Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jun 7, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #4,126 of 5,568
Here's a reason why the W4 is among the best universals out there, it kind of defies FR. Basically because of it's time delay, it's response sets between these 3 responses [though mostly in the 0.05 region] because of the delay in the treble and bass. This is Olive-Welti compensated, check out how crazy flat it becomes at 0.05! Of course, it to be this flat, it needs proper insertion depth, a tip with horn effect and 33-100ohm impedance 

To the above: First revision of the W4 didn't come with star tips, the latter revision did before it was discontinued for the W4R. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #4,127 of 5,568
Hey guys!
I haven't been hear for a while and i have some question, please accept my excuse if those have been asked before

1-Does anybody try accudio pro application with w4? Can it compete with 33-100 ohm adapters or COWON Liaail Sound Capsule ( as Inks said it is a 33 ohm adapter too)?

2-I have used shure olives until now, and they have been better than grey silicons, now I'm looking for silicone tips that sound like olives, Are phonak tips from silicon? Where can I buy them?

Thanks

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #4,128 of 5,568
Quote:
Hey guys!
I haven't been hear for a while and i have some question, please accept my excuse if those have been asked before

1-Does anybody try accudio pro application with w4? Can it compete with 33-100 ohm adapters or COWON Liaail Sound Capsule ( as Inks said it is a 33 ohm adapter too)?

2-I have used shure olives until now, and they have been better than grey silicons, now I'm looking for silicone tips that sound like olives, Are phonak tips from silicon? Where can I buy them?

Thanks

I personally feel that the new Westone star tips (short medium size) for me sounds like the olives with more tremble, though the isolation is not as good as the olives, so I still have olives around for better isolation and comfort.

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #4,130 of 5,568
Quote:
Is there a good comparison of the Westone 4 vs Westone 4R? I'm thinking about buying a pair after looking at reviews comparing other Universal Fit IEM's.

There's basically the same.  the W4r is just the removable cable model.  Also supposedly has better matched drivers, but I couldn't tell any difference.

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #4,131 of 5,568
Quote:
Is there a good comparison of the Westone 4 vs Westone 4R? I'm thinking about buying a pair after looking at reviews comparing other Universal Fit IEM's.

i personally wouldnt bother with the westone 4.

i love my w4r, i love having upgrade cables, they totally imo effect the sound, both in positive and negative ways depending on the setup depending on the wire used in the cable. but just the ability to have a upgrade cable or replace the cable is totally worth it imo,

Jun 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #4,132 of 5,568
I purchased the W4 precisely because I had no intention of replacing the cable and it becomes one less thing that can weaken and break. Unless you plan to upgrade the cable, I can't see much value to the W4R.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #4,133 of 5,568
Quote:
I purchased the W4 precisely because I had no intention of replacing the cable and it becomes one less thing that can weaken and break. Unless you plan to upgrade the cable, I can't see much value to the W4R.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah, I got the W4 last week for $318 from Amazon. The W4R is $499 in most places. I can't see paying the difference. If I decide to keep it and one day the cable breaks, it will probably cost less than the difference to have it re-cabled.

Jun 11, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #4,135 of 5,568
If you are a true audiophile or trying to achieve audiophile sound quality. a upgrade cable is going to be where its at. thus giving the w4r a advantage in that department.

i personally am using the BTG_AUDIO Sunrise cable and its excellent. just by giving you the benifit of having the ability to change the cable gives you the ability to change the sound signature. if you cant replace the cable, you are basicly stuck with the sound signature of westones stock cable configureation.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #4,136 of 5,568
I would disagree, I got the W4R mainly because I live in Brazil and it would be hard to get it serviced if the cable broke.

My experience is that there are no discernible audio differences when using different cables. Literature shared on the Sound Science sub forum will corroborate this as well.

I don't think the stock cable on the W4 is a handicap.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #4,137 of 5,568
Sound is subjective. When I had mt se535ltdj and both baldur and dream cable the sound coming out of the 535 were disernably different. The pure silver cable had more of a analytical sound while the baldur spc had more of a dynamic sound.

I compared the westone epic cable to a spc cable and also found the differences in sound to be discern able. Where the silver plated copper offfered slightly more brightness to the sound signature and the mids and highs also had more extension. Where the epic cable seemed to offer a more laid back warm and slighlty veiled sound.

Im not agreeing or disagreeing. Sound is subjective everyone may have the same or different expierence.

I also dont think the stocl cable is bad in any way just personally not my taste in subjective sound.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #4,138 of 5,568
I notice a difference in sound simply by plugging in different recess adaptor plugs so I can imagine that there are cable differences. It seems that there would be a lot of variables. Will the difference be positive or negative depending on source player or genre? Is the difference worth the expense? What is the return policy for cables in case I don't like (or can't hear) the difference?

It's tough first finding "the earphone" and matching it with "the source". It will be years down the line before I take on a new project like finding "the cable". If I find "the earphone", I'm going to enjoy the crap out of my music for quite some time without a care in the world.
etysmile.gif

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #4,139 of 5,568
Quote:
I would disagree, I got the W4R mainly because I live in Brazil and it would be hard to get it serviced if the cable broke.

My experience is that there are no discernible audio differences when using different cables. Literature shared on the Sound Science sub forum will corroborate this as well.

I don't think the stock cable on the W4 is a handicap.

Your right! It's absolutly not an handicap, Epic cables are ok!... But custom cables can help, improve to somes degree "Puristes Audiophiles" with sensitive ears to different degree freq, to improve the sound quality they looking for!
Different custom cables, Amp/Dab, tips and so on, can results to a kind of "differents world signatures", that some can appreciate... or not!  IMOP

"Flagship".. is in between our eyeballs!  We will always be dissatisfied humans! One day you like... the next you hate!  You sales your favorite baby, and replace the next days  with a new one!

Still waiting for my next step!  Go for new cables like: BaldurMK2, or "Lune Series MKIII" cables, RSA P-51Mustang or "Predator" amps?!  Time (and money) will know when!

Can we be a True Audiophile... without the Cash$?   Yep, Music is Subjectives!   <Y>

biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #4,140 of 5,568
Quote:
Sound is subjective. When I had mt se535ltdj and both baldur and dream cable the sound coming out of the 535 were disernably different. The pure silver cable had more of a analytical sound while the baldur spc had more of a dynamic sound.

I compared the westone epic cable to a spc cable and also found the differences in sound to be discern able. Where the silver plated copper offfered slightly more brightness to the sound signature and the mids and highs also had more extension. Where the epic cable seemed to offer a more laid back warm and slighlty veiled sound.

Im not agreeing or disagreeing. Sound is subjective everyone may have the same or different expierence.

I also dont think the stocl cable is bad in any way just personally not my taste in subjective sound.

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back