Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Apr 12, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #1,471 of 1,512
I was actually able to make the Axpona show today for a few hours, headed back home now. I spent ample time with Danny at the Raal table, with pretty good time between the felix envy and the VM1-a, and spent most of the time with the Immanis, but did compare the Magna as well. Also tried the Viva STX w/the SGL Sr. and the Susvara w/the Mass Kobo 465. Lastly, got a really nice long demo with the Aperio and Bruvara systems as well.

Wrote my thoughts down, and will share later this evening or this weekend. But definitely worth making the time and the hour drive! More to come on the impressions.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #1,472 of 1,512
I was actually able to make the Axpona show today for a few hours, headed back home now. I spent ample time with Danny at the Raal table, with pretty good time between the felix envy and the VM1-a, and spent most of the time with the Immanis, but did compare the Magna as well. Also tried the Viva STX w/the SGL Sr. and the Susvara w/the Mass Kobo 465. Lastly, got a really nice long demo with the Aperio and Bruvara systems as well.

Wrote my thoughts down, and will share later this evening or this weekend. But definitely worth making the time and the hour drive! More to come on the impressions.
Ey! Super glad you were able to make it out there. Looking forward to your impressions!

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #1,473 of 1,512

Looking forward to your impressions.

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #1,474 of 1,512
Ey! Super glad you were able to make it out there. Looking forward to your impressions!

It made work hell, but it was worth every penny lol. I have a distant fishing trip tomorrow and have family plans Sunday. Similar to CanJam Chicago, it was worth every sacrifice moving things around to get it done. And thanks for the heads up on the mimic audio table, it was pretty amazing.

Apr 12, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #1,475 of 1,512
I'm terrible at taking pics at these things, as I'm always just trying to get to the gear in limited time. The entire event setup was massive. So much 2-channel gear with incredible $100k+ setups. But next time! For now, while I type some brief thoughts up enjoy!

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

Apr 12, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #1,476 of 1,512
So for thoughts, by item, I won't say entirely too much simply because show circumstances are tough. You don't know the chain, which is huge issue #1, you can't volume match, you only get a small glimpse of things, and in some cases you don't get a full chance to give your well known songs a swing. That said, it's also a big reason I'm very selective when going to these meets. Typically I have 2-3 locations in sight and after that I'm good to go lol.

Anyways, I have some comparison thoughts I'll share in a secondary post, but just general thoughts on each piece for now. In order of how I auditioned:

1. Raal:
    1. Immanis: another amazing headphone for Raal, which is what I completely expected. This is easily they're most complete and* highly advanced offering thus yet. It's not a Sr1a + CA-1a = Immanis type of deal, it's at an elevated level from both entirely. From the first minute I heard it, I almost entirely locked in on it and SGL Sr. in comparison. They are the only two that create as big of a sound they do, width, depth, and holographically. Great tonal balance, great realism (weight and texture of instruments and vocals), very sufficient bass--good impact and presence overall while not overly impressive in that regard. (again for me, most headphones simply aren't in this regard, but it doesn't have the ribbon deficiency and overall it's a bit better than your average stat)
    2. Magna: very good balance, lot of similarities with the Immanis, with just a bit less texture and weight to the sound, a bit less open, but still very good. I would need more time to dive into the nuances of them both. With more time, would love to revisit
  2. Mimic Audio:
    1. SGL Sr. and Viva STX: I was so glad to see that they had the SGL Sr. on hand because I know it so well. And the pads were pretty new, which can really impact bass. So a really ideal opportunity. Interestingly enough, because of the setup, I had to listen for about 20min to a random set of 15 song snippets as one dac was feeding the Mass Kobo dynamic rig and the stat rig lol. Followed by 10min of my own music. Overall, really good sound. All of the openness from my chain was there, the detail/resolution, the imaging really incredible.
      1. The only thing for me was that the weight of the sound (vocals/instruments, all spectrums of sound) and overall perceived bass seems quite a bit higher on the T2. The same was true against the Grand Cayman, although to from what I remember a lesser degree. From everything I've heard, I'm pretty convinced that the T2 is just better than almost everything in this regard. However, a major caveat is that my amp has upgraded tubes, while these amps are mostly running "stock" tubes. I don't think that can make up from the difference I'm hearing, but it should matter
        1. To also be clear here, overall, I think the Grand Cayman sounds closer in performance to the T2 to my ears, and I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy it over the STX. Although to also be clear the STX was very good.. maybe somewhere between the BHSE tier and the T2/Grand Cayman tier--for me
    2. Mass Kobo 465: it powered the Susvara effortlessly, without a single issue or problem and with a "get out of the way" type experience. The sound was rich and full, which is the first sign of the Susvara being underpowered when it isn't, with good bass impact. It seemed a bit more neutral than the AIC-10 I just had for a home demo and somewhat similar to how it sounds on my EC Studio B/CFA3 combo. Either way, it powers the Susvara very well and performs at a top amplification level. I wish I could say more in comparison, but with amps definitely just need much more time together. Would love to compare the Mass Kobo and AIC-10, and with my own system as well.
  3. Warwick Acoustics:
    1. Before talking about the Bruvara and Aperio separately, I want to discuss them overall because I was really impressed and totally expecting something completely different. These headphones are nothing like traditional stats. They have good detail and resolution, but it's not made to be the extreme focus really. They don't have the same openness or holographic nature. The 009, x9000 etc. would match or likely best them in this regard. But it does all of those things effectively, while having a really nice and rich tone and intimacy they both lack. This reminded me a bit more of the HE90 (and I imagine the HE-1 has some similarities). I thoroughly enjoyed my time with both. I always though of the Aperio and Bruvara as headphones that would be extremely redundant with my favorite stats or preferred stat presentation, but that's not really the case.
      1. Bruvara: they both sound somewhat similar, and it could've just been the overall setup influencing this as well. On its own, the Bruvara was very impressive and enjoyable. I listened to it first and didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did.
      2. Aperio: the sound seems to open up a bit more than with the Bruvara and there's a refinement in the texture and weight of things. Similar tone, but feels a bit more resolving.

