Vote: Nuforce 7m (50E=$70), Head-Direct RE2 (w/FiiO E3 $79) or C551
Jan 7, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelton49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you go for the ne-7m order some UE or shure replacement silicon tips, the stock tips that come with them are garbage (maybe you'll get lucky, I doubt it). I stuff the phones in my pocket and don't want to be bothered with foam either.

and yes, going from stock buds to ne-7m =
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, those or what I have been using, my old Shure E2c silicone tips which are more comfortable, fit deeper and isolate better. I did my NE-7M review with stock medium tips but with a shallow insertion so the tips could grab the ear canal in the boney portion so as to not flex and thus leak. With the E2c tips the sound stayed the same except for bass that increased and got closer to the level Image X10. (I may have a link to the review in my public profile "about me")

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these the tips you like (assuming I'm avoiding foamies)? Just wanted to confirm so I don't wind up with the wrong thing.

Shure * - Black Soft Flex Sleeves

Yes, those are the ones.

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelton49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you go for the ne-7m order some UE or shure replacement silicon tips, the stock tips that come with them are garbage (maybe you'll get lucky, I doubt it). I stuff the phones in my pocket and don't want to be bothered with foam either.

and yes, going from stock buds to ne-7m =
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, those or what I have been using, my old Shure E2c silicone tips which are more comfortable, fit deeper and isolate better. I did my NE-7M review with stock medium tips but with a shallow insertion so the tips could grab the ear canal in the boney portion so as to not flex and thus leak. With the E2c tips the sound stayed the same except for bass that increased and got closer to the level Image X10. (I may have a link to the review in my public profile "about me")

Thanks for the tips
icon10.gif
popcorn.gif

HeadphoneAddict, I've read your review, several times
wink.gif

I saw in another thread that some people have difficulties getting a good sound because of the mic-jack. Think it's going to work with a nano 1st gen?

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #22 of 42
If you're talking about the NE-7M's having issues getting a good sound because of the mic jack I think you're misunderstanding. To the best of my knowledge the people having problems with the 7's are having problems getting it to work with the Fiio E3 (I'm one of them) not with our DAPS alone.

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #23 of 42
I could be wrong, it was your thread indeed.
wink.gif

I thought someone also had trouble with a Creative Zen, I think it was Q-Tip-81.

Anyway, bummer man. Any luck with an adapter?

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by timhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could be wrong, it was your thread indeed.
wink.gif

I thought someone also had trouble with a Creative Zen, I think it was Q-Tip-81.

Anyway, bummer man. Any luck with an adapter?

True I do remember someone having issues with their Zen, and a couple of us with the Fiio. Haven't heard about what kind of adapter I would need to buy but I'm not concerned either way. Still burning them in and waiting on Complys! If I really need the boost I still have Senn CX400's and my Fiio I can use for that.

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #25 of 42
Right - the only incompatibility I have found is with the Fiio E3, then I don't hear the right channel without pushing the plug in deeper. I could dremmel the E3 around the jack and fix that, but I gave it to my son since he keeps forgetting to charge his Travagans Colors (AKA dogbone) and his MS-1 really like the mini-amps.

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #26 of 42
Well my NE7Ms arrived today (replacement for a lost pair of RE2).

They are shipping now with 3 sets of silicone tips and 1 set of foamies. Popped on the middle-sized silicone and had a listen.

First reaction: yuck. But I was listening to an album I spent some time with last night on my MS2i through Little Dot 1+...so that sound signature was fresh in my mind. Still, vocals tinny and overall hollow sounding.

Switching to the foamies helped considerably. With the foamies there is a lot more isolation than the RE2 has.

After 2 hours of listening either I'm getting used to it or the foamies really make a difference. Still not sure it sounds better than the RE2.

Right angle plug is a nice touch...

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my NE7Ms arrived today (replacement for a lost pair of RE2).

They are shipping now with 3 sets of silicone tips and 1 set of foamies. Popped on the middle-sized silicone and had a listen.

First reaction: yuck. But I was listening to an album I spent some time with last night on my MS2i through Little Dot 1+...so that sound signature was fresh in my mind. Still, vocals tinny and overall hollow sounding.

Switching to the foamies helped considerably. With the foamies there is a lot more isolation than the RE2 has.

After 2 hours of listening either I'm getting used to it or the foamies really make a difference. Still not sure it sounds better than the RE2.

Right angle plug is a nice touch...

Burn-in for 50-80 hours (I did 85-95 for my review), and try to adjust the fit with the tips you have, or get some of the tips we've been recommending.

Jan 9, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #28 of 42
yeah, they're growing on me.

Just those silicone tips didn't do it for me. One of the things I liked about the RE2 was the biflanges, which I just found fit the NE7Ms just fine. It makes a little bulky, but not outrageous. I'll probably try some DIY foamies as well with some earplugs I've got lying around.

I've got them burning in with some Jimi Hendrix.

Best case scenario for me is I get an icon and then find my RE2s and can a/b them...

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #29 of 42
Further tip/sleave question - of the prepackaged tips, the small silicones are by far the best for me, although even these feel a little large when I've got them in far enough for a good seal.

How close does the sizing on the shure tips match up to the defaults? Should I just go ahead and order smalls (5 pairs) or would you recommend that I get the variety pack (3 pairs) despite the fact that the larges will definitely be useless to me. Also, is there any vendor where I can avoid the price gouging on shipping? $10 shipping from the Shure store seems like a kick in the junk given that they could just drop the tips in an envelope and toss on a stamp...

Oh, and for the record, even with the basic tips, I'm really enjoying the ne-7m's. They strike the balance I was looking for between the bass deficient, hyper detailed Er-6i (to my ears) and the muddy, bass thumping Bose IE. HA's positive reviews are dead on with respect to these IEM's as a tremendous bargain. Add one more vote to your count for the ne-7m's.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, they're growing on me.

Just those silicone tips didn't do it for me. One of the things I liked about the RE2 was the biflanges, which I just found fit the NE7Ms just fine. It makes a little bulky, but not outrageous. I'll probably try some DIY foamies as well with some earplugs I've got lying around.

I've got them burning in with some Jimi Hendrix.

Best case scenario for me is I get an icon and then find my RE2s and can a/b them...

Hopefully you'll find them. Still, I'd love to know your impressions once they're burnt in, perhaps with some 'fictional' a/b from memory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Further tip/sleave question - of the prepackaged tips, the small silicones are by far the best for me, although even these feel a little large when I've got them in far enough for a good seal.

How close does the sizing on the shure tips match up to the defaults? Should I just go ahead and order smalls (5 pairs) or would you recommend that I get the variety pack (3 pairs) despite the fact that the larges will definitely be useless to me. Also, is there any vendor where I can avoid the price gouging on shipping? $10 shipping from the Shure store seems like a kick in the junk given that they could just drop the tips in an envelope and toss on a stamp...

Oh, and for the record, even with the basic tips, I'm really enjoying the ne-7m's. They strike the balance I was looking for between the bass deficient, hyper detailed Er-6i (to my ears) and the muddy, bass thumping Bose IE. HA's positive reviews are dead on with respect to these IEM's as a tremendous bargain. Add one more vote to your count for the ne-7m's.

Since the NE-7m's indeed are a bit more in favor, I too would like to know if the tip sizes of the Shures are comparable and can safely be ordered upon the fitting of the standard Nuforce tips. That information might come handy in near future
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back