West Sydney "mini" meet
Jul 5, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #16 of 62
First off, many thanks to Nick for hosting this meet. You set the bar, mate. This was easily the most comfortable, well-organised and enjoyable meet I've been to. And your wife didn't even seem to mind her house being filled with headphone geeks! You're a lucky man
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jason's Woo6 SE was just... holy crap. Just like Nick above I was really impressed with the HD600 out of them. I can see why he is so content.

Yeah, this meet has been good for killing upgradeitis for me (for the first time ever). And just remember, its still early days yet for the WA6SE. Not only is it not burned in, it's still using stock tubes - the Princess reputedly takes it to another level entirely.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

However the second song "Hunter and Prey" (I think. Jason?) I really liked, esspecially the solo'ish guitar part towards the end. This was a seriously What phone for me haha.

Yeah, Hunters and Prey, by Angra:

hunters-and-prey.jpg

Onto my impressions:
First up, John's HD800 rig. In some ways this headphone lived up to my expectations, and in others it dissapointed me. With acoustic material, particularly female vocal, it sounded clearly superior to the HD600. I played some Loreena McKennitt through them early on and was impressed with the effortlessness and airines of the sound. But then when I switched to some harder material - in this case Tool's 10,000 days and Lateralus - I was underwhelmed. The HD800 seemed to lack sufficient body and bottom-end presence to make the music engage me, leaving it as more of an intellectual than an emotional experience.

Next, the HE60 > Woo GES. This impressed me immediately. I expected the HE60 to be good at soundstaging/imaging/speed, but what I didnt expect was the full and pleasing mids, and deep bass. Ian's setup with that source and the tube choices in the GES just worked. Ian, you have to figure out which track that was that I was listening to and let me know
biggrin.gif

The GS1000 was another 'phone I'd never heard, and while it did sound pleasing - certainly a much better attempt at a neutral Grado than the MS-Pro, to my tastes - I couldn't get past the comfort issues, and the slightly hollow mids. The RS-1/PS-1 remain undefeated in the Grado lineup to me.

Probably the biggest highlight of the meet was the people, though. It was lots of fun sitting around with a beer and chatting about this hobby with Tom, Ian, Nick, John, and the rest of the crew. Here's to hoping the next meet isn't too far away
beerchug.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #17 of 62
A few pics....
P7040003.jpg

P7040004.jpg

webbie at the start of his cable plumbing quest
P7050006.jpg

convo between a very talented young builder and the guru
P7050007.jpg

woo goodness
P7050005.jpg

lots of audio goodness (especially from the woo/HE60's). Unfortunately webbie couldn't fit the woo/HE60/PD-S901 rig into his car, so i am stuck with it in my house still for the time being
wink.gif

Ps- there is somebody's Back to Mine by Talvin Singh cd here, let me know who's it is and i will forward it on.

Jul 6, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #19 of 62
No comments on the Staxen (007 and Sigmas visible)?

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #20 of 62
That's my Talvin Singh
smily_headphones1.gif
- hold onto it mate and I'll grab it at the next one if you like. Or with the P3. My comments to follow tonight - but in short I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to audition such a diverse range of gear. I'd never heard electrostatics, and yesterday got to try eight sets, wooo!

HE60s blew me away, although I found them to drop off sharply around the 80-100hz region, where the HD800s were neutral all the way down. The B22 illustrated everything I'd read of it, and that is that I need to build one sooner than later if I'm to really broaden my listening experiences.

Thanks again guys, and especially Nick for your generous hospitality.

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #21 of 62
looks like it was a great little meet and in typical Aussie style several pics of headphone geeks with largers in hand
wink.gif
wish I could have been there;
X2 on the next one not being too far away JUZ pull it together man!!
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No comments on the Staxen (007 and Sigmas visible)?

Well I'm sure I could comment no end but, being the owner, I think that defeats the purpose
o2smile.gif

BTW, the full contingent were:

A. The 'Multiple Concurrent Electrostatic Rig' consisting of:
Sources:

* Linn LP12 on Dekstand
AND
* Musical Fidelity A3.5 with option to try/apply TDS True Dimensional Sound Enhancer - Passive Audiophile MA Ultra (via its switch)

Amp:

* Naim 32-5 Pre-Amplifier with Naim Hi-Cap Power Supply and Naim 250 Power Amplifier

Energisers:

* Stax SRD-7SB
* Stax SRD-7Pro

Headphones:

