"Vote" Solid State or Tubes..Which one is your Favourite?
Sep 11, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #18 of 99
Sorry but I can't cast a vote as I haven't heard any of the listed amplifiers. (personally I believe voting to be useless unless someone has indeed heard everything you asked, otherwise its just bias) However, just to share my thoughts on once owning a Purity Audio Caliente. There was a discussion a while back (perhaps due to its FOTMness) that the KICAS was better than a M^3 (even when paired with a Sigma psu). I personally cannot compare the two, but I believe the M^3 + Sigma11 PSU to be a great SS architecture. KICAS has the benefit of being all discrete. Now in terms of drive, the Caliente was able to drive my K501 beautifully. It was very transparent (even for the warmer Caliente version, which can be converted back to the 'neutral' KICAS via jumper wires) in which it never called attention to itself.

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #20 of 99
I have heard only the Audiotailor Jade which I own.  Circumstances prohibited me from listening to headphone amps prior to purchase so I was restricted to reviews, comments, and technical specs.  I considered most of the amps on the list, as well as others, and chose the Jade because of my long-time preference for tubes and the fact that it is so versatile.  And it uses only 2 tubes which reduces tube-rolling costs.  I have been pleased with the Jade.

Sep 11, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #21 of 99
I vote for the Phonitor /Auditor, even the Violectric, or the GP as SS amp's. Here is more info about the Violectric:  http://www.hifistatement.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=305%3Aviolectric-headphone-amplifier-hpa-v200&catid=4%3Ahifi-intensive-en&lang=de

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #25 of 99
I guess the problem is not enough people have really heard these amps. Wouldn't want to vote just for the amp we heard of over the others we haven't heard, that just wouldn't be a proper comparison.

I am willing ot bet though that the C2C is much better than the Mini^3. I have a friend who has one, just haven't had the chance to go to his place and chekc it out.

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #30 of 99
I haven't heard any of these amps, so I can't vote. But as the owner of a WA22 (tubes) and an ATH-RA5000 (SS), I would have to say it's a toss-up between them. I prefer the WA22 in balanced mode, but the RA5000 single-ended. It also very much depends on the headphones used with each amplifier, as synergy / compatibility between the amp and headphone is quite important IMO.

I use the RA50000 with W5000 and AD2000 headphones, or at least I am planning to. I haven't actually heard the AD2000 out of the RA5000 yet as it is in Japan for service, but it does sound very good with my EF5 hybrid amp and the W5000 is a dream with the RA5000 so I am looking forward to it. Balanced I haven't really maxed out the WA22 with top tier headphones yet, but the HE-5 and K701 did scale up quite nicely, as well as the HD650 which wasn't for me though.

All three amps are keepers but I do prefer the RA5000 SS and WA22 tube amps mentioned above slightly over my hybrid EF5.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back