble extension and presence, something the 4.Ai can't match. The W4 can be slightly sibilant, something the 4.Ai doesn't have. The W4 has slightly better treble extension.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 32
You've been misguided my friend. The 4.Ai actually share many properties with the W4. It has a mid-bass hump (smaller one) and less treble presence. The W4 has better extension into the lower bass and overall texturing due to it. The W4 has better clarity up top though, but still has a veil. The 4.Ai has thicker, warmer, and lusher kids just like the W4, but the W4 does have some air to it as well. Up high, the W4 show strong signs of lower treble extension and presence, something the 4.Ai can't match. The W4 can be slightly sibilant, something the 4.Ai doesn't have. The W4 has slightly better treble extension.

Are there any ways to twert the EQ settings with a cowon j3 to rid the veil? If not for the slight veil the W4 definitely sounds awesome.
If there is a combination of UM3X clarity with W4 soundstaging it would be perfect IMO.
That said, do you mean the treble on W4 is much smoother than the 4ai? I'm actually caught in between as to which is a better IEM.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 32
At the same time that "thick" mids make vocals sounds DELICIOUS and guitar twang sounds TWANGYLICIOUS. I'd rather have full-bodied, thick mids even if it's slightly veiled rather than thin, lifeless but hyper-clear mids, so imo IMO a fair trade-off. 

I personally wouldn't spend another $400+ if I'm enjoying 400$~ IEM I already own, But then again YMMV, whatever floats your boat!

Thanks for your opinions! Really appreciate it. Ya I do agree that spending another $400 when I'm enjoying my current IEM is a waste. Can't possible spend equal amount of time on both. I guess maybe a cable change would do the trick haha.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:
Are there any ways to twert the EQ settings with a cowon j3 to rid the veil? If not for the slight veil the W4 definitely sounds awesome.
If there is a combination of UM3X clarity with W4 soundstaging it would be perfect IMO.
That said, do you mean the treble on W4 is much smoother than the 4ai? I'm actually caught in between as to which is a better IEM.

Yes you can get more treble out of the W4 by using wide bore tips and/or wait for the new star tips which is the correct size to fit onto the nozzle

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #9 of 32
Yes you can get more treble out of the W4 by using wide bore tips and/or wait for the new star tips which is the correct size to fit onto the nozzle

I've tried doing that. Did a Sony hybrid mod and shure olives. But Sony hybrid didn't fit my ear. Couldn't achieve a perfect seal. Whereas olives did a better job but at the expense of bass IMO.
Really anticipating the star tips as I find that W4 is really tip dependent. Currently using the Grey sleeves. No idea whether the star tips will be made readily available.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:
I've tried doing that. Did a Sony hybrid mod and shure olives. But Sony hybrid didn't fit my ear. Couldn't achieve a perfect seal. Whereas olives did a better job but at the expense of bass IMO.
Really anticipating the star tips as I find that W4 is really tip dependent. Currently using the Grey sleeves. No idea whether the star tips will be made readily available.

according to Westone it should be available for purchase in the weeks to come

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #15 of 32
I would say yes but I have only had my W4s for a couple weeks and so I have not done much tip rolling yet. Someone who has had their w4 longer might be able to give you a more detailed response. I just know that I really enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back