* STAX O2 Mk1 (SR-007 Mk1) (Pro Outlet)
* STAX Sigma 404 (Pro Outlet)
* STAX SR-Sigma (Normal Outlet)
* STAX Lambda Normal (Normal Outlet)

B. The Woo/HE60 Electrostatic Rig consisting of:
Source:

* Pioneer PD-S901

Amplification:
Shunyata Snake Bite to

* Woo Audio GES running Four Matched RCA #12BZ7 Tubes

Headphones:

* Sennheisser HE60

C. The Basic Electrostatic Rig consisting of:
Source:

* Pioneer PD-S901

Amplification:

* Stax SRD-X Pro

Headphones:

* Spritzer modified Koss ESP6 (Normal Outlet)
* Koss ESP950s - recabled with a high grade Stax headphone cable (Pro Outlet)

Jul 6, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #23 of 62
Thank you Nick for organising a great meet, I had a great time. So much great gear to listen to, I just wish I could take it all home to listen to over a period of weeks rather than hours
tongue.gif

One of the things I wanted to do was have a good listen to the electrostatic setups, but I got distracted by John's B22 and HD800
tongue.gif
From the time I did spend with the 'stats, I really enjoyed the Diana Krall (even though I don't enjoy her music all that much) with the Sigmas (? the ear speakers) and the 007s. I listened to some classical (Swan Lake and Belkis, Queen of Sheeba) with the HE60, but didn't get much from it. It was certainly detailed, but I felt it lacked kick in the bottom end which is needed in the Respighi with the trombone and huge bass drum hits. But I'd want more time them and with more music that I'm familiar with to pass any further opinion on them.

The B22 and HD800 were both impressive and I would definitely like to build my own B22 sometime in the future. The HD800 had some amazing detail and quality and the tracks that really stood out for me were from OK Computer by Radiohead. They reproduced details that I hadn't previously heard in the tracks. I didn't get such a wow with Tool though, which I played first as 10000 days is an album I'm fairly familiar with. It sounded good, but not noticeably different to how my setup reproduces it. I would have to agree with Jason's comments that thay particularly shone with female vocals and more acoustic tracks. I'd be really keen to hear how Dream Theater sounds through them.

I spent some time with my amps and the C2C, swapping between different headphones and listening to music I'm familiar with. I enjoyed the MS1 (but I still like my MS2i better
tongue.gif
), they were really fun, had better bass than I expected and were really light. Much easier to move around in than with the aluminium cups on the MS2i.

I also have to (unfortunately) agree with the comment that my AD900 were one of the disappointing cans of the day and that they really are quite similar in sound to the MS2i. I had a bit of a swap between the AD900, K701 and HD600 at the end of the meet while listening to Danse Macabre and found that I actually enjoyed the HD600 the most, despite me not liking the sound of Senheisers when I've heard them previously. The HD600, or HD650, will be something I'll have to have a good listen to at the next meet and see if it would be worth replacing my AD900.

That's all for now, I might have some more to share tomorrow.
Thank you all for bringing so much great gear and yourselves. I had a great time meeting you all (and seeing those I've met before again) and hope to see you all at the next meet.

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #24 of 62
Well that was one great meet, still coming down from it really, and I wish I didn’t have to run off early. One thing you learn from all this is that everyone has a different perspective and agenda, intwined with there own expectations and music tastes, which makes this hobbie so unique. Anyway here are my impressions:

HE60/Woo best out of the electrostat line-up, smooth, warm and detailed. Type of phone you can put on in the evening after a hard day and get lost in oblivion - lovely. The soundstage is wide and big, and the music seems so suspended and effortless.

Jasons PicoDAC/WA6SE/600 combo (not nearly burnt in), the amps refined and detailed together with the 600’s, not at all tubey or overly warm. I was impressed throughout the spectrum, sorry Nick but the CD player you gave Jason sucked, the Pico really showed it up, that is one impressive little DAC. Once burnt in I’d love to get the opportunity to have a further listen to the WA6SE. On another note I personally dislike the stock Senn cable with vengeance, I think this it’s holding a lot back at the moment with this set-up, I only wish there was another cable available to try, maybe next time.

Elliott’s Jaycar and Grados (yellow ones) impressed me. Beautifully detailed, and very musical - great build and excellent sonics.

Marks GD audio C2C, I’m still scratching my head over this. I’ve never heard the 600’s do bass like that. Everything was smooth, with nice texture - with really punchy detailed bass. I really liked what I heard, just not sure how to take it. Might need another session to get my head around that amp.

