Warm sounding Solid State (SS) Headphone Amps
Aug 27, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #31 of 47
Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #33 of 47
HDV 820 has a very smooth warm sound. It warmed up the bass very well on my 800S while expanding the soundstage and detail vs my Burson amp. Recommended!

Aug 31, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #35 of 47
I was wondering what solid state amps offer a warm sound signature (or 'tubey').

I realize this is of course somewhat relative, it may sound different from person to person, and the combination of equipment matters greatly (opamps, headphones used, musical taste...).

Still, what do you consider to be warm sounding solid state amp in any price range, DIY included?

Often found Marantz products tend to have a warm signature

I've recently built the diy Whammy headphone amp from the Pass diyaudio site (pcbs available in their store) it was designed by Wayne Colburn who has been Nelsons Pass's lead designer for the last 24 years at Pass Labs he normally designs amps like the $45000 Pass Laboratories Xs Phono preamplifier and the $3500 HPA-1 headphone amp and has had a hand in a string of high end products.

Wayne's previous gift to the diy community was a phono stage called the Pearl which is regarded as one of the best phono stages available.

Back to the Whammy safe to say with the designers back ground its a very good headamp the parts cost is sub $200 and imho it will quiet happily mix it up with amps cost $1000 +. It uses a single dual op-amp which makes op-amp rolling is easy. I have been trying out the Burson V6 classic and Vivid discrete op-amps in mine and with the V6 Classic its sound signature has a touch of high end tube warmth to it. Not many Whammy's have been built so far but once the word gets out I think the odds are good it will become another classic like the Pearl.

More info in the link

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pass-diy-headphone-amp-whammy.877569/

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #36 of 47
Your source will have as much effect as the amp - generally, a DAC with an AKM DAC chip or R2R ladder will sound warmer than a DAC with an ESS SABRE chip. ...Listening to blues via an ADI-2 DAC (AKM AK4490 chip) paired with a warm amp like a Violectric V200 or Arcam rHead is pure bliss.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #37 of 47
maybe the corda jazz-ff?

No. From what I have heard from mine it is transparent. I don't have much time on it but I think the value of the Corda Jazz ff is that it absolutely does not color anything.

I would say it leans towards analytical while not being harsh.

Sep 1, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #38 of 47
No. From what I have heard from mine it is transparent. I don't have much time on it but I think the value of the Corda Jazz ff is that it absolutely does not color anything.

I would say it leans towards analytical while not being harsh.
Fair enough
I don’t have deep experience w/ tube amps but was basing that more on the mfg description

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #39 of 47
Look for amps with an LT1364 op-amp. IME, it's a very wam, sweet, dense sounding op-amp, but still has ample clarity and soundstage.

Sep 3, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #40 of 47
Such amps are likely distorting and harming the sound. What I suggest is getting an excellent, transparent amp, and if you want a warmer more laid back sound get a headphone that sounds like this e.g. ZMF.

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #42 of 47
Such amps are likely distorting and harming the sound. What I suggest is getting an excellent, transparent amp, and if you want a warmer more laid back sound get a headphone that sounds like this e.g. ZMF.
Well, it's actually within spec for the circuit I use it in (little dot i+), as best I can tell--correct me if I'm wrong. It's a big improvement over stock. I agree, though, that it's best to go with an op-amp that is transparent and leave any coloration to tubes, if you want them, and cans.

Even the guys at objective labs seem to think that there's some degree of variation in op-amps that are at-spec.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #43 of 47
Well, it's actually within spec for the circuit I use it in (little dot i+), as best I can tell--correct me if I'm wrong. It's a big improvement over stock. I agree, though, that it's best to go with an op-amp that is transparent and leave any coloration to tubes, if you want them, and cans.

I was speaking of amps in general, sorry. I am super weary of solid state amps (and DACs) that are labeled as particularly warm or laid back sounding.I don't really want an amp designed with a certain sound signature in mind, I want an amp designed to deliver impeccable measurable performance for the money with minimal compromise.

I tend to suggest amps that have excellent build quality in all areas, use a discrete circuit (and for tube amps, are not point to point wired...), minimal distortion and noise and crosstalk, extended frequency response, low output impedance, good (preferably adjustable) gain setttings, ample power ratings, etc. Amps designed around shortest signal path with minimal signal deteriorating components within them and the best quality components for the money. For headphone solid state amps, that leads me to recommend Kevin Gilmore (and/or Birgir Gudjonsson) designs the most, the Dynalos being the most common ones (e.g. HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 and GS-1 and GS-X Mk2, Mjolnir Audio Dynalos and Pure BiPolar). Such amps always clearly outclass the rest to my ears.

But first and foremost I recommend doing extensive research into all the ones you are considering when shopping for an amp or anything else really.

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #44 of 47
I was speaking of amps in general, sorry. I am super weary of solid state amps (and DACs) that are labeled as particularly warm or laid back sounding.I don't really want an amp designed with a certain sound signature in mind, I want an amp designed to deliver impeccable measurable performance for the money with minimal compromise.

I tend to suggest amps that have excellent build quality in all areas, use a discrete circuit (and for tube amps, are not point to point wired...), minimal distortion and noise and crosstalk, extended frequency response, low output impedance, good (preferably adjustable) gain setttings, ample power ratings, etc. Amps designed around shortest signal path with minimal signal deteriorating components within them and the best quality components for the money. For headphone solid state amps, that leads me to recommend Kevin Gilmore (and/or Birgir Gudjonsson) designs the most, the Dynalos being the most common ones (e.g. HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 and GS-1 and GS-X Mk2, Mjolnir Audio Dynalos and Pure BiPolar). Such amps always clearly outclass the rest to my ears.

But first and foremost I recommend doing extensive research into all the ones you are considering when shopping for an amp or anything else really.

I agree entirely. I think this op-amp delivers something close to ideal performance--low output imp, more than sufficient current output, fast enough slew rate, well within supply voltage required. It sounds warm to my ears, as I prefer a lean signature, but doesn't appear to produce clipping. It is slightly less transparent than my AD823, though--which, curiously, supplies a very low maximal output current, at 15mA.

Wish I had the money for a dynalo....I saw a cheap one ($450) with less circuitry than a standard dynalo over on Spritzer's page....would it be worth snagging?

Also, never heard the term point-to-point wired (thought I assume it means the mess of cables with internal RF interference problems seen in old amps). I'm a bit of a newbie in circuit design.

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #45 of 47
I agree entirely. I think this op-amp delivers something close to ideal performance--low output imp, more than sufficient current output, fast enough slew rate, well within supply voltage required. It sounds warm to my ears, as I prefer a lean signature, but doesn't appear to produce clipping. It is slightly less transparent than my AD823, though--which, curiously, supplies a very low maximal output current, at 15mA.

Wish I had the money for a dynalo....I saw a cheap one ($450) with less circuitry than a standard dynalo over on Spritzer's page....would it be worth snagging?

Also, never heard the term point-to-point wired (thought I assume it means the mess of cables with internal RF interference problems seen in old amps). I'm a bit of a newbie in circuit design.

Looks like that $450 Dynalo is gone but I would've said yes since I remember the unit. I really wish the HeadAmp GS-1 would make a return... at $750 it was an unbelievable value.

As for point-to-point wiring, that is correct. Even though only tube amps are sometimes point-to-point wired I had to mention it. That's a big no-no to me, at the very least a PCB just makes everyone's life easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back