Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
Sep 10, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #1,081 of 1,098
I found the V280 to be very ordinary sounding (subdued treble, lacking soundstage) using Chord Mojo as DAC (sourced from a DAP using coax). This was true even after trying multiple dip switch and volume pot positions. It was so striking that I thought something was wrong with the amp. Then I switched to a spare Modi Multibit that was lying around. With Modi, its a night and day difference and the sound matches the V280 character often described in these forums. My preliminary thought is, the Mojo line-out somehow doesn’t play well with the V280. The Mojo works very well with several other amps I have tried. Also, given the synergy with the Modi, I think the bigger brothers, Bifrost and Gumby should work quite well with the V280.

My testing was with HD800. Wonder, if anyone else had a similar experience as well?

Just to clarify and update on this. My previous experience with the Mojo was most likely due to faulty RCA cable, since after switching to a different one, all is good. Mojo sounds really good in LO mode with V280. I just click the volume button 5 times to bring the LO voltage down from 3V to about 1.9V. This leads to reasonable volume with HD800 when the V280 volume knob is at the 12 O clock position.

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #1,082 of 1,098
Dec 4, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #1,083 of 1,098
Could I connect the V280 to my active desktop speakers using the SE output?
This would not be expected to work well. Active speakers expect line level input.

The V281 could be used for that, since it has pre-out. The V280 does not.

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #1,084 of 1,098
The V280 is so versatile. Recently I ventured into getting a tube amp and i have configured the V280 as a pass-through SE output device. An advice that was given to me some time back by @gimmeheadroom. Thanks.

Now I have best of both worlds. Interchanging between the excellent SS sound from V280 using xlr input and a tube amp through its SE output for the different sound signatures of tubes.

The V280 will always have a special place in my heart when it comes to audio devices.

Dec 5, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #1,085 of 1,098
There are 2 ways to connect a V280 to subsequent equipment.
1. (not for V280 FE) set the internal jumpers to have the unbalanced rear RCA connectors as outputs.
The rear balanced inputs can be used also for unbalanced source with a RCA to XLR adaptor.
On the RCA outputs the buffered input signal will appear with the same level - but with no volume control !!
2. (for all amps) use the front unbalanced headphone output (with a 1/4" phone jack to 2 x RCA adaptor) to source the following equipment.
This time with volume control.
Best regards, Fried

Dec 5, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #1,086 of 1,098
The V280 is so versatile. Recently I ventured into getting a tube amp and i have configured the V280 as a pass-through SE output device. An advice that was given to me some time back by @gimmeheadroom. Thanks.

Now I have best of both worlds. Interchanging between the excellent SS sound from V280 using xlr input and a tube amp through its SE output for the different sound signatures of tubes.

The V280 will always have a special place in my heart when it comes to audio devices.

I am doing the same with the Niimbus to convert BAL to SE to avoid Yggdrasil's lesser RCA outs.

Dec 5, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #1,087 of 1,098
There are 2 ways to connect a V280 to subsequent equipment.
1. (not for V280 FE) set the internal jumpers to have the unbalanced rear RCA connectors as outputs.
The rear balanced inputs can be used also for unbalanced source with a RCA to XLR adaptor.
On the RCA outputs the buffered input signal will appear with the same level - but with no volume control !!
2. (for all amps) use the front unbalanced headphone output (with a 1/4" phone jack to 2 x RCA adaptor) to source the following equipment.
This time with volume control.
Best regards, Fried
Thanks Fried. I took the path of 1), i.e. using the unbalanced rear rca connectors as output. Indeed no volume control with the V280. However, I also have the V850 as dac so I manage the vol using that instead. One thing I like about all Violectric models is the inclusion of vol control knob regardless whether dac or amp.

The 2nd path is certainly interesting as well but I rather leave it for headphones instead :)

Much appreciate your reply Fried.