Alex k's preamp, I tried a few unfamiliar phones - and got some very great sounds. I was taken by the overall power this beasty could muster, I didn’t get a chance to plug in a senn. It was great to finally meet the man behind the famous Jaycar build.

Cameron thanks for you laptop, really appreciate it.

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #25 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry Nick but the CD player you gave Jason sucked, the Pico really showed it up, that is one impressive little DAC.

Yes! Thinking back this was the biggest "shock" for me in the whole day.
When we switched it over the first time both Jason and I exclaimed at how shockingly better the Pico was.
It was a perfect re-enforcement of SOURCE MATTERS!

That being said the CDP was still better than my non-existant CDP which I have to remedy soon...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And just remember, its still early days yet for the WA6SE. Not only is it not burned in, it's still using stock tubes - the Princess reputedly takes it to another level entirely.
biggrin.gif

Indeed. I am really looking forward to giving the Woo/600 combo another whirl at the UNSW meet
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Yeah, Hunters and Prey, by Angra

That's it! That is a great song to test a really wide variety of aspects of a headphone.

Quote:

Elliott’s Jaycar and Grados (yellow ones) impressed me. Beautifully detailed, and very musical - great build and excellent sonics.

I'm really happy that other's felt that way too. They were great to listen too.

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #26 of 62
Yeah sorry about the Marantz guys, it was an emergency source for Jason, it's great in a medium-fi speaker set up, but as much use as **** on a fish for a hi-fi headphone set up- no offence taken, thta's why i use one of webbies cd players in my headphone rig
wink.gif

It did force Jason into breaking out the pico though, which was a huge bonus, after listening to the pico through the Woo, it definitely lived up to my expectations, a great little dac for sure which still looks just amazing.

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #27 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'm sure I could comment no end but, being the owner, I think that defeats the purpose
o2smile.gif

Energisers:

* Stax SRD-7SB
* Stax SRD-7Pro

Headphones:

* STAX O2 Mk1 (SR-007 Mk1) (Pro Outlet)
* STAX Sigma 404 (Pro Outlet)
* STAX SR-Sigma (Normal Outlet)
* STAX Lambda Normal (Normal Outlet)

Webbie, I didn't realise you had some Sigma/404s as well. What do you think of them? I also have an 007 Mk 1 and a Lambda Nova Signature.

Jul 6, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #28 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah sorry about the Marantz guys, it was an emergency source for Jason, it's great in a medium-fi speaker set up, but as much use as **** on a fish for a hi-fi headphone set up- no offence taken, thta's why i use one of webbies cd players in my headphone rig
wink.gif

Oh no need to apologise at all, it was my bad for not having a digital transport there for myself. I bought a new Thinkpad a few weeks ago from Lenovo direct, expecting to have it here for this meet... and then find out they're shipping it from Hong Kong ><

Quote:

On another note I personally dislike the stock Senn cable with vengeance, I think this it’s holding a lot back at the moment with this set-up, I only wish there was another cable available to try, maybe next time.

That'll be remedied soon, I'm getting a headphone recable made of Cryoparts wire - the same as used in my RCAs - along with a Furutech plug and Cardas sennheiser connectors. Qusp dubbed it the 'Vortex'
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #29 of 62
^^ :vortex
atsmile.gif
smile:

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #30 of 62
Well that was one fine meet, Nick. My thanks to you for your excellent hosting and letting us all take over your home for the day. And I think poo summed it all up - a mini meet is a handful of folks, generally around one table - this was definitely a MEET - a dozen enthusiasts with a diverse range of equipment, knowledge, love of music and a willingness to share, consider alternate options and discover together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't agree with all that you proposed, but honestly enjoy being challenged on subjects that I 'take for granted'.

And yes, Covenant, the biggest highlight is meeting the people, particularly with the relaxed atmosphere Nick provides for us to sit around, chat and share.

WesternSydneyHeadFi-090705-001.jpg

The Ever Smiling Host

WesternSydneyHeadFi-090705-019.jpg

THE DIYers - yes, even Nick's son has built his own amp!

I'm particularly glad everyone enjoyed the range of electrostats I was able to bring and hook up. The Gammas arrived from New Zealand first thing Monday LOL.
rolleyes.gif

I must concur with Nick that Mark's GD amp was a definite eye opener for all it delivered to a wide range of dynamic headphones. Very impressive. Similarly Elliot's ultrasmall Starving Student build was a unique and entertaining piece of kit, and not short on delivering impressive sound.

