Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jun 18, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #2,896 of 5,568
Quote:
Quote:
Wow, that sounds nothing like mine, clarity is the furthest thing I would describe. The mids on mine sound veiled and muffled(as if there's a blanket covering it). Anyway, already emailed my local authorized dealer, hoping to get it changed. 

I thought my 4Rs were terrible until I realized I had the fit wrong. I had been using the long, triple-flanged tips and jamming them right into my ears. It gave great isolation but destroyed the sound totally and caused me discomfort. The treble was missing and vocalists sounded like they had a lisp. The midrange was muddy and the bass boomy. When I went to the shorter large white tips I suddenly understood why people like these earphones. All of those issues are resolved and I find them quite lovely now. So - you might want to check your fit and try various tips.

Yeah, really, do look into new tips. Nozzle interactions can make or break the sound. Muffling is not something that should be happening. Give some T-100's a shot too, while you're at it.

BTW, did you lose the tip bag with the W4?

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #2,897 of 5,568
Quote:

I thought my 4Rs were terrible until I realized I had the fit wrong. I had been using the long, triple-flanged tips and jamming them right into my ears. It gave great isolation but destroyed the sound totally and caused me discomfort. The treble was missing and vocalists sounded like they had a lisp. The midrange was muddy and the bass boomy. When I went to the shorter large white tips I suddenly understood why people like these earphones. All of those issues are resolved and I find them quite lovely now. So - you might want to check your fit and try various tips.

X2

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #2,898 of 5,568
Quote:

Okay, I will be sure to give the tips another try. Although I found it weird because the demo set I tried at the shop was using the Shure gray flex, which is the same as mine, and it sounds totally different... with that one having more clarity... But I can't say I'm too sure since the store's one has one side louder than the other, 

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #2,900 of 5,568
Quote:
Okay, I will be sure to give the tips another try. Although I found it weird because the demo set I tried at the shop was using the Shure gray flex, which is the same as mine, and it sounds totally different... with that one having more clarity... But I can't say I'm too sure since the store's one has one side louder than the other, 

Just a note the Shure Greys are thicker than the Westone greys. They look alike, but the Shures will bring out more of a mid bass hump

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #2,903 of 5,568
Quote:
I had about 20 minutes with these in a quiet airport store, and boy was I impressed. 

They are great! What tips did you use?

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #2,905 of 5,568
Quote:

I used the long skinny comply tips.

Okay, those aren't too bad. I prefer the stock oval silicon tips, the long deep insert Earportz silicon tips or the Shure olives. But the W4 ranks up there with the ASG-1.2 as one of my favorite universal IEMs.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #2,906 of 5,568
So... I was playing around with the tips today, and I got to agree, they do make a BIG difference. And you're right, the oval ones sound the bass, but unfortunately they do not fit well, I think it's because it's too stiff, think it will soften in a few days? The comply are okay too, but not as good. The tri-flange are also better, but still has slight veil in the mids. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #2,907 of 5,568
Quote:
So... I was playing around with the tips today, and I got to agree, they do make a BIG difference. And you're right, the oval ones sound the bass, but unfortunately they do not fit well, I think it's because it's too stiff, think it will soften in a few days? The comply are okay too, but not as good. The tri-flange are also better, but still has slight veil in the mids. 

By "oval" do you guys mean the grey ones or the clear ones? Tri-flange tips fit very well but they create a kind of resonance for me, the grey ones muffle the treble a bit, whereas the clear ones are too stiff...

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #2,909 of 5,568
I use the grey ones...  I tried the "white"/transparent ones, but they didn't feel right.  Maybe I'll try it again :p

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #2,910 of 5,568
Quote:
I meant the transparent ones. And the fit is really bad, good sound however.

Thank you.

I pulled the plug for the Earportz tips that work well according to Ericp10 and others. Since the trial pack comes with all four sizes, once I get it, will put up for sale for the three pairs that don't fit me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back