Vote: Nuforce 7m (50E=$70), Head-Direct RE2 (w/FiiO E3 $79) or C551
Jan 15, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #33 of 42
So I found my RE2s last night. And by now the NE7Ms are fully burned in. Coincidence? My wife seems to think not...

But I brought both with me to work this morning and popped the RE2s in first. Ah, huge improvement over the 7Ms. But Now I put it down to the comfort and fit of the tips. I really like the RE2 biflanges. So I think, let's try them on the 7Ms. I'm noticing that the end of the driver housing where the tips attach is nearly identical, so RE2 tips will fit the 7M no problem. I pop on the biflanges to the 7Ms, then get distracted from my headphilia by, well, work.

So coming back into headphones I grab my biflanges and pop them in, instantly I think, "yes, I need to return those 7Ms immediately, because this sounds so much better." Of course, I had forgotten I put the biflanges on the 7Ms.

So, short of the story is that with the tips that I find most comfortable the burned-in 7M is notably superior to the RE2 (also burned-in).

All of this is taking place unamped out of a Rockboxed Sansa e250.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I found my RE2s last night. And by now the NE7Ms are fully burned in. Coincidence? My wife seems to think not...

But I brought both with me to work this morning and popped the RE2s in first. Ah, huge improvement over the 7Ms. But Now I put it down to the comfort and fit of the tips. I really like the RE2 biflanges. So I think, let's try them on the 7Ms. I'm noticing that the end of the driver housing where the tips attach is nearly identical, so RE2 tips will fit the 7M no problem. I pop on the biflanges to the 7Ms, then get distracted from my headphilia by, well, work.

So coming back into headphones I grab my biflanges and pop them in, instantly I think, "yes, I need to return those 7Ms immediately, because this sounds so much better." Of course, I had forgotten I put the biflanges on the 7Ms.

So, short of the story is that with the tips that I find most comfortable the burned-in 7M is notably superior to the RE2 (also burned-in).

All of this is taking place unamped out of a Rockboxed Sansa e250.

I love this story!

As an added note, I was surprised at how decent my son's e240 sounds, and wonder if it is similar to your e240. He just uses it as a radio, since it is only 1gb and his iPod is 16gb, but I put some 320k MP3 on it and it wasn't bad.

May 13, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #35 of 42
I can confirm that the NE-7s do not work properly with Zens. I have a 2005
Zen Sleek Photo that I tried them with. Entire frequency ranges are completely omitted. A Shure attenuator fixes the problem. A Fiio E5 will also fix the issue albeit with some minor hiss.

I can get the best sound out of the NE-7s using a Sony Walkman Disc player with the E5. The mids and trebles are outstanding and... the bass... the bass is simply awesome. I can feel it reverberating off the back of my skull. It's the best bass I have ever experienced in my life.

I have ordered a Cowon D2+ in hopes that the increased power output and bass enhancements will get somewhat close to the CD player. I needed an upgraded DAP anyway. At least that's what I have told myself to justify the purchase. Head fi is an expensive environment
dt880smile.png

May 14, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #36 of 42
Nuforce is pretty good to me with stock foam tips and very good for the bucks.I would reccomend them.And they are not bad at detail.

May 25, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #37 of 42
How do the RE2's compare to the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3's ??

The UE's are also in my price range (although a little more expensive than the RE2's) and I think i will go for the RE2's for their detail. I have done some research and I have found that the RE2's are generally a step up from the Etymotic ER6i's and the UE Super.fi 3's. Is this true?
I just want to know this is the right decision.

Thanks!

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #38 of 42
can anyone compare maximo im 590 with head direct re2???? i am very confused which one to buy out of these 2. i can get maximo im 590 for around 50 $ but i can get head direct re2's for 29 $ now. there is a sale going on at head direct. i was leaning towards maximo im 590 beacuse of the 2 year warranty and the extras that come alongwith it. and it has got positive reviews too. but re2's come only with 90 days warranty. and not with all the extras of im 590. plz help me guys.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #40 of 42
Those C551s are overpriced. They're usually to be had in the $50 range, in my experience. Unless you need the amp for another phone, don't bother. It doesn't help, and the phones alone are to be had at $29.

The C551s are fun phones, punchy and clubby. The RE2 has good mids and fairly high all-around detail, but they're not detailed enough to be analytic phones, nor warm enough to be fun phones. It's a set of compromises.

The NE-7s, though are the best of the lot. Solid bass without being muddy, and better detail than the RE2.

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #41 of 42
Don't agree that the NE-7s have better detail than the RE2s. Not saying the RE2 is a better IEM, but it's much more neutral and detailed than how I heard the Nuforce phones, where are bass and treble focused, with mids sort of overwhelmed somewhat.

Also, this thread is old, so not sure who you are replying to. The last post until the 590 vs. RE2 question above was in May.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back