Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jun 18, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #2,881 of 5,568
I have the W4R for a few months now, but I find the bass to be a little boomy and mids seem quite veiled, something I wouldn't associate with "clarity" at all. I tried a W4 (no RC) at the shop but I found it sounds quite different, anyone thinks I may have a defective pair? Because it doesn't sound much better than my $30 earphones.

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #2,882 of 5,568
^
maybe you do or we could be hearing differently..
Mids are never veiled to me but had the micro details and clarity and may sound a bit dry next to the sm3's mids
the bass are never boomy but sound tamed or polite at all times and if there's any gripe for it...
a lot of people here wanted a little bit more bass impact (backread)..

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #2,883 of 5,568
Quote:
^
maybe you do or we could be hearing differently..
Mids are never veiled to me but had the micro details and clarity and may sound a bit dry next to the sm3's mids
the bass are never boomy but sound tamed or polite at all times and if there's any gripe for it...
a lot of people here wanted a little bit more bass impact (backread)..

Wow, that sounds nothing like mine, clarity is the furthest thing I would describe. The mids on mine sound veiled and muffled(as if there's a blanket covering it). Anyway, already emailed my local authorized dealer, hoping to get it changed. 

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #2,884 of 5,568
i'm not sure in your case because if you backread, people who came from bright signature find the w4 veiled which in my case never sounded like that that's why maybe we could be hearing differently but in the bass dept i'm pretty sure you maybe having a defective one.. there's a lot of resolution ( 2 dedicated drivers) on the bass dept so being boomy and muffled does sound like a defective one

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #2,885 of 5,568
Quote:
i'm not sure in your case because if you backread, people who came from bright signature find the w4 veiled which in my case never sounded like that that's why maybe we could be hearing differently but in the bass dept i'm pretty sure you maybe having a defective one.. there's a lot of resolution ( 2 dedicated drivers) on the bass dept so being boomy and muffled does sound like a defective one

Well, I compared to the BA200, which is also a dark IEM, and found it not veiled at all compared to the W4. Got to agree, the bass on my W4 sounds kinda boomy and muddy, nothing I would associate with "clarity", although many said they found the bass lacking, which I found similar characteristics in the demo set I tested, which sounds different from mine, although the demo set is slightly faulty as well, as in one side is louder than the other. 

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #2,887 of 5,568
Nothing sounds veiled or muffled in my W4. What tips are you using? Clarity and separation are wonderful, and even more surprising is the level of sub-bass coming out of the W4. Mine seem to have blossomed (although, this is my original pair. The right driver quite in my original and Westone sent me an entirely new pair). The W4 is in my top 2 of favorite universal.

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #2,888 of 5,568
Quote:
might as well have it replaced.. don't you think = )
in my case, i never find it boomy nor muddy and it becomes more evident when compared to the fx700, ie80 and sm3

Well, I will just get it replaced to be safe than sorry... 

Come to think of that... the bass of my W4R does seem a little as boomy as the SM3v2s' 
Quote:
Nothing sounds veiled or muffled in my W4. What tips are you using? Clarity and separation are wonderful, and even more surprising is the level of sub-bass coming out of the W4. Mine seem to have blossomed (although, this is my original pair. The right driver quite in my original and Westone sent me an entirely new pair). The W4 is in my top 2 of favorite universal.

I'm using the shure gray flex, and clarity seems to be even worse with the westone grey silicons... I also used different sources but the same result. 

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #2,889 of 5,568
Quote:
I have the W4R for a few months now, but I find the bass to be a little boomy and mids seem quite veiled, something I wouldn't associate with "clarity" at all. I tried a W4 (no RC) at the shop but I found it sounds quite different, anyone thinks I may have a defective pair? Because it doesn't sound much better than my $30 earphones.

Since you stated sometime ago that you preferred your W4 over the K3003, I'm glad to learn the $1,300 K3003 ($1,500 in Europe) is at least as good as a $30 IEM -- hopefully, that is.

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #2,890 of 5,568
Quote:

Since you stated sometime ago that you preferred your W4 over the K3003, I'm glad to learn the $1,300 K3003 ($1,500 in Europe) is at least as good as a $30 IEM -- hopefully, that is.

