VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #6,811 of 7,982
  Will get a chance to compare the Bass Edition to the Classic, in addition to a modding idea I have in mind. I will let you guys know how it goes as soon as I get the chance to do this comparison. 

Please do 
biggrin.gif
.  I have been itching to grab myself a pair of classics for a backup in case my bass editions eventually break. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #6,812 of 7,982
  Will get a chance to compare the Bass Edition to the Classic, in addition to a modding idea I have in mind. I will let you guys know how it goes as soon as I get the chance to do this comparison. 

Whatever mod that you're going to do, don't recable the BE with silver cabs. I made the mistake once. ONCE!

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #6,814 of 7,982
Feb 19, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #6,815 of 7,982
I don't think its cause of the cable, it's the physical change of the back of the driver. Somehow it became more open in the back which equals more bass

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #6,816 of 7,982
  Whatever mod that you're going to do, don't recable the BE with silver cabs. I made the mistake once. ONCE!

Maybe you left bigger hole at the back of housing? This can explain your problem! While recabling GR07 remember to use original rubber piece ('the black rubber thing on housing from which comes out the cable'). If original cable failed, just cut it off accurately with knife and get out the shielding and cable parts from it. Than insert new cable in the hole. You can enlarge the hole in it with awl because it is resin. Also very important to glue housing tightly to prevent sound leakage.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #6,817 of 7,982

To tame the sibilance you need to use tips that are long and smaller bore. But at the same time, not too long, which will kill the high treble or too small of a bore which will kill the midhighs.

M6 biflanges seem like a good option, I'll do a lot of tip experimentation with these soon and see what I can come up with for sibilance, the trick is to tame it without messing the other parts of the treble too much. 

Would you consider the bores on Vsonic's included tips big or small? They each have a diameter of just under 4mm, except for the foam tips, which clock in at 5mm.

Of the five pairs of included tips, four of them have the same length, between 10 and 11mm. (The fourth one may be a fraction of a millimetre longer than the others.) Do you think these tips are a good length, or should I look into something longer? How long are the M6 biflanges?

Does switching between single-flange, bi-flange, and foam tips affect sibilance?

Quote:

See the tips thread. Other than that, you may want to try a different IEM.

Where is the tips thread? Would you give the link?

Sony MH1 tips are another great option for taming the sibilance. It also brings out the mids.

Is there any place online to buy these tips without buying the MH1? If there is, I can't seem to find it.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #6,818 of 7,982

To tame the sibilance you need to use tips that are long and smaller bore. But at the same time, not too long, which will kill the high treble or too small of a bore which will kill the midhighs.

M6 biflanges seem like a good option, I'll do a lot of tip experimentation with these soon and see what I can come up with for sibilance, the trick is to tame it without messing the other parts of the treble too much. 

Would you consider the bores on Vsonic's included tips big or small? They each have a diameter of just under 4mm, except for the foam tips, which clock in at 5mm.

Of the five pairs of included tips, four of them have the same length, between 10 and 11mm. (The fourth one may be a fraction of a millimetre longer than the others.) Do you think these tips are a good length, or should I look into something longer? How long are the M6 biflanges?

Does switching between single-flange, bi-flange, and foam tips affect sibilance?

Quote:

See the tips thread. Other than that, you may want to try a different IEM.

Where is the tips thread? Would you give the link?

Sony MH1 tips are another great option for taming the sibilance. It also brings out the mids.

Is there any place online to buy these tips without buying the MH1? If there is, I can't seem to find it.

Here you go!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/579151/gr07-tips-thread

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #6,820 of 7,982
  Maybe you left bigger hole at the back of housing? This can explain your problem! While recabling GR07 remember to use original rubber piece ('the black rubber thing on housing from which comes out the cable'). If original cable failed, just cut it off accurately with knife and get out the shielding and cable parts from it. Than insert new cable in the hole. You can enlarge the hole in it with awl because it is resin. Also very important to glue housing tightly to prevent sound leakage.

I don't think its cause of the cable, it's the physical change of the back of the driver. Somehow it became more open in the back which equals more bass

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I didn't keep that BE, but this is one thing I'd make sure to take note of

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #6,821 of 7,982
Burned in with about 100+ hours, and these were the best iem (so far) I have bought :D
Would definitely recommend this for a friend, if it is within their budget :D

Disclaimer First mini review, might not use the correct terms to describe the sound.

First impressions: ( Gro7 Bass Edition)
When i first put them on, i was underwhelmed my the bass responce, as i was expecting it to have more quantity like the Im50. It was the second most comfortable iem i have tried, the first being the Um1.

After getting used to the sound, ~10 hours:
The sound settled in my head, and was surprised of the sound quality from this small iem. Had a fairly wide soundstage, tight bass, and clear sounding overall. However, there were some sibilance ( of course for this) that sometimes ruins the vocals on some Electronic songs i listen to

~100 hours burn in:
Pretty much the same, but with clearer bass, and significantly less sibilance at medium volumes.

'Mini review" done using RHA silicone hybrid tips and Fiio X1, all FLAC files.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #6,822 of 7,982
Yay, just received my silver Classics!

First impressions: No seal, no bass.  Let's try again with the large tips...

I feel like I'm going to love these.  The sound signature doesn't sound impressive at first listen, which to me is a good sign that these buds aren't shoving any particular frequency range in my face.  I like my cans neutral.  Only the bass feels a bit light but I'm not worried, I'm sure this will improve with burn-in and/or tip rolling.

Imaging and detail are pretty good right out of the box.

Sibilance: I don't get it.  I was bracing for it after reading this thread and the reviews, but this old dude can't hear it...

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #6,823 of 7,982
  Yay, just received my silver Classics!

First impressions: No seal, no bass.  Let's try again with the large tips...

I feel like I'm going to love these.  The sound signature doesn't sound impressive at first listen, which to me is a good sign that these buds aren't shoving any particular frequency range in my face.  I like my cans neutral.  Only the bass feels a bit light but I'm not worried, I'm sure this will improve with burn-in and/or tip rolling.

Imaging and detail are pretty good right out of the box.

Sibilance: I don't get it.  I was bracing for it after reading this thread and the reviews, but this old dude can't hear it...

If the bass is light for you, take a look at the BE version. 
redface.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #6,824 of 7,982
I don't feel like I'm going to need the BE, I'm perceiving more bass as the day goes on, just by adjusting the fit (love the pivoting nozzle) and by letting my brain get used to the sound signature.

Right now, listening to Glenn Gould/Beethoven's 4th concerto.  No sibilance even on this 50-year-old recording, but darn these buds can be unforgiving.  I'm hearing all kinds of studio noise, not to mention Gould's incessant humming... so endearing.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #6,825 of 7,982
Do you guys think the Bass Edition is worth the extra ~$30?

I've been enjoying my VSD3S for about half a year now and I'm probably going to get the gr07 for my next earphone (Budget is around $100)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back