I know these are super vague descriptions, but in a follow up I'll share some light thoughts on the SGL Sr., Immanis, and Aperio as they relate to each other. For me they are all generally in similar tiers, but with quite a bit of difference between them. I also have some thoughts I want to share around the Felix Envy and the VM-1a.

Lastly, kudos to everyone involved in running Axpona, it was huge and very well organized.

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #1,477 of 1,512
I want to share more thoughts but want to take my time and be thoughtful about it. In the meantime just want to reiterate that the Immanis and Aperio were absolute delights to get a chance to hear. I still can't stand the all in one solution of the Aperio, but it's sound is haunting me a bit. Without getting fully into it, there's a lot of overlap between the SGL Sr. and Immanis, which I feared a bit (tbc, the Immanis has a better, more easy listening tone. But other than that a lot of similarities). But that simply means that it replaces my dynamic/planar version in that spot (Expanse, and was considering the Susvara again--I'd take the Immanis over either easily).

The Aperio could be a good compliment to any of the above. If they had a headphone only option I would've been all over it a long time ago even before hearing it.

Btw, I've also mentioned that the looks of gear don't really matter much to me.. and they don't. But the 24k gold Aperio amp looks absolutely incredible. Usually gold products look really cheesy, but it looks incredible. The $50k price tag is insane though lol

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #1,478 of 1,512
But that simply means that it replaces my dynamic/planar version in that spot (Expanse, and was considering the Susvara again--I'd take the Immanis over either easily).
I had a similar thought lately and wondered wether the Immanis will replace the Expanse in my collection.

Guess I'll see when it arrived and I could thoroughly compare both

Apr 13, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #1,479 of 1,512
I had a similar thought lately and wondered wether the Immanis will replace the Expanse in my collection.

Guess I'll see when it arrived and I could thoroughly compare both

I'll be pretty surprised if it doesn't. :)

I do have to say that there was a substantial improvement from the Feliks Envy, which I know everyone raves about and I respect, to the VM-1a. So much so that it made me pause an amp replacement I had in mind for my system (used AIC-10 replacing the CFA3/EC Studio B) given there's a 300b direct drive amp in the works for raal headphones. Just pointing out, as impressions may very based on amp but that was just one session for me.

Apr 13, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #1,480 of 1,512
I'll be pretty surprised if it doesn't. :)

I do have to say that there was a substantial improvement from the Feliks Envy, which I know everyone raves about and I respect, to the VM-1a. So much so that it made me pause an amp replacement I had in mind for my system (used AIC-10 replacing the CFA3/EC Studio B) given there's a 300b direct drive amp in the works for raal headphones. Just pointing out, as impressions may very based on amp but that was just one session for me.
The new Solaja 300B amplifier is NOT direct drive but will also require the Interface.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #1,481 of 1,512
The new Solaja 300B amplifier is NOT direct drive but will also require the Interface.

Hmm, did not know that. Within the context of the convo I was having with Danny twice on it, I just assumed it was direct drive. In that case, there's really no need for me to hold off for it, but still would like to hear it.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #1,482 of 1,512
Hmm, did not know that. Within the context of the convo I was having with Danny twice on it, I just assumed it was direct drive. In that case, there's really no need for me to hold off for it, but still would like to hear it.
I'm sure it will sound great regardless.