WesternSydneyHeadFi-090705-012.jpg

Shhh Meet In Progress

I too was impressed that Jack Wu is providing such quality in his dynamic amps as with his electrostatic ones. I agree with Covenant - there's still so much potential to be unravelled in Jason's Woo6 SE.

Poor Nick, a portable focussed listener, was a little surprised by the volume of full sized rigs I think, but obviously enjoyed his time with the SR-71 and iBasso goodies (In fact I think he was immersed under the SR-71 at the start of the morning, not even aware people were turning up!
tongue.gif
).

Congratulations to Tom on winning the raffle - looking forward to your impressions of the T4 as it burns in.

WesternSydneyHeadFi-090705-015.jpg

The Draw
WesternSydneyHeadFi-090705-016.jpg

Happy Winner

My hand is up for the P3+ and T3 prototype review opportunity.
biggrin.gif

I also appreciated the wide range of systems on hand and, like Nick, felt that there just wasn't enough time to truly explore each (typical meet issue/conditions
rolleyes.gif
).

WesternSydneyHeadFi-090705-007.jpg

Hard At Work

I also must compliment John on his Beta22 build. Very impressive both sonically and in presentation. Linking it to the HD800s for the day gave it a really good workout I'm sure.

WesternSydneyHeadFi-090705-006.jpg

The Headphone EVERYONE had to try
biggrin.gif

As to the HD800s I also really appreciated their all-enclosing feel, like the larger ESPs with their wide diaphragms but with a much snugger fit; VERY comfortable.

I picked a few songs I knew to run them through their paces and must stress all of my comments really are about the overall system. I really would like to hear them through a number of sources/amps. That said, though, I found them to be overall drier in their presentation than the O2s, with not so much of a resonance to instruments at the top end of the spectrum.

Physically they were VERY comfortable; light, enclosing, warm but not sweaty like Stax leather. They reminded me of good snow gear-if only these could be my ski-ing earmuffs!

The dry presentation, to me, doesn't ring as true to my preferred electrostatic sound, but it does have very good separation and placement of instruments and voices across and within the soundstage. However I did find it to be more congested in complex passages than an O2Mk1. Overall this was a quite impressive dynamic setup that with some tweaking could lead me to considering dynamics - if it was this good without the need to go to a balanced setup. I found the soundstage to be a little stretched out but my main concerns were really my preference for it to be a little more resonant/less dry and, paradoxically, a need for clearer instrument separation in complex passages. As folks say, bass presentation in dynamics is quite different to ESPs and my ESP bias prefers the O2s and Sigma 404s - but that's me, and my opinions. As always, YMMV.

I also agree with Covenant and elliott42's assessment that the HD 800 worked well with some material and was less than impressive with others. Like Covenant I also tried a Loreena McKennitt track and enjoyed an accurate detailed sound as I was used to with the ESPs. But once my music selection became complex or aggressive I also felt a lack of bottom-end presence, which I know is quite a comment coming from a HE60 owner.
rolleyes.gif

WesternSydneyHeadFi-090705-024.jpg

These Sigma 404s need driving
WesternSydneyHeadFi-090705-025.jpg

Yeah, That's better

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Webbie, I didn't realise you had some Sigma/404s as well. What do you think of them?

Well, John, you're the reason I have one. When I first joined HeadFi you were so impressed with yours that you were comparing them almost equally to the O2 Mk1 and I thought, naively I must admit, that I might find them to be my economical alternative (giving I was coming at that time from owning just the Sigma Normals as my ESP for the previous decade or more).

As it turns out part of my HeadFi journey for the last 2 1/2 years is recognising how much, although I'm a HiFi buff, I put my father/ husband/ breadwinner/ family/ friend roles ahead of my musical enjoyment. I've had the parts for the Sigma 404 for over a year but have always found other parts of life more important than putting aside the time to build them. But if I commit to another to do something, it gets done. So that's why I put in the meet thread they'd be there. I finally put both them and my Lambda Normals together just last week. Initial listening is very pleasing and confirms what I've read on various threads.

Give me a little time for a serious assessment/comparison but, being a Sigma Normal fan - which I've held onto, as a seperate ESP to keep, as you advised when discussing your Sigma 404 impressions - I already know these'll be keepers. There's just nothing quite like a well amplified Sigma soundstage, both Normal and 404.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I must give an extra special mention to Ian, your tables, time in setting up, equipment and advice were invaluable mate.

No probs, mate.

