Westone 4 = Disappointment
Sep 8, 2011 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 265

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, so I got these today.

I admire the packaging, that's for sure. The tip choice is even more diverse then what Monster gives you with the Pro Gold. Plenty of tips, sizes, and types to satisfy any listener. I tried the oval grey tips and found those to be a perfect fit. Speaking of fit, these are really quite nice! I've never liked over the ear style IEMs, but these really alter my current line of thinking toward them. Very comfortable, fits great, and isolates surprisingly well. Gotta love that braided cable. No complaints about packaging, accessories, comfort, isolation, or design.

But now, my biggest complaint. The sound.

Popped 'em in my ears and hit play. What? This is it? Never heard more than two drivers per ear, but this is just disappointing. Somewhere in the treble is too hot, not sure where. But it's just a small little breach in the treble that is bugging me and causing fatigue. The sound as a whole just sounds sorta thin and is actually quite boring. Vocals don't even sound very natural. There really is just nothing that stood out as impressive to me, except possibly the separation provided by the four drivers. But then again, nothing to write home about.

Okay, so I take 'em out and try out my beloved FXC51 (heavily EQ'ed might I add). Holy crap! Now this is good sound! Vocals sounded MUCH more realistic, as did pretty much every aspect of the sound. Each part of the sound had better texture and weight, and nothing in the sound bored me. Just more excellent all around. No fatigue either. I'll have to test them a bit more against the W4, but I'll I'm hearing is pure superiority. Makes me wonder why I paid $365 for them and only $25 for the FXC51. I guess you know which one I'll be keeping...

Well, hopefully the PFE and GR07 fair better...

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 265
I think the problem here is a mismatch in your preferred sound signature.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 265

Quote:
burn them in first

BA IEMs shouldn't need any burn-in whatsoever. That being said you should listen to them for an extended session to allow your brain to get used to the sound. Also it's unfair to have one set EQ'd and the other without it. You've fixed what you felt was wrong with one set. I don't think you'll really see the Westone as being worth the money, but you might not see your previous pair as superior in every aspect.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 265
I think you will appreciate and fall in love with the Um3x then. I didn't how the W4 sounded when I tried it out.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 265
Give them more time and they may grow on you. There were plenty of headphones I didn't like at first, but ended up loving. Just listen carefully and make sure you don't keep telling yourself at the back of your mind that these are bad and you don't like them - such an attitude will most certainly prevent you from hearing the headphones properly. You need to be positive - try to convince yourself that these are good headphones, but you just aren't used to the sound signature and can get used to it over time. Something like that.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 265
Quote:
Give them more time and they may grow on you. There were plenty of headphones I didn't like at first, but ended up loving. Just listen carefully and make sure you don't keep telling yourself at the back of your mind that these are bad and you don't like them - such an attitude will most certainly prevent you from hearing the headphones properly. You need to be positive - try to convince yourself that these are good headphones, but you just aren't used to the sound signature and can get used to it over time. Something like that.

Thanks, I'll definitely give them more time.

When I first put them in my ears, I was quite excited to hear such a high end IEM. I had nothing but high expectations. But unfortunately, it just didn't deliver. I'm usually pretty forgiving when judging a headphone, but I guess I've got a slight bias because they are $450 IEMs that have 4 drivers -- the benchmark is set very high. I'll try and have some patience with them though, and may try a bit of EQ'ing. I still do really love the fit and isolation though, enough that it really makes me want to try the W2 instead. (I've heard the W3 has even more treble than these. Ugh, I couldn't do that). I guess I can always try the UM3X sometime too, but I dunno, we'll see.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 265
Ahhhhhhh, I was looking into getting a set of these at the end of the month too
rolleyes.gif

Post more impressions if anything changes though!

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 265
I'm going to say try different tips. The W4 is a great iem so something like this is quite odd.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #13 of 265
Wow.......this is one of the weirdest reviews I 've seen of the W4s. Hot and fatiguing treble, hmm I am stomped by that description. What are you using as source and how have you eq'ed the player? 

I have the W4s and have just changed to using the shure olives tips and my only critism is it lacks punch and liveliness- sounding rather sterile and dull at low volume, besides that, at normal levels it is an incredible iem. Never have I found them hot nor fatiguing  in the treble, if anything the W4s can do with a little more sparkle.

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #14 of 265
Hmm, everything I've read says that the W4's don't have hot/sparkly treble... I'm scared that I will find the W4 boring as well if I do end up buying a pair.

If you get the W3's, you may like the treble even less but you will definitely not find them boring for sure.

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #15 of 265
Yeah, maybe some time and you might adapt to it, but if it doesn't work then it doesn't work. Don't lie to yourself just because it has 4 drivers and people are saying they are loving it. I should have tried the W4 a bit longer so i can have input in it but I didn't so I prefer not to judge the sound since its unfair. The reason why I chose  the um3x over the W4 was mainly due the quality of sound really matched the music I was listening to. So they were the first IEMs that I tested and kinda got me out of my chair. All I can say about W4 are they are neutral period. This might be good in the long run since high end customs are all neutral aimed for the long run rather than coloured sounds. So all depends on your preferences, but do try the Um3x, it might change your view in what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back