Sep 17, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #1,088 of 1,098
First post of 2023 on the V280 thread!
Have owned this amp for a couple of months, and just wanted to say I have a lot of admiration for its clean yet rich sound and superb build quality, inside and out.
I particularly like that's it's fully balanced - currently have it connected to Schiit Bifrost 2/64 driving Focal Clear - very satisfying combination.

Sep 17, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #1,089 of 1,098
First post of 2023 on the V280 thread!
Have owned this amp for a couple of months, and just wanted to say I have a lot of admiration for its clean yet rich sound and superb build quality, inside and out.
I particularly like that's it's fully balanced - currently have it connected to Schiit Bifrost 2/64 driving Focal Clear - very satisfying combination.
The V280(and V281)’s sound is unlike other SS amps. Organically smooth, tuned with tube-like warmth and has a solid low end punch. Used in balanced vs SE, it’s staging and instrument separations further improve. Enjoy !

Sep 18, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #1,090 of 1,098
The V280(and V281)’s sound is unlike other SS amps. Organically smooth, tuned with tube-like warmth and has a solid low end punch. Used in balanced vs SE, it’s staging and instrument separations further improve. Enjoy !
I think this is a good description of what I have experienced with this amp. Focal Clear, one of my favourite headphones, sounds sublime through the balanced output. V280 plays well with the Focal's main strength, dynamics. Very complementary in my view.

Sep 18, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #1,091 of 1,098
I think this is a good description of what I have experienced with this amp. Focal Clear, one of my favourite headphones, sounds sublime through the balanced output. V280 plays well with the Focal's main strength, dynamics. Very complementary in my view.
I totally agree (and especially with V281). Which h/p cables are you using with Clear?

Sep 18, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #1,092 of 1,098
I totally agree (and especially with V281). Which h/p cables are you using with Clear?
A generic aftermarket cable, nothing special but it has amphenol 3.5mm connectors and a neutrik XLR end. Ergonomically better than the stock cable and decently built.

Nov 23, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #1,093 of 1,098
Just like this.

I have been doing a lot of music listening via Woo Audio WA3, Woo Audio WA6, Schiit Mjolnir II with a variety of 6080, 6SN7, 12AT7, and GZ34 tubes...then circled back to the Violectric V280 when maintenance on the MJ-II was needed. Having the sound of very high quality OTL, OTC, and hybrid headphone amplifiers embedded in mind, it was a delight to rediscover, again, how great the V280 is in ‘marrying’ the virtues of vacuum tube and of solid-state in music reproduction. The V280 is a ‘classic’ and I am happy to own two of them 😃 !!C13DC144-C7DF-4812-A7E1-C09769F072F5.jpeg
A question on the faceplate(s) of the V280 - the one I have has the same faceplate as yours in the pic attached.
I can see online and from the first post in this thread that there is a different faceplate design; I also believe the body finish is different, with one being "rough" and the other smooth.

I assume that logically the faceplate in the first post came out first, and at some point both the body finish and the faceplate were changed to the one in the pic attached. Do we know when this change was made? and if it was only cosmetic, or also involved some changes in the internals / engineering?

Nov 23, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #1,094 of 1,098
A question on the faceplate(s) of the V280 - the one I have has the same faceplate as yours in the pic attached.
I can see online and from the first post in this thread that there is a different faceplate design; I also believe the body finish is different, with one being "rough" and the other smooth.

I assume that logically the faceplate in the first post came out first, and at some point both the body finish and the faceplate were changed to the one in the pic attached. Do we know when this change was made? and if it was only cosmetic, or also involved some changes in the internals / engineering?
The faceplate change was merely that.

Dec 29, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #1,095 of 1,098
My V280 has an audible hum - very prominent on IEMs, but also apparent on headphones (Focal Clear).
Music drowns it out, but it's there without music and during quiet passages.
I unplugged all inputs and it's still there, so clearly coming from the amp; it gets louder when I turn the volume knob up.
Any clue as to what this could be? a ground loop? transformer hum? would it be considered normal? thanks for any insight as I'd like to be rid of it if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back