Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Feb 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #2,661 of 5,568
Hi guys finally ordered the Shure Olive tips to go with my W4r. I find the plastic to let too much outside noise enter and reducing the amount of bass.

Hope you get your W4r soon imackler! :D

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #2,662 of 5,568

Quote:
Hi guys finally ordered the Shure Olive tips to go with my W4r. I find the plastic to let too much outside noise enter and reducing the amount of bass.
Hope you get your W4r soon imackler!
biggrin.gif

Cool the Shure Olives will fix this. Remember to pry them off with fingernails when taking off. Otherwise they can be very difficult to remove

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #2,663 of 5,568
Feb 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #2,664 of 5,568
I don't know if any of you are interested, but here is my review of the Westone 4Rs: http://www.ifans.com/blog/37734/

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #2,665 of 5,568

Quote:
I don't know if any of you are interested, but here is my review of the Westone 4Rs: http://www.ifans.com/blog/37734/

The Format of your review, and the actual presentation, is of the best I have ever seen. I Love the simplicity and of natural natural language. I too was sad to see that the R's have memory wire. I didn't realize this. I have to say though, only hearing the W4 (not the R) I didn't feel the highs as you did. I thought they were less aggressive. Have you heard the W3's, and which tips did you use for the 4R. Thanks again for the link. I love reading reviews just like that. Less technical and more sound and build and etc. One other thing about Westone, they are probably the top customer service company in the whole industry. Top notch, very responsive

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #2,666 of 5,568
Quote:
The Format of your review, and the actual presentation, is of the best I have ever seen. I Love the simplicity and of natural natural language. ...  . I have to say though, only hearing the W4 (not the R) I didn't feel the highs as you did. I thought they were less aggressive.

X2 on the review, concise and to the point. Plus very nice pics.
smile_phones.gif

But I have to agree with Freefall's comment on the highs, I don't feel they're aggressive. I too have the W4 (not the R) though.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #2,667 of 5,568

Quote:
The Format of your review, and the actual presentation, is of the best I have ever seen. I Love the simplicity and of natural natural language. I too was sad to see that the R's have memory wire. I didn't realize this. I have to say though, only hearing the W4 (not the R) I didn't feel the highs as you did. I thought they were less aggressive. Have you heard the W3's, and which tips did you use for the 4R. Thanks again for the link. I love reading reviews just like that. Less technical and more sound and build and etc. One other thing about Westone, they are probably the top customer service company in the whole industry. Top notch, very responsive

I haven't heard the 3s.  I used the black/dark grey silicone tips (I think Westone calls these the "Mushroom" tips, although I think Etymotic has more mushroom-like tips :p).  I myself, was fine with the highs (I can take slightly aggressive highs like the ones found on the B2s), but could see how some people could think they could be aggressive (reason why it was added in, maybe I stressed it too much in the review).

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #2,668 of 5,568
i have auditioned this today.. they have a very good presentation and does nothing wrong.. the highs are never fatiguing and neither recessed or forward but very detailed and smooth and extended.. but the bass was really lacking to me.. it gave me a hard time finding a seal with the olives so i end up holding both iems while listening..

but i got more involved and poisoned with the um3x's presentation

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #2,669 of 5,568
I concur, a very nice review Tinyman392

I have been very disappointed with the W4 since the arrival of the red 535 with 3rd party cable. I tend to agree with the review that the trebles on the W4 is aggressive verging on the point of being edgy and harsh. I remember disagreeing with Kunlun (sp.?) on his review that the W4 had an unbearable tizz. As my source got better the tizz was annoying me more and more to the point that I would only use the W4 for casual listening such as going to the supermarket etc. Also compared to the 535 the W4 was lifeless and pretty sterile. I was about to sell them or give them away!!?!!

This all changed today!

I have a few portable amps and after reading Skylab (sp?) review on the best three, 71b, 2step and L3. I decided to buy the L3. What a revelation, I really cannot put it in words. The only analogy that comes to mine, and since I am very big into Home Systems is, the W4 s are like a very difficult to drive large speaker and no matter what amp you drive it with, it just doesn't sound right. You know the speakers are good as all the detail and resolution is there, but it just doesn't fall into place. However, once get the right amplifier with excellent synergy, and appropriately high damping factor that has a vice like grip on the speaker then things changes from bland to real music. This is what happened today. The reason I took out the W4 was I needed something to help bed the amp in. I didn't want to use the 535 until the L3 had at least 50 hours on it.

I put on the W4 and it was a different animal altogether, expecting the usual sterile and bland presentation I was totally overwhelmed by what I heard. From what was supposed to be a short listen turned out to be 2 hours long going through music I know best, usual stuff such as Eagles, Eric Clapton Unplugged, Dave Brubeck - Take 5, Pat Methany, Sarah McLachlan, Sade, Chris Botti, Sting and newer material such as Feist, Adele, Rebecca Ferguson. And some classical. The music brought smiles to my face and some making me teary eyed.

The W4 are the first universals that I bought about 8 months ago when I felt that they were the best thing since slice bread. Coming from the freebies that came with mobile phones etc and listening with a S2 or Motorola Xoom.

Today I am a believer! At the current price they are an absolute bargain, only trouble, driving them costs a lot.

I am using a Cowon X7(I am lazy and love filling the 160 gigs) 5N OCC silver cable, oyaide 3.5mm plugs and the Triad L3. 

Thank you to all the names that I have listed above and probably spelt wrongly (apologies). Really am to lazy to look back at the threads........

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #2,670 of 5,568

Quote:
i have auditioned this today.. they have a very good presentation and does nothing wrong.. the highs are never fatiguing and neither recessed or forward but very detailed and smooth and extended.. but the bass was really lacking to me.. it gave me a hard time finding a seal with the olives so i end up holding both iems while listening..

but i got more involved and poisoned with the um3x's presentation

Man I still never got to try the UM3X. But I've heard many times the Westone 4's lack in the bass department, and maybe it does have to do with the seal, because I thought  the bass was outstanding, but for my taste, maybe a little more Sub bass and less Mid bass would be perfect. (But this is me knit picking) and being weened of Mid Bass for a while now. I would try to keep working on the Fit/seal as I really don;t think it's lacking at all. For example, much more bass and more defined than that of the Shure 535

Edit Spelling And Grammar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back