VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #4,891 of 7,982
I can't speak to the DT1350's but don't disagree that the mids on the GR07 fall just short of ideal.  Don't get me wrong, I REALLY like these IEMs, but I've probably been spoiled by the forward, silky mids of SE530's and SM3's. (But those are $400 range IEMs.) That said, I would not call the GR07 mids "recessed" by any means.  I find that overall sound sig to be pretty close to flat.  But the mids just aren't quite as forward as I'm used to.  But I will say, dollar for dollar, I've never heard a better IEM than GR07!
I have been listening to my Bass Edition GR07's for a week now and while i havent heard the regular mkII's just yet, I believe this is why the bass edition exists --the mids are forward but not artificiall so. Bass guitars and kick drums are ever so slightly forward from neutral but i think its a good trade off to have awesome mids. The treble appears that it could be the same as mk2's, where they extend very well, but lack some air and with some sibilance. Out of the box the sibilance is terrible, so i let it burn in for 3 days at a considerable volume before i took another listen and it has made a big improvement already. These IEM's really do require burn in guys.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #4,892 of 7,982
I can't speak to the DT1350's but don't disagree that the mids on the GR07 fall just short of ideal.  Don't get me wrong, I REALLY like these IEMs, but I've probably been spoiled by the forward, silky mids of SE530's and SM3's. (But those are $400 range IEMs.) That said, I would not call the GR07 mids "recessed" by any means.  I find that overall sound sig to be pretty close to flat.  But the mids just aren't quite as forward as I'm used to.  But I will say, dollar for dollar, I've never heard a better IEM than GR07!
I have been listening to my Bass Edition GR07's for a week now and while i havent heard the regular mkII's just yet, I believe this is why the bass edition exists --the mids are forward but not artificiall so. Bass guitars and kick drums are ever so slightly forward from neutral but i think its a good trade off to have awesome mids. The treble appears that it could be the same as mk2's, where they extend very well, but lack some air and with some sibilance. Out of the box the sibilance is terrible, so i let it burn in for 3 days at a considerable volume before i took another listen and it has made a big improvement already. These IEM's really do require burn in guys.

Feb 5, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #4,893 of 7,982
Dear Head-fiers,

I just received the GR07 MKII tonight, and I find these great. I heard that the earphone has sibilant issues when used right from the box, but everything sounds fine except the ear tips fit. Which ear tips that suit best for the Gr07 besides its stock?

Edit: I only get one pair of the bi-flange tips, which seems to be medium sized. Some states that it contains 2 pairs.

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #4,894 of 7,982
I think that they will continue to sound better as you use them. This is due to the material of the driver-bio celluloid (sp?). So either burn them in about 100 hours or just let them burn in as you use them, but they will continue to sound better for you. 

I got only one pair of bi-flange tips with my set which I bought about two months ago. I find the sony hybrids to be the best though for sound and comfort. If you want my pair of bi-flange and you are conus...just pm me with your address.

Enjoy!!

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #4,895 of 7,982
I don't think the Beyer and GR07 sounds alike at all too. The Beyer has better transparency and clarity but has a trade off in its slightly artificial sounding treble. Something sounds off and dry between the mids and treble. The GR07 doesn't have that problem but tends to be more sibilant. 

I dunno but I never find GR07 sibilant at all. I actually kinda wanting more from it. Maybe I'm used to the MX980/HE-400 treble which is extended very well and nicely detailed.

I think the mids would have been more ideal if the bass was less dominant. I love its characteristics that is fast while being able to extend low at the same time. But it gives a hint of overpowering other frequencies. I think their highs that lack air is also a factor that makes the bass sound dominant to me. But hey, we're very wrong to compare them to much pricier gears out there! :D

If the bass edition really has more bass, then it's not for me as i find the regular ones (mk.1) to have slightly overpowering bass.

Dear Head-fiers,

I just received the GR07 MKII tonight, and I find these great. I heard that the earphone has sibilant issues when used right from the box, but everything sounds fine except the ear tips fit. Which ear tips that suit best for the Gr07 besides its stock?

Edit: I only get one pair of the bi-flange tips, which seems to be medium sized. Some states that it contains 2 pairs.

It really depends on the size of you ear canal. I use the included fake sony hybrids blue what I believe to be medium-sized. Mine also contains one pair of bi-flange and it sounds horrible to my ears.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #4,896 of 7,982
So for the second time now the left side has lost most of the low end. Given that I just got them back after waiting 2 months for them to come back from lendmeurears, I'm more than a little frustrated. They're still under warranty, but I'm still quite frustrated by my luck with these. 

Has anyone else had this issue and have they managed to fix it? I want to try what I can before I have to wait yet another 2 months for these to get another pair. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #4,897 of 7,982
So for the second time now the left side has lost most of the low end. Given that I just got them back after waiting 2 months for them to come back from lendmeurears, I'm more than a little frustrated. They're still under warranty, but I'm still quite frustrated by my luck with these. 

Has anyone else had this issue and have they managed to fix it? I want to try what I can before I have to wait yet another 2 months for these to get another pair. 

No suggestions on fixes but that is the reason I'm selling/returning my SM3v2. Shipping across the globe for warranty service does not appeal to me. Also a factor in me returning my GR07.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #4,898 of 7,982
Quote:

One option is to contact BTG-Audio to have them recabled.  Most likely the cable connection is the issue.  Just an idea.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #4,899 of 7,982
I'm considering doing the same with mine (needs to be re-terminated, would rather go all out), but the cost of shipping makes it inordinately expensive...I just might be foolish enough to go through with it.

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #4,900 of 7,982
After another 50 hours or so of burn in, I consider this to this iem off the charts good for $150. I was surprised that it continued to get better after 75 hours of burn in. I feel that it's settled where it will be now though. Wonderful hp!!

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #4,901 of 7,982
Quote:
After another 50 hours or so of burn in, I consider this to this iem off the charts good for $150. I was surprised that it continued to get better after 75 hours of burn in. I feel that it's settled where it will be now though. Wonderful hp!!

I hope you are right about this, I gave mine an 8-hour burn in and the vocals felt really hollowed like I was listening to some radio talk, I don't like it so far

BTW what the hell:

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #4,902 of 7,982
8 hours isn't enough - 150 - 200 hours is more like it. Give them time, they'll burn in, your ears will 'burn in' too...They are awesome.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #4,903 of 7,982
Quote:
I hope you are right about this, I gave mine an 8-hour burn in and the vocals felt really hollowed like I was listening to some radio talk, I don't like it so far

BTW what the hell:

LOL That's force majeure. It's used in legal documents like contracts and such to describe events like floods, erupting volcanoes and other natural disasters

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #4,904 of 7,982

From my past experience with GR07 MK2, they will keep improving from there.. The timbre especially will mature. It's been to long since I had them to remember exactly. I used to talk about this in the MK2 thread up to around 250 hours, I actually felt a little crazy mentioning it. So do not worry! :wink:

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #4,905 of 7,982
From my past experience with GR07 MK2, they will keep improving from there.. The timbre especially will mature. It's been to long since I had them to remember exactly. I used to talk about this in the MK2 thread up to around 250 hours, I actually felt a little crazy mentioning it. So do not worry! :wink:
I totally agree here as well. My Bass Editions and C&C BH have been burning in for a week now and every time i pop em in for a listen there is less sibilance, better bass, imaging, and i dont find any of them to be an issue any more. You guys would love how they bring out bass guitar in a song you normally couldnt hear, but it doesnt over do it, it just lets you know its there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back