Vinyl or CD?
Nov 26, 2004 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys!

I have been on the search for an improved source for a while now.

I have an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 card, very good sound quality - but I want to also have a player that plays REAL media.

I'm on a college student's budget (I live in an appartment, and not in a dorm room). I will be sending any source materials to a Perreaux SHX-1 revision .5 headphone amplifier, powering a pair of Grado SR225s.

I ask if I should get a turntable or a CD player. I tested out an NAD cd player at a local store (the C541i but it had a multi drive) and I was impressed with the resolution and impact the vocals had. I would really love to have this kind of effect on a turntable.

There are a few things bugging me about turntables:

1. The floor noise (the popping) - this could be due to the fact that my Micro Seiki is very old and when I listened to it, it hadn't been used in over twenty years.
2. I have a feeling that the midrange could be better than a CD, but the impact of bass and the highs may not be

However, I have a HUGE amount of vinyl available to me, all of which is from bands I really like. This would save me a lot of money in the long run of having to buy more music. All the Vinyl is also in very good condition.

So, is there any way of acheiving the sound I want in a turntable (let's say 500 dollars and under)?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Andrew

Nov 26, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 106
With "HUGE amount of vinyl available" I would say giving a tt a try would be worthwhile. Whatever you get you could sell and probably not lose much if anything at all. You already have the music you enjoy. You will need a phono stage and I don't know what is decent at around $150. If you keep an eye out on audiogon, I've seend mmf-5's that come up for sale for around $350. I haven't heard one but they are supposed to good for the money.

I have a Rega P3 and I am really enjoying it, even with the pops and crackles on some albums. I don't find my tt to be lacking in either the lows or highs. Not all albums have floor noise. I picked up a used copy of American Beauty yesterday for $3 and it sounds perfect. I have to add that I've bought some albums for 10x that which did have surface noise. It's worth a try and you probably have little to lose.

Nov 26, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #3 of 106
You have the best reason to get into a vinyl, an existing collection of music. The following is my experience with my new vinyl setup from the last couple of days.

Yes, there will be some surface noise. This can be minimized greatly by cleaning your records. I use a VPI HW 16.5 for cleaning before every listen. Even so, there may be the occasional pop. It hasn't bothered me.

Midrange was great. What really got me was the soundstage and the bass. Soundstage was more expansive and filled in than my cdp. The bass was deep, tight, and most of all, convincing. What it gives up, when compared to my cdp is resolution and extension, although I don't feel that it's lacking when I'm sitting there listening. Needless to say, I'm very happy with vinyl.

I spent about 6 hours setting up my table on monday. That's the longest amount of time I've ever spent setting up my gear. I didn't take me that long to set up the cart with the DB protractor (initial setup). But it took me forever to get the VTF and VTA to sound just right. We're talking about setup, listen, resetting, listen, resetting etc. It can really drive you nuts. Then again, you get to tweak the sound quite a bit.

Nov 26, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 106
With my current vinyl setup (thorens td160super, AT440ML cart, MF XLPS phono stage - total setup s/h under $500), I find the vinyl blows my far more expensive digital source away when it comes to extension. The bass this thing puts out is of the siesmic subterranean kind that grabs you by the throat and rearrages your insides! And that's through modest standmount speakers! The highs are smoother, sweeter and more open and relaxed in their presentation.

Most importantly of all though, vinyl gives you a sense of 'involvement' in the music. Hard to describe (down to the soundstaging perhaps?), but this above all else is where digital can't compete. I use my digital source these days mostly for my 'legacy' collection. Almost all my new music purchases is vinyl is these days, not the other way around!

As for surface noise, I only suffer to the point of mild distraction on 5% of my records, all second hand older stuff that's been abused by the previous owners. Everything I bought new or in reasonably good condition is fine. A lot of it is down to your choice of cartridge. I don't have any fancy cleaning machine, just a brush, a lint-free cloth and some record cleaning spray, and its has done fine for me so far..

Nov 26, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 106
I find vinyl to be just plain fun. Plus, there are tons of great condition records available often for $1-$3 at used music stores. I hate spending $15+ on a CD only to find out I don't like it, but $2 for a record who cares? You're more likely to try new stuff, IMO. Since you already have a wealth of music available to you, you can't go wrong. Budgeting for a record cleaner would be a great investment. Really clean records sound better-lower noise floor, less pops. There are inexpensive solutions costing around $25 (label saver device) up to powered vacuum machines (I love my VPI 16.5). I'd recommend looking for a good used Rega P3 with RB300 arm & cartridge. You can upgrade the cartridge later to almost anything and this table can handle it.

Nov 26, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentamcolin
I find vinyl to be just plain fun.

This kind of sums it up. Everything from the search for an album to cleaning it to playing is part of the experience. On most albums the surface noise is minimal. The music just sounds more alive.

Nov 26, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 106
I already notice some increases in quality when using my old MB-15 turntable, but that thing is busted and actually doesn't spin fast enough to play the album. Ian Anderson's voice on Thick as a Brick = "Aaaandd yeeeerrrr thicccckkkk asssss aaaa briiiiicck!!"
biggrin.gif

I guess turntable it is! I will check out audiogon for a NEW or ALMOST NEW turntable for my price limit. I guess I can go with a cheap phono stage until I can find the money to buy a better one.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, thoughts, and comments guys! Very valuable information.
Andrew

Nov 26, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 106
Hi Aman
Look at a Parasound Phono z , i got one last week to upgrade my older Parasound PPH 100 , it is a great unit with mm/mc switch , around
$150 us, i use it with arega planer 2 .

Nov 26, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 106
By the way, where do you guys buy new vinyl? That's been my biggest grap. The cost of new vinyl is incredibly high. Seems like anything I'm remotely interested in cost $27+ from places like amusicdirect.

Nov 28, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #13 of 106
Aman said:
1. The floor noise (the popping) - this could be due to the fact that my Micro Seiki is very old and when I listened to it, it hadn't been used in over twenty years.
2. I have a feeling that the midrange could be better than a CD, but the impact of bass and the highs may not be
So, is there any way of acheiving the sound I want in a turntable (let's say 500 dollars and under)?
QUOTE]

The bass can be a lot deeper with analog than with digital. Now impact is another thing. It will depend on your phono stage as well.

If you go the used route for $500 you can come close to the sound of your dreams far away from what CDPs can do. But I supposed a record cleaner would be a good idea too since most used records are old.

Then again you might not be the kind of guy who likes to deal with the hassle of vinyl.

Nov 28, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #14 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by marios_mar
The bass can be a lot deeper with analog than with digital. Now impact is another thing.

will a turntable do < 15Hz at any impact.
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 106
These new vinyls are pretty expensive where ever you go. I decided to just bite the bullet and try some out from acoustic sounds. For $126 shipped for 4 albums (180g and 200g vinyl), these have got to be the most expensive albums I've ever bought, including any of my SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back