Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jun 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #4,111 of 5,568
Tips can really kill the sound it's been shown both objectively and subjective, Phonak tips or Olives do the trick simple as that and stock cut off bandwidth.

Personally used Phonaks and they open up the sound no other tip could besides maybe Olives and Grado tips

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #4,112 of 5,568
Sorry mate, I beg to differ but each ear to it's own. Bottom line for potential buyers, if you can pick these up second hand for about £200 then grab them, seriously.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #4,113 of 5,568
Quote:
That's a LOT of work!... when all you need is to find the correct size set of EarPortz, and know-how to insert them. Really... I ain't kiddin'... once you TRY EarPortz and find the right size... NOTHING else sounds even close. Just tried the new Star Tips for grins, though, as I'm always on the lookout for something even better. Meh. Star Tips are okay. Maybe a little better than using any Shure tips... although the Triple Flanges are still pretty good, too. Also, the dual flange with the extra wide opening, like those from Sensorcom, are also pretty good. But... really... none of them come close to the sound quality of EarPortz. I really can't figure it out, though. Earportz have been made and sold for quite some time it seems. Yet, not many people on Head-Fi seem to use them. Someone (quite a few people) must be using them somewhere. Else, it seems like they would no longer be made if no one wanted them. I know I do!!!

Also, if I had to do that much work to get universal IEMs to fit and/or sound decent, I think I would be trying to spend the time, instead, to make money so I could afford to try buying a set of custom IEMs. Just sayin'...
tongue.gif
 |
biggrin.gif

Thanks... its not much lot of works for me, when you know howto do it. It easy, it take me less than an hour to make a pair. I prefer these over the Sony, and all foamy stuffs tips.

Until then... my next move will be ES5 or JH13 ... for now am enjoyed my W4r with (blk) Star tips, and PA747 mod!

If no thread nor comments about your lovely EarPortz tips, is maybe no Head-fier are addict to them !?

enjoy havefun with your EarPortz tips

wink_face.gif

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #4,114 of 5,568
Thanks... its not much lot of works for me, when you know howto do it. It easy, it take me less than an hour to make a pair. I prefer these over the Sony, and all foamy stuffs tips.

Until then... my next move will be ES5 or JH13 ... for now am enjoyed my W4r with (blk) Star tips, and PA747 mod!

If no thread nor comments about your lovely EarPortz tips, is maybe no Head-fier are addict to them !?

wink_face.gif

What is PA747 ?

Googling around shows little or no information about this ear tips or some obscure adapter ?

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #4,115 of 5,568

Quote:

What is PA747 ?

Googling around shows little or no information about this ear tips or some obscure adapter ?

Shure PA747 E2c ear tips.  Googling =>  shure e2c silicone replacement buds

aliexpress have huge kind of sort tips!

Hope this will help!  I will eventualy contact Shure if this tips still available! I Think it is better than the Sony hybrid sili tips and Star! But... I love both sound they throws in my ears!
Have to A/B them all one day!... untill to go for custom!

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #4,116 of 5,568
Quote:
That's a LOT of work!... when all you need is to find the correct size set of EarPortz, and know-how to insert them. Really... I ain't kiddin'... once you TRY EarPortz and find the right size... NOTHING else sounds even close. Just tried the new Star Tips for grins, though, as I'm always on the lookout for something even better. Meh. Star Tips are okay. Maybe a little better than using any Shure tips... although the Triple Flanges are still pretty good, too. Also, the dual flange with the extra wide opening, like those from Sensorcom, are also pretty good. But... really... none of them come close to the sound quality of EarPortz. I really can't figure it out, though. Earportz have been made and sold for quite some time it seems. Yet, not many people on Head-Fi seem to use them. Someone (quite a few people) must be using them somewhere. Else, it seems like they would no longer be made if no one wanted them. I know I do!!!

Also, if I had to do that much work to get universal IEMs to fit and/or sound decent, I think I would be trying to spend the time, instead, to make money so I could afford to try buying a set of custom IEMs. Just sayin'...
tongue.gif
 |
biggrin.gif

wink_face.gif

That's kinda my whole point though. People coming on here declaring what they feel are THE best ear tips, yet almost the only tips radically different are the EarPortz.

We all seem to be looking for the best, yet you just dismiss the EarPortz without ever trying them... or thinking to try them, apparently because you think they're not popular. How can you possibly know they're not the best if you never try them? And how can you say you're searching for the best if you won't try them, and continue to talk around them and about every tip BUT them.

