VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #6,797 of 7,982

IIRC they originally sourced the membrane of the dd from Japan, then switched to their own. But no difference to the user.

Last year there were discussions regarding whether GR07 Classic still used bio cellouse diaphragms. In the end, Vsonic's CEO confirmed the rumours were false and they are using the same material on GR07 Classic.

It was logged here below, though the misunderstanding still hangs around to some degree.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/552132/vsonic-gr07-impressions-thread/6165#post_10390215

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #6,798 of 7,982

That's true. The dd membrane is slightly different but I think most agree the sound is identical - mark II vs. classic. I only have the classic.

It's not different. It's exactly the same as confirmed by VSonic's CEO. 

IIRC they originally sourced the membrane of the dd from Japan, then switched to their own. But no difference to the user.

Same exact drivers as the original. Thanks for the correction!

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #6,799 of 7,982
Does anyone have ideas for calming the GR07's sibilance?

I'm experimenting with equalizer settings. My initial strategy has been to take off 4dB at 6000Hz and leave everything else flat. It's helping, but I'm going to keep fiddling with it. I'm curious what settings and tactics you guys use to tackle sibilance.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #6,800 of 7,982

I'm experimenting with equalizer settings. My initial strategy has been to take off 4dB at 6000Hz and leave everything else flat. It's helping, but I'm going to keep fiddling with it. I'm curious what settings and tactics you guys use to tackle sibilance.

See the tips thread. Other than that, you may want to try a different IEM.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #6,801 of 7,982
To tame the sibilance you need to use tips that are long and smaller bore. But at the same time, not too long, which will kill the high treble or too small of a bore which will kill the midhighs.

M6 biflanges seem like a good option, I'll do a lot of tip experimentation with these soon and see what I can come up with for sibilance, the trick is to tame it without messing the other parts of the treble too much. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #6,803 of 7,982

Burn in, at least 150h and good fit.

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #6,804 of 7,982
I've been spending so much time with GR07 MK2 recently its not even funny anymore. Let this be a word of advice on how versatile, high performing GR07 can be. I don't know how others feel about amping GR07, I mean, I can listen to them from  Sansa Clip, Cowon J3, Colorfly C3 and they sound really great. When I pair them with my JDS C421 amp / DX50, I have been constantly surprised at the performance levels. At one stage I was listening to GR07 exclusively for about 3 days, when I switched back to Fidue A83, RDB Mini, Altone200 each one of them sounded completely wrong, like the balanced armatures made the music sound fake, thin, off. Of course, this does go away if you allow an adjustment period, but without allowing time to adjust there was more than a few occasions I put those other hybrids down going back to GR07. I even had thoughts of just quitting buying anymore and sticking with them.  This is still continuing today, I wonder how much longer...

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #6,805 of 7,982
My MKIs still put a smile on my face. Honestly im considering a pair of classics as backups incase they decide to close up shop on the GR07 sometime. They are easily one of the best buys i have ever encountered on headfi. I have tried armatures and found them to lack body and a the natural sound of a dynamic iem.

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #6,806 of 7,982
My MKIs still put a smile on my face. Honestly im considering a pair of classics as backups incase they decide to close up shop on the GR07 sometime. They are easily one of the best buys i have ever encountered on headfi. I have tried armatures and found them to lack body and a the natural sound of a dynamic iem.

I'd like to hear the Classic one day myself to experience any differences. And you're right, the note weight on most of those hybrids appear off / thin. Of course, I must confirm, once I adjust my preference swings back (which is balanced armature sound) but another thing I found is, GR07 is easily listening for long sessions. The A83 is like an extreme roller coaster ride, they sound great and they do this playing loud, always inviting me to push them up a notch and then another, I could not listen to them for hours due to this. In the end longevity and genre versatility are powerful features of GR07.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #6,810 of 7,982
Will get a chance to compare the Bass Edition to the Classic, in addition to a modding idea I have in mind. I will let you guys know how it goes as soon as I get the chance to do this comparison. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back