Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Dec 3, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #3,661 of 5,568
Interesting...recently got the 4's from an InMotion airport store, have found them difficult to get a good fit/seal with, though I do manage it eventually (I generally have trouble, generally in my left ear-anyone else have different size ear canals?). I also find the bass to be less than commanding-I also got a Senn 650, no comparison (I know, seal has to do with the bass, but even if I have my head down on my ears, forcing a seal, bass is there, but seems less than I'd like or feel should be there). It made me thing, do these things need to be amped? Wondering if anyone else had same experience (no, I haven't read the previous 245 pages of the thread...)

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #3,662 of 5,568
Interesting...recently got the 4's from an InMotion airport store, have found them difficult to get a good fit/seal with, though I do manage it eventually (I generally have trouble, generally in my left ear-anyone else have different size ear canals?). I also find the bass to be less than commanding-I also got a Senn 650, no comparison (I know, seal has to do with the bass, but even if I have my head down on my ears, forcing a seal, bass is there, but seems less than I'd like or feel should be there). It made me thing, do these things need to be amped? Wondering if anyone else had same experience (no, I haven't read the previous 245 pages of the thread...)

I'd be willing to buy them off of you for the same price you paid for them at the InMotion Store if it's too difficult for you to get a proper seal with them. :D

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #3,663 of 5,568
Comply tips are actually the most time-consuming tip to place.  I can do a silicone in about 3-4 seconds but between compressing the compy, insertion and allowing for expansion...it is more like 15 seconds.
I agree spyro. The Ts series are not nearly as bad in that regard. Less foam and honestly i can just insert those without having to pre-squish them so to speak. Especially the small size which I prefer even though normally I use medium stock tips. The ones that come with the W4 are just so much foam.

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #3,664 of 5,568
New owner of Westone 4R from the UK - love them but having problem getting a good fit, so looking for advice. Have been reading posts but still not sure which way to go.

Think its because my canals are large but shallow. For my old Etymotic I used double- flange silicon fairly happily for many years. On my Westone 4Rs the same tips arent big enough. Have tried large Shure Olives but also not wide enough.

Am thinking of going down the custom tips solution - Westone UM56 as ACS no longer support Westone (and neither do Minerva) and already have some ear impressions.

Any recommendations?

ps hope this is the right thread to post this on...

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #3,665 of 5,568
Quote:

Hopefully, the W4 set you bought included a bunch of tips in a plastic bag. Did you get some grey Comply tips (P-100 series) that, when you squeeze them, are springy (memory foam)? You should have 3 sets if it's the same configuration I received: small short, narrow tall, and medium tall. Install the medium tall tips on the W4's, compress the tips by rolling between your fingers, then insert into the ear canal. Give them a few secs to expand, then fire up your favorite music. If you aren't impressed by the bass response, I will be very surprised. For me, the bass reponse is outstanding (unamped) and much more pronounced than my Shure E4C's. 

Ken

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #3,666 of 5,568
Quote:
New owner of Westone 4R from the UK - love them but having problem getting a good fit, so looking for advice. Have been reading posts but still not sure which way to go.

Think its because my canals are large but shallow. For my old Etymotic I used double- flange silicon fairly happily for many years. On my Westone 4Rs the same tips arent big enough. Have tried large Shure Olives but also not wide enough.

Am thinking of going down the custom tips solution - Westone UM56 as ACS no longer support Westone (and neither do Minerva) and already have some ear impressions.

Any recommendations?

Before you make the expenditure for customs, give the Comply's a try. My W4's came with 3 sets of P-100's: small short, small narrow/thin, and tall medium (those are not the official descriptions). I tried each of them and settled on the widest/tallest combination which, I believe, is the "P-100 Medium" model. I was completely leery of the Comply's at first; but, due to the overwhelming support they receive from other Head-Fi'ers, I decided to give them a whirl. I am now an advocate! 

Let us know how they work out for you...

Ken

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #3,667 of 5,568

Any recommendations?

Please click on the W4 adapter mod in my signature of this post. If you wanted to use comply I found that going that route and opening up the cannal of the tip by doing so with a 400 size comply instead of the 100 you get a less restricted sound. I however use the buyincoins tips mentioned many times here. They are bi-flange tips and are really soft so they seal well and don't irritate. They fit on the "adapter moded" W4.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #3,668 of 5,568
Could anyone comment on what the sound isolation for these is like? I have the IE80s but unfortunately they don't block out enough of the busy city sounds so I'm thinking of switching to these instead.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #3,669 of 5,568
Quote:
Could anyone comment on what the sound isolation for these is like? I have the IE80s but unfortunately they don't block out enough of the busy city sounds so I'm thinking of switching to these instead.

Mate, the isolation and comfort of this IEM (Westone W4) is extremely good, I must admit that when you combined this with Comply tips Tx-100 it blocks all ambient and environmental noise around you.

I have wear this couple of times during my sleep time and it doesn't hurt me ears at all.

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #3,670 of 5,568
they block ambient and environmental noise if your music is playing. i have tx 100 tips i can still hear ramblings and nonsense of the coworkers talking about cornbread....

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #3,671 of 5,568
Quote:
Hopefully, the W4 set you bought included a bunch of tips in a plastic bag. Did you get some grey Comply tips (P-100 series) that, when you squeeze them, are springy (memory foam)? You should have 3 sets if it's the same configuration I received: small short, narrow tall, and medium tall. Install the medium tall tips on the W4's, compress the tips by rolling between your fingers, then insert into the ear canal. Give them a few secs to expand, then fire up your favorite music. If you aren't impressed by the bass response, I will be very surprised. For me, the bass reponse is outstanding (unamped) and much more pronounced than my Shure E4C's. 

Ken

Got them "open box", just the headphones, no accessories, though it may be worth it to go to Comply or Westone to check for more tips (I have a bag full of assorted tips-probably worth checking those 1st). Also have Westone 3's-would those tips work the same as 4's?

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #3,673 of 5,568
hubba hubba folks, well I happily discovered that the perfect collar to go over the W4 stem and allow ANY larger tip to be put on over it, comes from where I work, I work the paint line, and we use plugs to mask the threaded parts, and the smaller rubber plug fits GREAT over the w4 stem nice and snug with a nice large bore,

if you want some, PM me and I can mail some out to you, no more canibalising other tips, not that that is a big deal for some of the ones that get torn up, but these plugs cold be a better solution in some cases,

anyway I am getting a better insertion with them,

here's some pics

^ the one on the left is the W stem section, on the right is the plug from work, bigger diameter

the plug from work on the W4 stem

another angle

hollar hollar if you'd like to try experimenting with a couple of sets of them?

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #3,674 of 5,568
Quote:
Got them "open box", just the headphones, no accessories, though it may be worth it to go to Comply or Westone to check for more tips (I have a bag full of assorted tips-probably worth checking those 1st). Also have Westone 3's-would those tips work the same as 4's?

Sorry, this is my first time as a Westone owner, so I don't know what kinds of tips they provide for other models such as W3. After researching the Comply site, I believe that Westone included the P-100 series Comply tips with my purchase (see: http://www.complyfoam.com/products/P-Series/). 

Ken

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #3,675 of 5,568
Quote:
Sorry, this is my first time as a Westone owner, so I don't know what kinds of tips they provide for other models such as W3. After researching the Comply site, I believe that Westone included the P-100 series Comply tips with my purchase (see: http://www.complyfoam.com/products/P-Series/). 

Ken

KenB,

You can try Comply Tx-100 with earwax guard, that fits my Westone W4 perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back