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #1,483 of 1,512
Coming back to some of the few comparison thoughts I intended to share. Keep in mind that they may change over time (particularly w/the Immanis and SGL Sr. when I have them here over time):

• SGL Sr./Imannis: again, very considerable overlap and I probably wouldn't own both if I didn't want to have two nearly equal standard and electrostatic systems. The Raal has better tone and without smoothing over detail or coming off as dark. It felt neutral with a hint of warmth, which I think most people will enjoy. I think both have a really nice texture that shines through with acoustic instruments and vocals--really great weight behind them. The SGL Sr. seems a bit more open overall, and certainly from a depth perspective. However, from front to back (in front of you to behind you), the Immanis is equal or may be a bit better, would need more time. Bass is slightly better, similar to how the x9000 is over the Sr., but still not much much better than other ribbons and stats--however, it is very sufficient, which I would say the Sr. isn't--at least not for all genres. And I said this to Danny, there just isn't a lacking of or longing for more bass with them and I could probably enjoy all genres with them (although I'm not a basshead with headphones). Because I lean towards a detail and spacing presentation first the Sr. still will likely be my favorite, but the Immanis' more easily listening tone and improved bass makes it easily a better all rounder and I think probably a better choice for most people. It actually reminds me of what I hoped the x9000 to be, with more liveliness and a slightly more forward sound
  • Aperio/Sr./Immanis: much more succinct than above, I think the Aperio contrasts both the Sr. and Immanis entirely. All three of them have the very rare and unique ability to bring realism to instruments and vocals like very few can. For me, the Valkyria is probably the only other pair of headphones that does this as well. In example, testing out the Susvara on the Mass Kobo 465 (which powers the Susvara VERY well, as good as other amps I've heard it on), it just doesn't have the same texture and weight specifically regarding instruments and vocals (more on the SGL here later, as I now realize that it doesn't have this strength on every system). The tone and presentation of the Aperio was very addictive. I would absolutely love to have it along with either the SGL Sr. or Immanis as another main pair. A bit frustrating that the price is what it is along with the all-in-one system. But I easily understand how someone would prefer it over the Sr. (and vice versa). Really glad I got the chance to hear it
  • SGL Sr./Viva STX: I really hate to say it, but this was a real disappointment to me. I've heard great things about the STX and it's using my favorite tube, the 300b as power tubes. For the first time, the SGL Sr. came off as thin and I was really confused to start. Timbre and bass was just deficient compared to the T2 in my system. However, outside of that, it was really good--detailed, spacious, speedy, good tone. My only issues were timbre and bass (said tone before instead of bass, just a typo, edited) in which it just sounded leaner compared to my system. It was a learning experience for me, as I should qualify when I make certain statements about the Sr. the way I do. With the Aeras and T2, it has absolutely marvelous timbre and slightly better bass than some other amps. But I even remember the BHSE being quite a bit better with the Sr. I didn't catch the dac, and I have a hunch that maybe it was just a system thing, as I know several people that have heard the STX/Sr. that have had more glaring impressions
  • Feliks Envy/VM1a: I was really surprised to observe a very clear difference in performance between these two. The VM-1a was more forceful, weightier in timbre and tone, and with more authoritative bass. I listened to the Feliks/Immanis first and didn't sense an issue at all and enjoyed the sound, but swapping over, the difference was clear. Danny also mentioned that he agreed with the assessment and that this it was largely due to its pentode mode he had it set in. I wish I had the time to try it in triode mode head to head with the Feliks. I still believe the Envy is great, but it solidified everything I've heard about the VM-1a being optimal for Raal headphones.. I would assume it would likely be more optimal than with my system and the transformer box as well. Bummer the production on these stopped. Very impressed

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #1,484 of 1,512
Coming back to some of the few comparison thoughts I intended to share. Keep in mind that they may change over time (particularly w/the Immanis and SGL Sr. when I have them here over time):

