Webcam with good audio?
Jan 25, 2022 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
I need a webcam occasionally for meetings. I bought a Rollei and it doesn't get along with the office computer. Worse, people say I sound like I'm inside a tunnel over the mic so I have to use a headset to be heard.

Can anybody recommend a good 1080p webcam with great quality audio? My seating position is a bit more than arms-length from the cam, so I need a good shotgun mic, directional.

Feb 1, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 14
Have you considered a wired lavalier mic? Meaning just keep your webcam and use a secondary mic for input? A clip-on lav isn't very noticeable and the sound quality is generally very good. They can be had pretty cheap, too.

Feb 2, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 14
Have you considered a wired lavalier mic? Meaning just keep your webcam and use a secondary mic for input? A clip-on lav isn't very noticeable and the sound quality is generally very good. They can be had pretty cheap, too.
Thanks, yeah this would be a very good audio solution. But I'd like a totally hands-off solution where I don't have to wear a headset or a wired device. It's nice to have the cam on top of the screen and be able to type and do other stuff without getting wires caught in my keyboard etc.

Feb 2, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 14
An alternative solution would be something like a shotgun mic--or a mic mounted on an arm like you're a YouTuber. Positioned correctly, it would both be hidden from view and should have fantastic audio quality. I've actually seen some people do this on Zoom/Teams.

If you're set on a webcam, I had a Logitech at one point that seemed to have better audio quality than the multitude of no-names on Amazon. But, I think you might be a little far back from the actual webcam for any of them to be "great" in terms of audio. I could be mistaken and someone else might have better experience with one I'm not familiar with.

Feb 2, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks, this is a great suggestion. If I had these meetings often enough I would probably do that. As it is, I'm looking for an el-cheapo solution.

Feb 2, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 14
Totally--lmk what you end up doing. I never found a great solution that I was willing to pay for... I feel like people are somewhat forgiving for audio and video quality for virtual stuff so I didn't overthink it.

Oct 21, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 14
Look for webcams with built-in microphones that have noise-canceling features to ensure clear audio quality. Many well-known brands offer webcams with excellent audio capabilities. You can also consider external microphones that can be paired with webcams to enhance audio quality further. In addition to high-quality audio, some webcams come with additional features that could be beneficial for your needs. For example, you might want to explore webcams with a POS text inserter option, allowing you to overlay important information or captions onto your video feed. This can be particularly useful for presentations or demonstrations.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 14
I tried a few, none of them are what I wanted. I bought a Rollei but the audio from the mic is so bad I have to wear a headset or nobody can hear me. I then bought a Logitech c925e which has good audio and video (even in low light) but the mic cannot be turned off, so I have to unplug it whenever I'm not using it. The trend seems to be that companies expect people to either be stupid or completely tolerant of invasions of privacy, or both.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #9 of 14
I tried a few, none of them are what I wanted. I bought a Rollei but the audio from the mic is so bad I have to wear a headset or nobody can hear me. I then bought a Logitech c925e which has good audio and video (even in low light) but the mic cannot be turned off, so I have to unplug it whenever I'm not using it. The trend seems to be that companies expect people to either be stupid or completely tolerant of invasions of privacy, or both.
I was also looking for Mic / Cam solution, tried the Logitech streamcam which is sort of the same level as your C925e. I changed it to an unused GoPro with a capture card and a as a mic the " Rode Videomic GO II " . Now I am very happy with the mic/sound, the GoPro with the capture card not so satisfied with yet. Totally agree with the quote " either be stupid or completely tolerant of invasions of privacy, or both. "

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 14
I use a Shure mic meant for music and a Scarlett audio interface. About $250 all in. My friends notice my audio quality difference. I expect other makes are just as good.

Oct 27, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 14
I use a Shure mic meant for music and a Scarlett audio interface. About $250 all in. My friends notice my audio quality difference. I expect other makes are just as good.
I was sort of new to this " Scarlett audio interface" looks interesting , will check it out. Thanks

Oct 27, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #12 of 14
I was sort of new to this " Scarlett audio interface" looks interesting , will check it out. Thanks
I have those because I was recording music at home during Covid. You might be able to 1/2 my investment, I am not sure. A podcast oriented microphone is going to have an audio interface built in and will be optimized for a desktop environment. But like I said my friends and my daughter's friends have commented on the sound quality. So it is not my imagination reinforcing my purchase.

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #14 of 14
Another good options is something like the Motu M2 audio interface with a Rode PodMic which is what I currently use
Thanks, looks a bit more expensive but i will try to find something used

Users who are viewing this thread

Back