At that time I was comparing to the demo set, and I said I preferred the W4 for price over performance. I get you're a K3003 fanboy, but no need to get so angry over others' opinions. 

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #2,891 of 5,568
Quote:
At that time I was comparing to the demo set, and I said I preferred the W4 for price over performance. I get you're a K3003 fanboy, but no need to get so angry over others' opinions. 

Interesting that for the very first time you mention that it was a K3003 demo you compared your W4s to. I've seen you in so many threads discussing many IEMs, recommending & discouraging people from getting many different IEMs without letting them know that the vast majority of IEMs you talk about --including several custom IEMs-- have only been tested for a few minutes in a shop, and only with your very specific type of music. And, in the case of customs, you don't even let people know you've only tried demo units, not the full-fitted custom sets. You've written over 2000 posts in just six months. Many of your posts are a serious disservice not just to HF'ers, but to many of those who also visit these forum threads and do not register.

Me? A "K3003 fanboy"? Oh yes, definitely, as evidenced so very clearly by this K3003 "fanboy" thread I started a month ago. Perhaps people should also check your posts on this thread (and several other threads) and get a much clearer picture of what type of HF'er jeremypsp & music_4321 are.

Go ahead and try to discredit me and respond to this post with the ever so accurate, informative & useful information you always provide. I won't be responding to any of your posts.

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #2,892 of 5,568
Quote:

Interesting that for the very first time you mention that it was a K3003 demo you compared your W4s to. I've seen you in so many threads discussing many IEMs, recommending & discouraging people from getting many different IEMs without letting them know that the vast majority of IEMs you talk about --including several custom IEMs-- have only been tested for a few minutes in a shop, and only with your very specific type of music. And, in the case of customs, you don't even let people know you've only tried demo units, not the full-fitted custom sets. You've written over 2000 posts in just six months. Many of your posts are a serious disservice not just to HF'ers, but to many of those who also visit these forum threads and do not register.

Me? A "K3003 fanboy"? Oh yes, definitely, as evidenced so very clearly by this K3003 "fanboy" thread I started a month ago. Perhaps people should also check your posts on this thread (and several other threads) and get a much clearer picture of what type of HF'er jeremypsp & music_4321 are.

Go ahead and try to discredit me and respond to this post with the ever so accurate, informative & useful information you always provide. I won't be replying to any of your posts.

O_o, seems like you know everything about me. I don't think I have to explain myself to you about demo-ing IEMs, you have been repeatedly talking about this many times, really. I don't see what's the point of you proving that I give misleading advices to others, I did not force anyone to take my advices now, did I? As with anything, it all should be taken with a "grain of salt", unless you tell me that whatever opinions you have on something is deem to be right. 

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #2,893 of 5,568
Quote:
I'm using the shure gray flex, and clarity seems to be even worse with the westone grey silicons... I also used different sources but the same result. 

I don't like any of the grey silicons on it. I would suggest trying the the clear oval-shaped silicons, the Earportz (deep insert silicons that will give it a custom fit inside of your ear canals, or the Shure black foam olives. I think those three will add better clarity and lift the veil that you're hearing.

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #2,894 of 5,568
Quote:
I don't like any of the grey silicons on it. I would suggest trying the the clear oval-shaped silicons, the Earportz (deep insert silicons that will give it a custom fit inside of your ear canals, or the Shure black foam olives. I think those three will add better clarity and lift the veil that you're hearing.

Hmm, I only have the oval-shaped silicons right now and sadly they don't fit :frowning2:. I will have to try the black foam someday I guess. 

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #2,895 of 5,568
Quote:
Wow, that sounds nothing like mine, clarity is the furthest thing I would describe. The mids on mine sound veiled and muffled(as if there's a blanket covering it). Anyway, already emailed my local authorized dealer, hoping to get it changed. 

I thought my 4Rs were terrible until I realized I had the fit wrong. I had been using the long, triple-flanged tips and jamming them right into my ears. It gave great isolation but destroyed the sound totally and caused me discomfort. The treble was missing and vocalists sounded like they had a lisp. The midrange was muddy and the bass boomy. When I went to the shorter large white tips I suddenly understood why people like these earphones. All of those issues are resolved and I find them quite lovely now. So - you might want to check your fit and try various tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back