Weirdest stuff you can buy online (at amazon/ebay and alike sites.)
Aug 25, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #122 of 123
Thanks!

I love the strange old laws - spent a bit of time researching them during law school in Oregon. Some favorites:

1. They pulled it off the books, but it used to be illegal to display a hypnotized person.

2. There's a bit of law about the illegality of possessing a gray machine. What the? Turns out a gray machine is a mechanized gambling device, something like a slot machine. You're not allowed to have a device that produces a randomized result for betting. Suppose a random number generating program could fall under that. Interesting, but rarely used.

3. Since Oregon became a state in 1859, they had some interesting laws about slaves. (For the record, I think slavery is dead wrong, deeply oppose it and support civil rights). Anyhow, I pulled very old volumes in the Supreme Court library about it. At one time, slaves were not allowed to stay overnight in the state. You had to get them outside the borders or on a ship or something. Lots of other fascinating stuff, too. Friends and I would sit around with open mouths about how people were treated back then.

By the way, the Supreme Court library up there used to be a creaky old place with a 19th century vibe. Great place to study, too. Supreme Court Justices were usually hanging around and would tell you to **** if you socialized. That's where you went when you had to study without distractions.

As for odd products, we recently came across the skull my father has. No, not his own. But one he bought from another student when he was in pharmacy school. I tried to find a value, but it seems that eBay restricts the sale of body parts. Then again, it might be fun to keep. Ambrose Bierce, one of my heroes (a noted author who saw real action in the US Civil War; his "Devil's Dictionary" is well worth seeking out and reading) kept a skull on his desk. Maybe I will do the same.

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #123 of 123
^ Great read Uncle Erik....

Quote:
You're not allowed to have a device that produces a randomized result for betting. Suppose a random number generating program could fall under that. Interesting, but rarely used.

A friend of mine used to say that the generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back