Quote:

Unfortunately webbie couldn't fit the woo/HE60/PD-S901 rig into his car, so I am stuck with it in my house still for the time being
wink.gif

But only for the one night, mate. I couldn't put your family through that gear and your concerted listening taking over the family dinner table every night now, could I?
wink_face.gif

WesternSydneyHeadFi-090705-017.jpg

Enjoyment

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wish I could take it all home to listen to over a period of weeks rather than hours
tongue.gif

Sounds like your family is uber accommodating, too? I mean that would be a LOT of gear to have take over anybody's home space for a period of weeks...

Quote:

Also thanks to Ian for hauling that massive amount of equipment, huge effort.

Yeah, I'm still putting things back in their regular places at home
rolleyes.gif
But well worth it to give everyone as wide a range of stats experience as I could provide.
o2smile.gif
... Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd never heard electrostatics, and yesterday got to try eight sets, wooo!

WesternSydneyHeadFi-090705-009.jpg

I Wonder If Webbie might part with these...

Quote:

HE60/Woo best out of the electrostat line-up, smooth, warm and detailed. Type of phone you can put on in the evening after a hard day and get lost in oblivion - lovely. The soundstage is wide and big, and the music seems so suspended and effortless.

It doesn't need to be a hard day but I appreciate your comments no end - because too often they've entranced me like the mythical Greek Sirens and it's been 3am of the next working day before I've known it
eek.gif

WesternSydneyHeadFi-090705-013.jpg

Enjoying the HE60s and Woo GES

Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...to be honest my simple HD650 DAC1USB rig still sounds damn impressive to my ears... so to think there is a little room left for even more is a treat!

I had a couple of conversations along those lines at the meet - hearing about someone who had come to consider an upgrade and now recognised the sonic value they already had in their current rig. I must make two comments on that. First, even with my O2 and He60 rigs that impressed at the meet I still keep a very open mind and seek whether there's something else to be gained sonically out there. I return home and am more than satisfied with the choices I have already made, but I consider tweaks and combos I may not yet have tried. The continuous search for all that can be heard off the recordings: it's constantly there but kept in perspective - enjoy the present yet remain open to seeking even more, if its achievable, in the future
wink_face.gif
. My second point is to remember that we were at a meet, with the resultant meet conditions of multiple rigs and sounds running alongside one another.

After such a time between meets for me it was a serious reminder that meet conditions are definitely an inhibiting factor to clearly hearing the differences/eccentricities between headphones/systems. I tried a random track, Loreena McKennitt's Bonny Swans, in a variety of amps and phones, including my better combos, and felt that although there were differences/preferences there, they definitely weren't as marked as when I compare equipment myself at home. I still found I could ID preferences, particularly with quite defining characteristics such as the tone of the Grados compared to the ATs or the Senns, or the bass drive of the Audio-gd C-2C, but meets are less of an analysis set of circumstances to really come to your best conclusions.

That said, though, I enjoyed my listens to the MS1s, the HD600s and 650s, the AD900 and k701s, etc. Elliott's detailed 'standard' Jaycar provides a great base to mod further from and Marks GD audio C2C was impressive with all phones for its driving punchy bass. And I agree with johnwmclean - the audio C2C has a nice inviting sound across the spectrum that, to me at least, differentiated well between the various headphones, showing some of the strengths and weaknesses of each IMHO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was a perfect re-enforcement of SOURCE MATTERS!

Agreed no end. It's not just source, though; it really is the full chain - GIGO - and the synergy of the overall blend of components (including the components within those!
wink_face.gif
). It's amazing just what a difference one change can sometimes make. For instance, Nick, I haven't even looked inside said Marantz but maybe just a ZAP Filter 2 Mod might make it a whole different player.
confused_face(1).gif

Quote:

And your wife didn't even seem to mind her house being filled with headphone geeks! You're a lucky man

x 2, Nick. Please thank your family for us all once again.

Quote:

Next, the HE60 > Woo GES. This impressed me immediately. I expected the HE60 to be good at soundstaging/imaging/speed, but what I didn’t expect was the full and pleasing mids, and deep bass. Ian's setup with that source and the tube choices in the GES just worked. Ian, you have to figure out which track that was that I was listening to and let me know

Yeah, sorry I couldn't immediately re-identify it when you wanted it later on in the day - I've got so much music I'll recognise a track but I'm hopeless with identifying the name of the track straight away (particularly when it's on a compilation of good tracks
rolleyes.gif
). It was Touch by Christopher Hardy featuring tars, percussion, drums and marimba.

WesternSydneyHeadFi-090705-018.jpg

Time to relax and enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back