Warning: newbie question
Jan 15, 2020 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Death_Block

1000+ Head-Fier
So this newbie bought an Astell & Kernn Kann cube. and after the great reviews its had I'm still glad I got It. alsothough reluctantly. Sound quality sacrificed for power. Compared to the SP model. And me being a floppy penis bought it as it runs a dual DAC 9038. But appareltly its not the best DAC chip out there. I could have easily got the SP1000. Aywho, I got it anyway joining the hype train (and again my own **** up) it can power 300 ohms headphones. This is where the **** up really begins. I dont have uber ohms head phones. I run a meansly Audio camptfire Solaris. Due to my silly goof I have thins DAP that can power australia, to only run on something that can work on the breath of a sleepy human. I'm asking for advice, is there a point of keeing it? ir not what would be something that can match its sound, yet not requiring its power?

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 11
So this newbie bought an Astell & Kernn Kann cube. and after the great reviews its had I'm still glad I got It. alsothough reluctantly. Sound quality sacrificed for power. Compared to the SP model. And me being a floppy penis bought it as it runs a dual DAC 9038. But appareltly its not the best DAC chip out there. I could have easily got the SP1000. Aywho, I got it anyway joining the hype train (and again my own **** up) it can power 300 ohms headphones. This is where the **** up really begins. I dont have uber ohms head phones. I run a meansly Audio camptfire Solaris. Due to my silly goof I have thins DAP that can power australia, to only run on something that can work on the breath of a sleepy human. I'm asking for advice, is there a point of keeing it? ir not what would be something that can match its sound, yet not requiring its power?

Hi @Death_Block,

Subjectively & personally, not a fan of AK DAPs...especially the Kann Cube for various reasons...among the chief reason being it makes a good self defence weapon, nothing more...
So unless you want something pricey which could deter any possible thieves, you're better off selling it but that's just my humble opinion...

Anyway, if you're after actual sound quality, I suggest looking into the Cowon Plenue D or Plenue D2 though subjectively & personally, they are the same sonically but the D2 has shorter battery life & a dodgy 2.5 mm Balanced (I say dodgy as I don't like 2.5 mm sockets, there's actually nothing wrong with the socket nor will one subjectively hear a difference unless it's perception & expectation bias).

If you want to spend a bit more, Fiio M11 Pro is a good choice though battery life is average, especially on 4.4 Balanced...
Otherwise, iBasso DX150 is solid & amp card changing can be interesting, I would also suggest looking into the DX 160 if you don't care about amp cards...

As a final note, truth be tell, whether you need it or not, nothing wrong with supposedly driving 300 Ohms if necessary though realistically, most DAPs, can run 300 Ohms...just not well if they don't have obvious high power though what helps more in driving high impedance is Current...
Most high impedance headphones aren't all that great either overall but that's just personal subjectiveness...

Feel free to ask more when you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 16, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 11
Hey Death_Block

I trialed the Khan Cube and spent about 4 hours with it (along with the original Khan and the SR15). I prefer a warmer sound overall and so I found the A&K house sound a little too crisp and clean for my liking. However, I couldn't fault the sound quality that came out of the Cube. I thought it was clean, crisp and detailed. the UI was also very fast, and using Tidal Hifi/Master on it was great. I would go as far to say that it was only the lack of warmth (IMO) that stopped me buying it. The fact that it is built like an Imperial Star Destroyer was not a deal breaker for me.

Separately I also trialed the CA Solaris. Although I suspect there is a bit of dry wit with your use of 'measley' I actually think the Solaris is a very good IEM. I wonder if it is the pairing that might be the issue for your preference? I found the Solaris to have quite a hard hitting base that may, for some, get a bit fatiguing. I also felt that the highs were a tad high (again IMO and for my preference). When this is paired with the Cube it is possible that you are getting a more clean reference than you perhaps you would like? This is just a thought, and may not be the case.

When all said and done, you know your own preference and if you think you have made a mistake buying the Cube then listen to your gut. It's a pain I know, and when you drop £1,500 on it it feels doubly upsetting. Have you had it less than 14 days? If you bought it online in the UK then by law you can get a refund, no questions asked. Some places might even have a 30 day policy. If not then I think the best option would be to put it up for sale on this site. You will likely have to take a little bit of a hit on price as it is now second hand, but you should be able to recoup a fair chunk of cash.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 11
Hey Death_Block

I trialed the Khan Cube and spent about 4 hours with it (along with the original Khan and the SR15). I prefer a warmer sound overall and so I found the A&K house sound a little too crisp and clean for my liking. However, I couldn't fault the sound quality that came out of the Cube. I thought it was clean, crisp and detailed. the UI was also very fast, and using Tidal Hifi/Master on it was great. I would go as far to say that it was only the lack of warmth (IMO) that stopped me buying it. The fact that it is built like an Imperial Star Destroyer was not a deal breaker for me.

Separately I also trialed the CA Solaris. Although I suspect there is a bit of dry wit with your use of 'measley' I actually think the Solaris is a very good IEM. I wonder if it is the pairing that might be the issue for your preference? I found the Solaris to have quite a hard hitting base that may, for some, get a bit fatiguing. I also felt that the highs were a tad high (again IMO and for my preference). When this is paired with the Cube it is possible that you are getting a more clean reference than you perhaps you would like? This is just a thought, and may not be the case.

