Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Dec 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #3,691 of 5,568
a repost: from post 3673 

(for anyone who wants the perfect adaptor, FREE of charge! I will put them in an envelope and send them on to you! I found it to be a great help with adapting any IEM to the W4! works as a collar/adapter, I get them free from work! the larger diameter bore, along with a regular IEM seems to NOT impeed the wonderful sound in the least coming from the W4, I am liking what I am hearing!)

hubba hubba folks, well I happily discovered that the perfect collar to go over the W4 stem and allow ANY larger tip to be put on over it, comes from where I work, I work the paint line, and we use plugs to mask the threaded parts, and the smaller rubber plug fits GREAT over the w4 stem nice and snug with a nice large bore,

if you want some, PM me and I can mail some out to you, no more canibalising other tips, not that that is a big deal for some of the ones that get torn up, but these plugs cold be a better solution in some cases,

anyway I am getting a deeper/better insertion with them, I started out as long as they would go and then trimmed them to what worked best,

all I ask is you share here, with what you hear, good, bad, or indiferent, IEM fundamentals 101, tips and fit can make ALL the difference in the world with what we hear coming from our gear!

here's some pics

^ the one on the left is the W stem section, on the right is the plug from work, bigger diameter

the plug from work on the W4 stem

another angle

hollar hollar if you'd like to try experimenting with a couple of sets of them?

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #3,692 of 5,568
Quote:

I haven't used a proper universal IEM in a while, so I was excited to get the W4. 

I just received my pair today (actually the W4R), and after messing around with all of the tips, (I eventually settled on the medium black silicone and the large complys), I have to say that the sound of these IEMs is very different - and sort of refreshingly so - from that of my JH16s. I don't think the W4 matches the JH16 in terms of impact, lustre, or raw sound quality, but I really like how these sound a lot. The presentation is a bit "cleaner", if that makes any sense. Not to say the JH16s are muddy at all, but the W4 pulls back on the bass and it's definitely a change from what I'm used to. I've run everything from Adele to Skrillex to Charlie Parker through these phones and I'm impressed. I bet TWag could really make these sing. I'll have to get around to that soon 
beyersmile.png

If you get the chance, try some high-res material from Chesky Records over at hdtracks. I think that depth is definitely there. The "imaging" in most commercial recordings is made on a computer so sometimes the natural ambience isn't present.

Is this a Tips thread or Westone 4 Appreciation thread? May better to open a new thread in that catégory in this case then! I can see kind of deviation here. I will like to knoe more about w4 only, not the tips! thanks dude!!

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #3,693 of 5,568
um, dunno, anyways I think it is all relavent, tips thread? there is one already though, and sorry not trying to deviate, tips is not the focus, they are only the vehicle to achieve the best sound from a great IEM, the W4, 

but the W4's really benefit from using an adaptor, it has a unique stem that limits what your able to use, and with being able to use any tips, I think is a a REALLY BIG leap! oh and it really makes them sound awesome! I will be keeping these for quite a while cuz of the tip mod that I read here on the W4 appreciation thread to begin with, so I am very happy it wasn't all out into a different thread, my audio therapy is going alot better now, I listen to music up to 8-12 hours a day, and with the tip mod I get the most from it now!

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #3,694 of 5,568
Quote:

Wow, you're making the W4r very tempting now, just to open the possibility of future cable changes. I know I hated e memory wire on my cheapo meelec m6s. How are the memory wires on the W4r, if you're still holding on to them that is.. :) Are they as bad as some pointed out?

I'm quite new to high end iems so take my findings with a pinch of salt :D 

I recently tested the W4 and the UM3X (both using grey silicons) at a store, but I wasn't too impressed by either, due to the tips. I'll get to that part later.

I felt the W4 comparatively was "cleaner", brighter, and overall sounding closer to my Swan H4 speakers. W4s had bigger soundstage than um3x. The UM3X sounded "thicker" for lack of a better word, probably due to stronger bass n mids. 

W4 bass was lesser by not much, but sounds tighter. Although I can see why pple eq e W4 for more bass. But the W4s are not bass light. Try it with Massive Attack's "I against I" or iiO's "Is It Love". Bass is there when you need it. I felt W4's bass went down lower too.

