Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Dec 15, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #91 of 5,568
I seriously hope they change the design by utilizing the ES cable. For the one who asked how they could fit 4 drivers into the shell, micro BA drivers are being used instead of the standard size drivers show in the W3 picture. Jays/UE managed to fit 2 micro BA drivers in the Q-Jays/UE700 and the shells are very small.  4 micro BA drivers then should be able to fit in the W3 shell with no problem.

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #92 of 5,568
Dec 15, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #93 of 5,568

Quote:
I seriously hope they change the design by utilizing the ES cable. For the one who asked how they could fit 4 drivers into the shell, micro BA drivers are being used instead of the standard size drivers show in the W3 picture. Jays/UE managed to fit 2 micro BA drivers in the Q-Jays/UE700 and the shells are very small.  4 micro BA drivers then should be able to fit in the W3 shell with no problem.

They both use a TWFK which I believe is the smallest dual driver which is also the same driver the Audio Technica CK10 and Fischer Audio DBA-02 use.

I hope they don't add another bass driver unless they tune it much differently than the W3.

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #94 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:

They both use a TWFK which I believe is the smallest dual driver which is also the same driver the Audio Technica CK10 and Fischer Audio DBA-02 use.

I hope they don't add another bass driver unless they tune it much differently than the W3.

Excactly that W3 was already something...

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #95 of 5,568

Quote:

The extra driver they added is indeed a bass driver ( look at the sound earphones page )

but its westone we are talking about here , they know their stuff :)

it could be like UM mage .. Quick! , i would love that ! :)

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #96 of 5,568
An extra bass driver does not necessarily mean more bass, it is just how the company tunes the crossovers. The easier it is for a headphone to do something, the better it usually sounds. As someone said above, the UM Mage has dual bass drivers but has a neutral response.

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #97 of 5,568

Quote:
An extra bass driver does not necessarily mean more bass, it is just how the company tunes the crossovers. The easier it is for a headphone to do something, the better it usually sounds. As someone said above, the UM Mage has dual bass drivers but has a neutral response.

True, I wonder what signature there aiming for.

Dec 15, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #98 of 5,568
I guess something better than the 3. Because people seem to want a more neutral phone in this thread, the areas to improve upon would be speed, accuracy, clarity, and the like.

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #99 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:

Yesterday, Dec 10 around 7:00 pm, Lynn Kehler, Westone's CEO, posts a pic on his personal Twitter account showing an iPad and what might look like the Westone 4.

His comments were limited to "I'm testing out a new iPad...man, the sound quality is great!

The picture looks blurry and we don't know if he let this cat out of the bag by accident or if the camera color is completely off and rendered the red an orange, but I'm almost sure I can read a "4" on those earpieces:

Westone 4 ?!?

I guess it could be a Westone 3 :frowning2:

I don't know what's wrong with the link above, but as I read from the tease: it's claimed that Westone 4 has dual bass + 1 mid + 1 high. However, on the link http://www.earphonesolutions.com/westone-4-headphones.html, earphonesolutions claimed that:

Quote:
[size=x-small]The Westone Four could still have a 3-way crossover but have 2 drivers handling mids, 1 driver handling lows and another driver handling highs.[/size]

So, which one is TRUE?

The spec sheet is correct. The stuff we wrote were "possible scenarios" before the official communication from Westone. We were just conjecturing about the possible different configurations. That's why we wrote "could still have a 3-way...". That was well before we knew the facts.

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #100 of 5,568
For the sake of Westone, I hope that $449 is MSRP and not street price. With the great IEMs that can be had at the $200-$300 price point (e.g. e-Q7, RE262, and many more), a lot of people are going to have a hard time forking over that kind of dough.

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #104 of 5,568
well, the sleek audio sa7 is going for $400 USD apparently, those have two BA vs four (not saying more is better, but well, if price depended on the number of armatures, it's clear who the winner is. Also, the westone 3's cost $400, $50 for two more armatures doesn't seem to extraordinary

Quote:
For the sake of Westone, I hope that $449 is MSRP and not street price. With the great IEMs that can be had at the $200-$300 price point (e.g. e-Q7, RE262, and many more), a lot of people are going to have a hard time forking over that kind of dough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back