• SGL Sr./Imannis: again, very considerable overlap and I probably wouldn't own both if I didn't want to have two nearly equal standard and electrostatic systems. The Raal has better tone and without smoothing over detail or coming off as dark. It felt neutral with a hint of warmth, which I think most people will enjoy. I think both have a really nice texture that shines through with acoustic instruments and vocals--really great weight behind them. The SGL Sr. seems a bit more open overall, and certainly from a depth perspective. However, from front to back (in front of you to behind you), the Immanis is equal or may be a bit better, would need more time. Bass is slightly better, similar to how the x9000 is over the Sr., but still not much much better than other ribbons and stats--however, it is very sufficient, which I would say the Sr. isn't--at least not for all genres. And I said this to Danny, there just isn't a lacking of or longing for more bass with them and I could probably enjoy all genres with them (although I'm not a basshead with headphones). Because I lean towards a detail and spacing presentation first the Sr. still will likely be my favorite, but the Immanis' more easily listening tone and improved bass makes it easily a better all rounder and I think probably a better choice for most people. It actually reminds me of what I hoped the x9000 to be, with more liveliness and a slightly more forward sound
  • Aperio/Sr./Immanis: much more succinct than above, I think the Aperio contrasts both the Sr. and Immanis entirely. All three of them have the very rare and unique ability to bring realism to instruments and vocals like very few can. For me, the Valkyria is probably the only other pair of headphones that does this as well. In example, testing out the Susvara on the Mass Kobo 465 (which powers the Susvara VERY well, as good as other amps I've heard it on), it just doesn't have the same texture and weight specifically regarding instruments and vocals (more on the SGL here later, as I now realize that it doesn't have this strength on every system). The tone and presentation of the Aperio was very addictive. I would absolutely love to have it along with either the SGL Sr. or Immanis as another main pair. A bit frustrating that the price is what it is along with the all-in-one system. But I easily understand how someone would prefer it over the Sr. (and vice versa). Really glad I got the chance to hear it
  • SGL Sr./Viva STX: I really hate to say it, but this was a real disappointment to me. I've heard great things about the STX and it's using my favorite tube, the 300b as power tubes. For the first time, the SGL Sr. came off as thin and I was really confused to start. Timbre and bass was just deficient compared to the T2 in my system. However, outside of that, it was really good--detailed, spacious, speedy, good tone. My only issues were timbre and bass (said tone before instead of bass, just a typo, edited) in which it just sounded leaner compared to my system. It was a learning experience for me, as I should qualify when I make certain statements about the Sr. the way I do. With the Aeras and T2, it has absolutely marvelous timbre and slightly better bass than some other amps. But I even remember the BHSE being quite a bit better with the Sr. I didn't catch the dac, and I have a hunch that maybe it was just a system thing, as I know several people that have heard the STX/Sr. that have had more glaring impressions
  • Feliks Envy/VM1a: I was really surprised to observe a very clear difference in performance between these two. The VM-1a was more forceful, weightier in timbre and tone, and with more authoritative bass. I listened to the Feliks/Immanis first and didn't sense an issue at all and enjoyed the sound, but swapping over, the difference was clear. Danny also mentioned that he agreed with the assessment and that this it was largely due to its pentode mode he had it set in. I wish I had the time to try it in triode mode head to head with the Feliks. I still believe the Envy is great, but it solidified everything I've heard about the VM-1a being optimal for Raal headphones.. I would assume it would likely be more optimal than with my system and the transformer box as well. Bummer the production on these stopped. Very impressed

Thanks for your extensive comparisons.

I’m really curious about the Immanis as I loved my SR1a before discovering and owning the SGL Sr which I preferred so I sold it eventually.
I’m looking forward to hearing the Immanis at a meet in a couple of months so I will see (listen).

I’m very surprised by your feedback the Viva STX. I’ve enjoyed the combo with the SGL Sr for 3 years and it has been head and shoulders above everything I’ve heard since then.
It is, for me but also for most of my friends, bringing some flesh on the bones which could lack a little with the SGL Sr with other amplifiers, while having a wonderful tone, bass and above all an extreme transparency. The 300b seem to be contributing to those traits. Caveat : I haven’t yet listened to the Eksonic T2 so cannot comment on its performance vs the Viva.

It is possible that you listened to a defective sample or tubes (it could have been harmed during transport (even if it is very sturdy).

Apr 16, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #1,485 of 1,512
Thanks for your extensive comparisons.

I’m really curious about the Immanis as I loved my SR1a before discovering and owning the SGL Sr which I preferred so I sold it eventually.
I’m looking forward to hearing the Immanis at a meet in a couple of months so I will see (listen).

I’m very surprised by your feedback the Viva STX. I’ve enjoyed the combo with the SGL Sr for 3 years and it has been head and shoulders above everything I’ve heard since then.
It is, for me but also for most of my friends, bringing some flesh on the bones which could lack a little with the SGL Sr with other amplifiers, while having a wonderful tone, bass and above all an extreme transparency. The 300b seem to be contributing to those traits. Caveat : I haven’t yet listened to the Eksonic T2 so cannot comment on its performance vs the Viva.

It is possible that you listened to a defective sample or tubes (it could have been harmed during transport (even if it is very sturdy).

I appreciate the comments here and taking the time to read. The Sr. and Immanis are definitely different, but check a lot of the same boxes. It's going to be really interesting to see how much overlap I find over time, but I do suspect it may be considerable. I think you'll just have to wait to hear them, but I think you'll be delighted by them generally either way.

I've been thinking through this a lot more, and I do wonder if there was something wrong with the setup, although everything appeared to be working fine. If I had more time, I would've picked up the 009 that they also had and that could've confirmed for me. I also didn't really have the time to mention it to the vendor to have them check out. The impressions also don't match several people I trust here in what they've heard. I'll keep an eye out to see if I can demo one in the future when given the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back