When all said and done, you know your own preference and if you think you have made a mistake buying the Cube then listen to your gut. It's a pain I know, and when you drop £1,500 on it it feels doubly upsetting. Have you had it less than 14 days? If you bought it online in the UK then by law you can get a refund, no questions asked. Some places might even have a 30 day policy. If not then I think the best option would be to put it up for sale on this site. You will likely have to take a little bit of a hit on price as it is now second hand, but you should be able to recoup a fair chunk of cash.
Oh, by 'measley' I meant they are only 10 ohm IEM's. I think from what I remember. I think they sound fantastic. My main concern is all the money going into the power of the kann cube instead to sacrifice the power, for a better sounding one. Would I be wrong to say DAP's at that price, quality in music will be be very similar to other DAP's then only the sound signature changes between brands? Anywho thaks for your advice. I bought it off ebay for second hand price.

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 11
Hi @Death_Block,

Subjectively & personally, not a fan of AK DAPs...especially the Kann Cube for various reasons...among the chief reason being it makes a good self defence weapon, nothing more...
So unless you want something pricey which could deter any possible thieves, you're better off selling it but that's just my humble opinion...

Anyway, if you're after actual sound quality, I suggest looking into the Cowon Plenue D or Plenue D2 though subjectively & personally, they are the same sonically but the D2 has shorter battery life & a dodgy 2.5 mm Balanced (I say dodgy as I don't like 2.5 mm sockets, there's actually nothing wrong with the socket nor will one subjectively hear a difference unless it's perception & expectation bias).

If you want to spend a bit more, Fiio M11 Pro is a good choice though battery life is average, especially on 4.4 Balanced...
Otherwise, iBasso DX150 is solid & amp card changing can be interesting, I would also suggest looking into the DX 160 if you don't care about amp cards...

As a final note, truth be tell, whether you need it or not, nothing wrong with supposedly driving 300 Ohms if necessary though realistically, most DAPs, can run 300 Ohms...just not well if they don't have obvious high power though what helps more in driving high impedance is Current...
Most high impedance headphones aren't all that great either overall but that's just personal subjectiveness...

Feel free to ask more when you need.

Sound quality wise, would those suggested DAP's be a downgrade? or similar sound quality?

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 11
So heres the thing, if you only ever use iems on the go or with a dap, id say sell it and get either the SP1000 or sonys new zx507 dap. I currently own and use the A&K SR15, and found its sound signature better than the kann cube and its cheaper. Again my taste, but i would say, sell it. Unless you plan on using planars on the go or hard to drive dynamics.

Jan 16, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 11
Sound quality wise, would those suggested DAP's be a downgrade? or similar sound quality?

Honestly, subjectively & personally, for me...the suggested DAPs are a definite NO on downgrade in sound & possibly equal or better than your AK but your mileage will vary which is why demos are paramount...

Also, it depends on your needs as personally, I go for SOUND QUALITY above all else & usually, what AK asks for their DAPs, doesn't equate to the dollar value by any stretch regarding SQ...

Also, your Solaris has low impedance which as a general rule, likes Power so it doesn't take much to get to a good listening level so it's not measly by any means...
However, Current is actually more useful for head gear at any impedance as that will help ensure proper driveability & dynamics.
The other thing to consider is how the gear is tuned & synergy it has, this goes for source as well as head gear.

Hope this makes sense.

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 11
So heres the thing, if you only ever use iems on the go or with a dap, id say sell it and get either the SP1000 or sonys new zx507 dap. I currently own and use the A&K SR15, and found its sound signature better than the kann cube and its cheaper. Again my taste, but i would say, sell it. Unless you plan on using planars on the go or hard to drive dynamics.
Well the idea was maybe using it for a hifi system to run some speakers for the room when I'm home, or is that just silly talk?

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 11
Hi @Death_Block,

Just my 2 cents...

@Tsukuyomi gives good advice though personally & subjectively, they wouldn't be my DAP picks but they are still solid choices...

Honestly, if you're going to run speakers with a DAP, you might as well get an all in one solution like any of the following :

Devialet Reactor 600 Or 900
Naim Mu-so Qb 2nd Gen
Mu-So 2nd Gen

However, out of the three, the Reactor would be more worth it & easier to set up.

As a final note, there's nothing wrong in whatsoever running a DAP to a hifi system just to get the sound out to speakers but it can be potentially messy to set up for various reasons, the chief among them being messing around with interconnect cables & unless you're happy to keep walking back & forth just to change tracks or volume.
Also, most hifi amps, even proper receivers don't always have Bluetooth or wifi.

Hope this is useful & makes sense, feel free to ask more when necessary.

Jan 21, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #10 of 11
Well the idea was maybe using it for a hifi system to run some speakers for the room when I'm home, or is that just silly talk?
I mean, it is possible, some people do dock DAPs at home to a system with speakers. but its not worth it to be honest, its much easier to just have your system hooked up with a legitimate source (laptop, pc, etc..) attempting to run any speakers off the Kann cube is... not viable to be honest. but it is do-able. anything is do-able.

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #11 of 11
It depends on which 9038 you're talking about. I have no experience with the mobile (which is what the DAP must be using) but the 9038 Pro is the top of the ESS line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back