Westone 4 = Disappointment
Sep 15, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #107 of 265
That`s what makes this forum soo sceptical, nobody hears what the next person does.
Good luck mate :wink:

Sep 15, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #108 of 265

Quote:
If I only had the option of sticking a pair of £300 iems into a headphone socket of a phone or an apple product then I am sorry, I would never of made the purchase in the first place.

Edit: A bit like sticking a scart cable in an hdtv.

Not really. More like watching a Bluray on a $100 player, instead of a $500 player, to review said HDTV. I'm sure one can do that with either one.

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #109 of 265
This thread is too amusing. My face hurts from smiling too much from some of the comments.
Good information in here too. Thanks to some of the experienced IEM users that are very wise.

It's funny, because what if I didn't get a bad pair? What if it was perfectly genuine and functional?
Not saying it was though, but who knows? I will admit, I was expecting more from it regardless.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #110 of 265

Quote:
This thread is too amusing. My face hurts from smiling too much from some of the comments.
Good information in here too. Thanks to some of the experienced IEM users that are very wise.

It's funny, because what if I didn't get a bad pair? What if it was perfectly genuine and functional?
Not saying it was though, but who knows? I will admit, I was expecting more from it regardless.

Reshelled TF10's. that is all

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #113 of 265
These are sounding much better with the medium comply's provided (the long/thin ones)

pretty much sums it up for me. with certain tips, this IEM is unlistenable. having gone through quite a few different tips now, I realise there is not one ultimate be all end all tip. each have the strengths and weaknesses, just that some lean to far towards the latter.

with the short complies (my current 'favourites'), the midrange doesn't sound 'hot' at all. highs and upper midrange sound pretty awesome, and instrument separation is actually very good if you can overlook the 'woolly' sound. the recording itself has to be absolutely faultess and on the acoustically dry end of the scale for the W4 to sound absolutely clean. there's a bit more weight and warmth behind the sound, but the clarity of the lower midrange suffers. abit 'woolly' is the best word to describe it. attack isn't sharp enough, and there's too much bloom. A shame. Really. The overall sound signature as a result just isn't quite enjoyable enough for me, hampered mainly by the veil/bloom/woolly-ness. Whatever you want to call it. An hour into listening, my ears have acclimatised to it, but boy is it still there when I listen to acoustic recordings (assuming it's a good one) where there's no hiding if the timbre, attack/decay doesn't sound realistic.

Well there we go. The W4 are here to stay. They're good. And I bothered to use my shift key more too.:)

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #114 of 265

Quote:
pretty much sums it up for me. with certain tips, this IEM is unlistenable. having gone through quite a few different tips now, I realise there is not one ultimate be all end all tip. each have the strengths and weaknesses, just that some lean to far towards the latter.

with the short complies (my current 'favourites'), the midrange doesn't sound 'hot' at all. highs and upper midrange sound pretty awesome, and instrument separation is actually very good if you can overlook the 'woolly' sound. the recording itself has to be absolutely faultess and on the acoustically dry end of the scale for the W4 to sound absolutely clean. there's a bit more weight and warmth behind the sound, but the clarity of the lower midrange suffers. abit 'woolly' is the best word to describe it. attack isn't sharp enough, and there's too much bloom. A shame. Really. The overall sound signature as a result just isn't quite enjoyable enough for me, hampered mainly by the veil/bloom/woolly-ness. Whatever you want to call it. An hour into listening, my ears have acclimatised to it, but boy is it still there when I listen to acoustic recordings (assuming it's a good one) where there's no hiding if the timbre, attack/decay doesn't sound realistic.

Well there we go. The W4 are here to stay. They're good. And I bothered to use my shift key more too.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am strongly considering exchanging them for the W3' or something else. The W3's are certainly very colored in comparison, but I still haven't been able to enjoy the W4's terribly much, no matter what tips I use, what genre I throw at them. They obviously compare favorably to my CX275's by a fair margin, but even with 5 more hours yesterday my opinion hasn't changed yet. I wasn't a huge fan of the short comply tips. The long/thin ones worked best for me. I do still like the modded tri flanges. They get uncomfortable. Also have been using Shure Olives mostly.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #115 of 265
@milkpowder, W4 ,woolly sounding,must be those horrible comply tips you are using,no disrespect intended .I find they generally have a tendency to make any iem sound woolly  ,certainly the w4 are not the be all ,end all of iem's but i find them to have a very clean and enjoyable sound to my ears but perhaps a bit disappointing that a 4 driver iem does not really sound any better than a 3 driver iem .

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #116 of 265
If you take the time...Milkpowder is a complete veteran of these airwaves for many years.  He knows exactly what he is talking abount.  He describes W4 perfectly.

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #117 of 265
Just received my Westone 4 today and i must admit that i really am loving these. Was a little concerned when i read Katun's impression of them and how quickly he decided to send his back. I'm happy to report that i'll be keeping mine for the foreseeable future! 
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #118 of 265
Trust that Katun's and a few others opinions on the W4 were in the minority. It is a great iem.

Quote:
Just received my Westone 4 today and i must admit that i really am loving these. Was a little concerned when i read Katun's impression of them and how quickly he decided to send his back. I'm happy to report that i'll be keeping mine for the foreseeable future! 
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #119 of 265

Quote:
Trust that Katun's and a few others opinions on the W4 were in the minority. It is a great iem.

Couldn't agree more. It's so comfy and sounds so good! Can't wait to take this on my occasional public commute. Now i'm beginning to think it might be different tips used that is causing such a huge rift in opinions.

These sound nothing like Katun described, to my ears at least.

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #120 of 265
Tips do play a big part. The W4 are finicky about the right tips just the SM3/SM2, Sony EX-series, FX700 and GR07.

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. It's so comfy and sounds so good! Can't wait to take this on my occasional public commute. Now i'm beginning to think it might be different tips used that is causing such a huge rift in opinions.

These sound nothing like Katun described, to my ears at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back