W4 mids were less forward and less "thick" than UM3X. I've read pple saying UM3X is more "fun" and suited for rock/pop casual listening, but personally I'm not convinced this "thicker" sound is necessarily better for me (prolly due to my re0 trained ears). It makes voices sound chesty or muffled? And guitar notes less sharp/crisp. I suppose it's all down to the kind of signature the individual has been accustomed to. That being said I'm gonna give e UM3X another try, see if I can warm up to UM3X's "warmth" :)

W4 had more detailed and airier highs than UM3X. But I also feel the W4 was held back from it's potential by the grey silicons provided. I had previously tried them with foams at another store (believe either comply t-100 or tx-100) and I fell in love with them. From memory, the foams made the W4 even less thick, and made the whole sound more open, airy and clearer than the silicons. Makes me wonder perhaps e um3x could do better with foams... On the W4 with foams I heard little details in cymbals I never heard before, and I've listened to re0's amazing highs for 2yrs. O_o

That's the only thing holding me back from purchasing the W4 now - having to use the grey silicons cos I find foamies are bit troublesome to use on the go. :/

Oh yea, the beefy plug on the UM3X couldn't fit on my iPhone 4S case. Mild bummer.

Peoples have to know that first instance, Westone UM series is for stage musicians only, not for Audiophile use. It can be used, but not best ... Like Elite series, es1 and so on, is also reserved for musicians on stage monitor. The ES3x and Es5 is the best Westone flag ship audiophile and stage monitor! All difference is in the signature, the freq.... Am using W4r for my portable rig, and UM2 on stage! My next step will be custom. "ES5 or JH13" voilà! Maybe youl know all this?! :)

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #3,695 of 5,568
Quote:

Wow, you're making the W4r very tempting now, just to open the possibility of future cable changes. I know I hated e memory wire on my cheapo meelec m6s. How are the memory wires on the W4r, if you're still holding on to them that is.. :) Are they as bad as some pointed out?

I'm quite new to high end iems so take my findings with a pinch of salt :D 

I recently tested the W4 and the UM3X (both using grey silicons) at a store, but I wasn't too impressed by either, due to the tips. I'll get to that part later.

I felt the W4 comparatively was "cleaner", brighter, and overall sounding closer to my Swan H4 speakers. W4s had bigger soundstage than um3x. The UM3X sounded "thicker" for lack of a better word, probably due to stronger bass n mids. 

W4 bass was lesser by not much, but sounds tighter. Although I can see why pple eq e W4 for more bass. But the W4s are not bass light. Try it with Massive Attack's "I against I" or iiO's "Is It Love". Bass is there when you need it. I felt W4's bass went down lower too.

W4 mids were less forward and less "thick" than UM3X. I've read pple saying UM3X is more "fun" and suited for rock/pop casual listening, but personally I'm not convinced this "thicker" sound is necessarily better for me (prolly due to my re0 trained ears). It makes voices sound chesty or muffled? And guitar notes less sharp/crisp. I suppose it's all down to the kind of signature the individual has been accustomed to. That being said I'm gonna give e UM3X another try, see if I can warm up to UM3X's "warmth" :)

W4 had more detailed and airier highs than UM3X. But I also feel the W4 was held back from it's potential by the grey silicons provided. I had previously tried them with foams at another store (believe either comply t-100 or tx-100) and I fell in love with them. From memory, the foams made the W4 even less thick, and made the whole sound more open, airy and clearer than the silicons. Makes me wonder perhaps e um3x could do better with foams... On the W4 with foams I heard little details in cymbals I never heard before, and I've listened to re0's amazing highs for 2yrs. O_o

That's the only thing holding me back from purchasing the W4 now - having to use the grey silicons cos I find foamies are bit troublesome to use on the go. :/

Oh yea, the beefy plug on the UM3X couldn't fit on my iPhone 4S case. Mild bummer.

Why all of you dont you make UM56 earcanal mold a tried, it's best than all foamy&silicony tips ever! Trust me! Trust your ears either! :)

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #3,696 of 5,568
Dec 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #3,697 of 5,568
Quote:
Are you from Weston staf?  
wink_face.gif

That's from 80 pages ago. And yes, the W4 and the W4R are the same sound wise. From listening to them side-by-side, it's very apparent that there isn't a difference.  I don't think they've ever marketed the sound to be different as well.

Quote:
Is this a Tips thread or Westone 4 Appreciation thread? May better to open a new thread in that catégory in this case then! I can see kind of deviation here. I will like to knoe more about w4 only, not the tips! thanks dude!!

We've pretty much exhausted discussion to the point where anything else being said would be really the same. Most by now can get a really easy idea of how they sound, look, feel, since impressions have been generally corresponding with one another. If you want to know more about them, read from the beginning. And now we're talking about tips, which have been covered before, but now people are getting into the adapters and all that, experimenting, etc. It's still relevant because we're talking about how the tips change the sound and comfort out of the W4, nothing else.