I've tried almost every tip you guys are talking about. And though you discuss the relatively minor differences between them, they're all very similar. The EarPortz are almost a totally unique take on a universal ear tip. They are really the only tips that make such a HUGE, easily discernable, difference in sound quality, putting universals on par with customs. But for some reason, it seems a lot of people are unwilling to even try them.

I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to at least try them just to see what they're like. Especially since they're just about the only universal tip that offers anything so radically different than anything else out there, and ESPECIALLY because it offers such a drastic, noticeable improvement in sound quality. All I can say is... you guys are missing out on an easy, possibly signicant upgrade in sound if they work for you. All you have to do is find the size that fits your ear properly, and learn to insert them properly. If they happen to work for you, they are a drastic improvement in sound quality for really good IEMs.

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #4,118 of 5,568
Decades ago I tried Pepsi Cola for the first time and ended up abandoning Coca-Cola for years. Now, as a Shure SE535 owner, I received my first Westone earphone today (the W4). My initial audition is positive, but so too was my initial impressions of the UE900, SM64, and Ultrasone IQ (only time will tell...).

Is the W4 considered the same (soundwise) as the W4r (minus the removable cable)? The reason I ask is because the SE530 and SE535 sound slightly different (in addition to the latter having a removable cable).

BTW, I ordered the W4 yesterday from Amazon and got it today (and without a rush order---unbelievable, eh?)

Jun 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #4,121 of 5,568
Quote:
That's kinda my whole point though. People coming on here declaring what they feel are THE best ear tips, yet almost the only tips radically different are the EarPortz.

We all seem to be looking for the best, yet you just dismiss the EarPortz without ever trying them... or thinking to try them, apparently because you think they're not popular. How can you possibly know they're not the best if you never try them? And how can you say you're searching for the best if you won't try them, and continue to talk around them and about every tip BUT them.

I've tried almost every tip you guys are talking about. And though you discuss the relatively minor differences between them, they're all very similar. The EarPortz are almost a totally unique take on a universal ear tip. They are really the only tips that make such a HUGE, easily discernable, difference in sound quality, putting universals on par with customs. But for some reason, it seems a lot of people are unwilling to even try them.

I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to at least try them just to see what they're like. Especially since they're just about the only universal tip that offers anything so radically different than anything else out there, and ESPECIALLY because it offers such a drastic, noticeable improvement in sound quality. All I can say is... you guys are missing out on an easy, possibly signicant upgrade in sound if they work for you. All you have to do is find the size that fits your ear properly, and learn to insert them properly. If they happen to work for you, they are a drastic improvement in sound quality for really good IEMs.

Hi, nice post here!

Many kind of tips availables... some I dont have chance to tried! of coarse am willing to test them with my w4r. I live in QC there 's not available in my country. Maybe have to order somewhere from International.
If you willing to send me a demo pack, or where I can get easily I will appreciated! I will then able to A/B with my iem.

Humans are, and never be fully happy! Never satisfied. After finding his/The best nirvana Tips, he will search over and over again for the Best until... he lost hearing!
Keeping in mind that... all earcanal are different shape and individual brain is interpreting sound freq or music differently! This is The Nature of Sound... and brain!

Respect!   <Y>

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #4,122 of 5,568
i wasn't sold on tips making that big of a difference until I tried the star tips.  The 4's were my first $50 plus IEM, and i typically just used whichever tip fit the best.  When I got my Westones, I used the Comply's that came with them because they were the most comfortable.  They still sounded great, but I had noticed that the mids were slightly congested.  After a couple of months, I finally decided to try some other tips (this decision was also influenced by the fact that you had to keep buying more Comply's when they became too dirty to reuse).  When I finally figured which size star tip to used, I noticed that everything sounded more balanced with cleaner bass.  The slight congestion in the mids were gone.  The treble even had the occasional sparkle.

I've read several times that people consider the Westone 4's to be a very good IEM, but can be fairly lifeless and boring.  I think that the star tips help in that aspect.  Going back and listening to the music that I test every headphone with, the music just seemed to have more emotion.  Maybe I should have somebody help me in A/Bing some time

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #4,124 of 5,568
Westone has replaced the W4 with the W4R.  Not sure if they were including star tips in the W4 before they stopped production.

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #4,125 of 5,568
yes they did come with the star tips.  i got my w4s at the beginning of this year and they came with the stars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back