Westone 2 True-Fit IEM Appreciation & Impressions Thread...
Jan 10, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #61 of 441
Genisis_ you are a great poster! Please continue to contribute
UMX3 and W2 ?

Let me tell you right now this is not a good comparision because they are too different!! But I will try...

Treble: W2, no doubt.
Midrange: Equal
Bass: UM3X is a bit more detailed and a bit more weight...but not too much.
Soundstage: W2's have the HUGE advantage on distance/pleasure listening but UM3X are non-matched when it comes to intimate distiction of intruments among themselves.

If you tend to listen to music isolating specific instruments...UM3X is your IEM.

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #62 of 441
RECAP:

--If you love and desire IE8 /W3 bass....you DO NOT want W2.

--If you love Etys but wish they had more weight and body....look no further, W2 is your best bet.

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #68 of 441
Spyro,

I like the um2 generally so if I wanted something similar and better, would it be safe to say that I should go with the um3x more than the w2?

I love hearing the details in my music. I like the sound to be crisp but not so much that it would be fatiguing either. I like the bass tight and slam hard at the same time. So again which one does that better, w2 or um3x? Also if you had to personally choose any one IEM then which would it be of the two?

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #70 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass: UM3X is a bit more detailed and a bit more weight...but not too much.

Is it really that close? If so, the W2 is quite impressive. I can live with the W2 if it has similar bass to the UM3X

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #72 of 441
With all Westone products I have always ended up with the complys. In my experience, tri and modded bi flanges cut off the treble more than complys and complys sound more natural all the way around to me. I have not tried any other options with the fit kit since I already went through all of those exercises with the other Westone IEM's I have had.

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #73 of 441
How different is the midrange on the W2 compared to the midrange of UM3x? Is it just as rich? or would I expect it to sound more like im616 etymotic-ish

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #74 of 441
I have not heard the IM616. UM3X midrange is richer sounding. UM3X is more refined sounding but it does have that closed in monitor presentation. Spectacular IEM but after long periods (months) it was so refreshing to listen to an IEM (W3) with a large soundstage again.

W2 is just very balanced, very detailed and a very well engineered IEM. Pretty large soundstage. I think "well-balanced" is thrown around a bit too casually. For example I don't find Etys very well-balanced because they are tilted upwards...or W3 is tilted a bit upwards but mainly downwards (although I like both IEM's). W2 is not the be all - end all...but very balanced and very fun to listen to. Not much at all to criticize unless you are a basshead and the fairly large soundstage keeps it from being boring in any way. It's a definite improvement over UM2 no matter how you slice it.

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #75 of 441
TFP10 and W2:

TFP10 has a bit larger overall sound. A bit softer, smoother, more layered and euphoric sounding. I prefer TFP10 bass over W2 bass. Soundstage very similar in size = large.

W2 is sharper and faster. I prefer the midrange and treble. Midrange is a bit more forward and the treble, a bit sharper (in a good way) like W3. I find W2 overall more detailed and I slightly prefer it over TFP10 for this reason. Ergonomics...W2 in a landslide.

[Take this comparison with a grain of salt because in 7 years on Head-Fi I would say TFP10 has perhaps the least consensus of any IEM I recall on people generally agreeing on what it sounds like. People just seem to hear it differently from one another. It must be very souce dependent]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back