Quote:
Peoples have to know that first instance, Westone UM series is for stage musicians only, not for Audiophile use. It can be used, but not best ... Like Elite series, es1 and so on, is also reserved for musicians on stage monitor. The ES3x and Es5 is the best Westone flag ship audiophile and stage monitor! All difference is in the signature, the freq.... Am using W4r for my portable rig, and UM2 on stage! My next step will be custom. "ES5 or JH13" voilà! Maybe youl know all this?! :)

Despite whatever market the product targets, anyone can enjoy enjoy whatever they wish for personal listening. "Best suited" for whatever purpose or application, is so very subjective. The LCD-2s are more enthusiast phones, but I still value them highly for monitoring keyboards, classical stuff.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #3,698 of 5,568
Quote:

That's from 80 pages ago. And yes, the W4 and the W4R are the same sound wise. From listening to them side-by-side, it's very apparent that there isn't a difference.  I don't think they've ever marketed the sound to be different as well.

If you look back at the Head-fi Episode where Jude talked to Westone staff, they confirmed that as well. The only difference was the detachable cable. In terms of longer term reliability, a soldered wire is the better solution.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #3,699 of 5,568

I have both ES5 and JH13. One with 350 dollars Stefan audio cable, one with 650 dollars TWag v3 cable. Guess what, for listening to music, I prefer my W4r to ES5 in every way and only prefer jh13 for non-vocal.
Es5's vocal is too in ur face, highs are not as extended. Jh13's vocal is too transparent sounding, not enough weight, but better highs and much better bass on JH13 than w4. But as a package, W4 wins.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #3,700 of 5,568
Recently got my endgame cans for the forseeable future, just sold my Triple Fi, and now I need endgame IEMs. I've narrowed it down to three: 4R, UE 900, and Heir 4.ai

UE 900: Seems like the natural upgrade from the TF10 and I like its looks.
4.ai: Lots of good impressions and it seems to have the best build quality.
4R: Seems to be the most comfortable with the flushest fit for laying on my sides.

I'm sure any of them will be a sonic upgrade from the TF10, but I'm leaning a bit towards the 4R because comfort is high on my priorities. Convince me to get it!

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #3,701 of 5,568
Quote:
Would it be accurate to describe what GR07 (being more neutral, flat, less dynamics) is to the FXT90 as what W4 is to EX1000? Maybe the difference between the W4 and EX1000 is not as vast as the former.

I've read the W4 is the GR07 big brother. Never heard GR07, but owned FXT90.

Sorry about that but,  I think that many people here not very familiar with your GR07 - FXT90 - EX1000 - and so on... Here is Westone apprec thread, so W4 am sure, all people, know what is that mean! but for the rest, please, be more précise, add the Brand name, once in a while in the thread!  :wink: merci!

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #3,702 of 5,568
Quote:
it's the midbass that I really love on the w4 having more resolution but the imaging goes to the ex1000s
redface.gif

... so do I go for the midbass or for the imaging? cause I love both! Maybe find an IEM that have both advantages! :) Maybe custom is the waytogo!

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #3,704 of 5,568
Quote:
Sadly, there is no where I can go test drive iem's so I have to read a lot which leads to more confusion/frustration. With the W4 - do the "details" take over the musicality?  This is my main concern. I want a balanced sound and I'd love to hear imaging in terms of a choir and instruments but I don't necessarily want to pick my music apart. I'd love to hear things I haven't heard previously on my lower models and I definitely want a balanced sound.  If anything is more forward, I'd have to lean towards the mids but not enough to make it dark/veiled. Does that make sense?  I've heard some people prefer the W2 over the 4 and the 4 vs 535 is split. 

jmackler - I didn't mean to offend and if I did, I really apologize.  I do appreciate your help and your thoughts.  Hearing people's thoughts/suggestions and reading about them will have to do.  If someone has a suggestion not pertaining to this thread, feel free to PM me. 

If your not musicien, you can stay away of the UM series. If your music lover, plenty of details, then go for SE535 or W4 insted! Each ears are different. So is musicality preferences! Me either, i dont have some dealer with demos availables to test. So, you have to read alot more reviews to make good ($$$) décisions. You have to find stores that have in stock demos of the models interests you. I've also heard some people preference for the Apple bud over these top-notch iem's! Funny!      Just to said that, musicality is question of personal tastes! Some people simply can't appréciate what is good music...and realy good iem! All is question of musical préférence. Are you like more or less mid, lowend, base quantity/quality, high...

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #3,705 of 5,568
Quote:
If you could test and listen them, trust your own ears.

For me, W4r better than others. You could hear more details in the music you play compare to SE535 and UM3X.

Believe your own ears.

wink_face.gif
Agred!

Agre with you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back