Vinyl or CD?
Dec 7, 2004 at 10:30 AM Post #76 of 106
I have owned an MMF-5 and it was great. I upgraded (somewhat prematurely) to a Scout which probably wasn't necssary but fun.
I think the Music Hall is great value.
Shipping TTs out of the original packaging makes me kinda nervous and you might have more confidence finding something locally if possible.
I think you may be disappointed by the quality of the Grado Black. If there's any way for you to step up to one of the wood bodied carts, I'd do it. There are lots of better carts out there but used can be a crap shoot w/ carts too; maybe if you can find one w/ a known history from someone you trust?
CPW

Dec 7, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #77 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by marios_mar
Andrew I would say go find yourslef on ebay a mint SME-3009 MKIII

It will be an upgrade from the stock arm and it will be a very fine one itself. Buy it from ebay and give it to the repairman to seeif he can fit it for you. Actually ask him first.

That may have you more happy than a new table and may cost less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...736260785&rd=1

This one is new old stock for example. There are other ones on ebay as well.

Neat!

So do you think that will fit on my old Micro Seiki?

I can still ask him later today, but I just wanted to make sure. If I can get a new tonearm, then I can spend more money on the phonostage and cartridge. If anybody can tell me how this tonearm fits, I'd be highly appreciative (if anybody knew).

Otherwise, I'll find out later. Thanks!
Andrew

Dec 7, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #78 of 106
I dont think its a just to be done by you. Better leave it to the professional. The M-S you own is similar to Linn and Thorens tables. Maybe an adapter plate is needed. The tech should know if he is experienced. This is a very popular and well known arm.

Dec 7, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #79 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Neat!

So do you think that will fit on my old Micro Seiki?

Man, I don't want to be the deal breaker and fun spoiler, but I don't think it'll fit. Actually, I don't think your MB-15 is designed to be run with a different arm at all. The mod might be feasible for a talented and experienced diyer - but even then you'll probably need a good match for the original effective arm length of 222 mm. And, of course, some features like the dial on the arm base as well as the auto off will almost certainly be disabled, then.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 7, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #80 of 106
Don't worry, the person at my local hifi shop told me a few hours ago
smily_headphones1.gif

Apparently he sells the Rega P3 there, and so that means he'll be selling the P2 there as well. I'll have to check out his store, the prices are comparable to Todd the Vinyl Junkie's prices.

I'll get back to you guys when I get more info on what he has for sale.

Thanks guys!
Andrew

Dec 8, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #82 of 106
Quote:

I'm heading over to the shop later, who claims that they sell the turntable for 500 dollars, the MMF-5. He told me it'd be just fine for my needs.

Thanks to everyone!
Andrew

Good choice.
CPW

Dec 9, 2004 at 10:40 AM Post #84 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
It is all in the recording...if a recording is crap
eek.gif
, no playback system can save it
biggrin.gif

I think the notion is only kind of true. Some elctonics or systems can do pretty well with **** recordings. I have two systems. One of my systems sound great with a great recording, but sounds like **** on bad recordings. The other system I have, I can throw the crappiest of recordings at it, and it still comes alive. I also went into an audioshop in Kansas City (Primus Audio Pleasure) about a month ago and I took some of my crappiest recordings to audition some speakersas a gage to see if I wanted to buy them, and they sounded great. The last speakers I bought, the Dali MS 4s, I made the mistake of letting the dealer play his stuff ( I didn't bring any with me) which was all sounded great but when I got the speakers, it became clear they only sounded their best with good recordings. Trouble is, most of my collection is pop/rock and good recordings are rare, especially disk from the 80s. I find my less expensive system in the bedroom is not recording dependent at all.

Dec 9, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #85 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kieran Comito
I think the notion is only kind of true. Some elctonics or systems can do pretty well with **** recordings. I have two systems. One of my systems sound great with a great recording, but sounds like **** on bad recordings. The other system I have, I can throw the crappiest of recordings at it, and it still comes alive.

hmmm..what do I say to this? I happen to have a system that makes even *very* poor recordings listenable, average recordings good, good recordings very good, great recordings excellent, the best recordings oh..la..la
icon10.gif
. From experience, some less expensive (more correctly average sounding) equipment simply lower the bar on everything. In the context of this thread, a great recording will sound magnificient on a good rig, irrespective of whether it is digital or analog, the main issue is that there is a lot more CDs than the total number of LPs ever made. Secondly the lower cost and ease of producing CDs vis-a-vis LPs makes the probability of poorer sounding CDs vis-a-vis LPs a whole lot greater. It is one thing to produce a CD, all you need is the requisite software and hardware, it is a whole different ball game to produce an excellent sounding CD, that requires skill and experience.
k1000smile.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #86 of 106
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I hear so many people blame the recording when something collaspes or does not sound good in a system. In my opinion, the system should take partial blame too. Heck some of my stuff sounded better in my car or on a boom box than in my main system. That is the fault of my system. Glad I mades some changes.

Dec 10, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #87 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
Mario,

Without being pedantic, I did a back to back comparison with the Project 6 and a MF CDP a while back, and the MF CDP gave the TT a thorough whipping and it was most obvious in the bass
wink.gif
and soundstage portrayal granted the CD recordings were reference level material. On the issue of realism, I think if you listen to some of Linn's recent DSD Jazz recordings, your opinion of realism of analog vis a vis digital will not so clear cut. On the other hand, I may just be spoilt by the quality equipment in my rack
biggrin.gif
, so this may be a lopsided view
wink.gif

You're on to something here. The truth as to what is better is not black and white .. it's the source. I have some vinyl from the late 50's and the 60's that is spine-tingling it was recorded and mastered so well. I have CD's from the 80's that give me a headache and make me nauseous they are so badly compressed and poorly mastered. I have LP's from the late 70's that sound absolutely awful (my guess is the pressing/vinyl was junk). I have recent-era CD's that are warm, lush and wonderful and give me the spine-tingling feeling of good vinyl.

It's the source, IMHO.

Dec 10, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #88 of 106
Quote:

In this case, I have three hundred dollars or so, maybe four hundred - what TTs would you recommend?

I will probably have to go used, right? I have heard good things about the MM-5, but it doesn't look to be in my price range.

Andrew

VPI HW 19jr w/PT 6 Arm & Grado Platinum for $675

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1104974889

$300 more than your budget, but it comes with a good ($300?) cartridge and is really an exceptional turntable for the money. ALL VPI's, IMHO, are excellent.

Dec 11, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #90 of 106
Quote:

How are techniques turntables? If I got that and then a better cartridge, would that be a suitable buy?

I would skip techniques. I believe their tables are direct drive. That works well for dj’ing but does not isolate motor vibrations from the platter well.

For the money, I think a used Rega table (or one of the tables based on a Rega) is your best buy. Rega tables come up used all the time because there are so many of them out there. Just keep an eye out for a good deal, or wait for one to come up locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back