Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Mar 22, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #1,456 of 1,514
Thanks all for the additions on the DAC front and otherwise. Just made it through a very rough two weeks. Had some travel for work and came down with covid, only the second time in the past 3+ years. Very rough.

Anyways, that's passing now and have had a few sessions this week.

The Valkyria hasn't lost it's new magic at all.. still very enjoyable and getting half of all head time. It does come off as veiled directly from say the SGL. Sr, Expanse, etc., but a few minutes later shines through with its timbre.

HE90 and SGL Sr. have been getting the most use outside of that, which, just superb. I do enjoy the R10 as much, but just can't help shaking that it feels a bit more fragile due to the headband and I just end up using it a bit less than I would otherwise. And I'm very familiar with this headband system as I've owned the CD-3000 quite a few times. Although I love it, I just use the R10 a bit less. I don't have the same concerns for the vintage HE90, L3000, HE60 or the 009/007 stats..

Apr 1, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #1,457 of 1,514
I have been researching DACs a lot lately.... and I think I'm more likely now than ever to never make a change or purchase lol. It's all too stressful and there's too many options lol

Apr 1, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #1,458 of 1,514
I have been researching DACs a lot lately.... and I think I'm more likely now than ever to never make a change or purchase lol. It's all too stressful and there's too many options lol
IMO get something NOS and then you don't have to worry about picking a DAC with the right sound, you can change on the fly via HQPlayer filters.

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #1,459 of 1,514
Yeah there’s a lot of options and it can get overwhelming. Have you considered getting the ARC6 DC4 for your Dave? That could be a more simple alternative for you. Same as you, I’ve been looking for some higher end offerings for the past 6 months or so (MSB, PB, Lampi, Audio Phonique, Nagra, etc.), but everytime I hear how amazing my current DAC sounds, I tell myself that I should just be content with it and maybe get an upgrade on some other fronts.

Right now I’m looking at grounding systems from Shunyata and also looking to get a new source to replace my iMac. Taiko Extreme and Audiophool Music Server 2.1 are the two options I’m considering at the moment. We’ll see what I will end up getting (or not 😁)

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #1,460 of 1,514
Whoa... a lot of folks would consider Dave+Scaler as an endgame dac setup...just curious what characteristics are you in search from future Dac?? Is there something you unsatisfied or something maybe missing with your current dac???

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #1,461 of 1,514
hahahaha. I also went through this phase before I finaly jumped. there is just so so so much out there and its all a PITA to try and hear.
IMO get something NOS and then you don't have to worry about picking a DAC with the right sound, you can change on the fly via HQPlayer filters.
While I love NOS, I dont agree with the notion that HQP will fundamentally change the sound of a dac. It will change some, sure, but very rarely enough to make you like a dac you didnt IME.

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #1,462 of 1,514
While I love NOS, I dont agree with the notion that HQP will fundamentally change the sound of a dac. It will change some, sure, but very rarely enough to make you like a dac you didnt IME.
Personally I've never had any DAC change make me feel this way, all DAC changes have been subtle in my experience.

Apr 2, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #1,463 of 1,514
Yeah there’s a lot of options and it can get overwhelming. Have you considered getting the ARC6 DC4 for your Dave? That could be a more simple alternative for you. Same as you, I’ve been looking for some higher end offerings for the past 6 months or so (MSB, PB, Lampi, Audio Phonique, Nagra, etc.), but everytime I hear how amazing my current DAC sounds, I tell myself that I should just be content with it and maybe get an upgrade on some other fronts.

Right now I’m looking at grounding systems from Shunyata and also looking to get a new source to replace my iMac. Taiko Extreme and Audiophool Music Server 2.1 are the two options I’m considering at the moment. We’ll see what I will end up getting (or not 😁)

Yea, I've considered doing the cap mod for the Dave + adding Farad PSUs. I'm still strongly leaning towards this, just want to be sure as it seems resale value can take a bit of a hit (more-so with the cap mod rather than the PSU mods). I need another DAC anyway, and I wouldn't mind keeping the Dave long term at all, especially if it actually improves.

Whoa... a lot of folks would consider Dave+Scaler as an endgame dac setup...just curious what characteristics are you in search from future Dac?? Is there something you unsatisfied or something maybe missing with your current dac???

I love the resolution and holographic spacing. I think the timbre can improve quite a bit, and the authority of the bass to a lesser degree. Overall it has a really analytical sound, and especially with stats it can be a bit much at times.

hahahaha. I also went through this phase before I finaly jumped. there is just so so so much out there and its all a PITA to try and hear.

The other thing is it seems like DACs sit on the used market, so I don't want to be in a situation where I'm significantly disappointed and then have something I have to take a significant loss on. But this is why I'm limiting my search to just used gear.

A used Lampi is really what I'm after.. probably the Big 7 MKII (or a model below or above depending on price), but there are very few used Lampis on the market. There is a used MKII out there right now, but single ended. Would really prefer balanced.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #1,464 of 1,514
Spending some time with the HE60, 009 and 007 tonight. Have been contemplating whether I can include them in any downsizing (already have a few pieces of equipment pending w/friends, it's time to finally do this lol). And the nostalgia is just making it hard lol.

With classical or anything acoustic.. the HE60 is still such a little engine that could lol. It is the old school HD600 on steroids. Just a bit of a wall like presentation (similar to the Audeze Carbon) and bass light. It's definitely limiting to specific genres and types of songs, but extremely incredible with just those. 009 and 007 next.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #1,465 of 1,514
Spending some time with the HE60, 009 and 007 tonight. Have been contemplating whether I can include them in any downsizing (already have a few pieces of equipment pending w/friends, it's time to finally do this lol). And the nostalgia is just making it hard lol.

With classical or anything acoustic.. the HE60 is still such a little engine that could lol. It is the old school HD600 on steroids. Just a bit of a wall like presentation (similar to the Audeze Carbon) and bass light. It's definitely limiting to specific genres and types of songs, but extremely incredible with just those. 009 and 007 next.

Btw congrats on getting the Pacific. Look forward to your impressions!

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #1,466 of 1,514
Btw congrats on getting the Pacific. Look forward to your impressions!

Thank you!! And this is exactly why everything is on sale LOL

But I can't wait. I've had my eye on it for the past 5 years, and got a good deal directly from the manufacturer. Better than anything I've seen on the hifishark, audiomart etc.

I'll definitely be sharing impressions soon. I'll take the first month to just compare it and the Dave stock and getting a grasp on that alone.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #1,467 of 1,514

My HE60 has gotten a second wind recently when I rediscovered it on the AIC10 + iESL. That combo (and a very, very, light EQ in the bass; something I never do with any other headphone) has breathed a fresh air into it, frankly no longer making it genre specific or limited but great all around. Textured and full bodied beyond what I've previously heard it. Who knew.. I was considering selling it only a short while ago.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #1,468 of 1,514
Since I am on the waiting list to upgrade my BHSE for Grand Cayman, I am hesitating between getting the Hifiman Shangri-LA or ... a Stax X9000 ) . Any advice ? (I already have a Stax SR009s)

--> BTW, is the Hifiman Shangri-la "headphone only" still available ? On Hifiman's WebSite I only see the combo " Hifiman Shangri-LA + AMP " ?

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #1,469 of 1,514
Since I am on the waiting list to upgrade my BHSE for Grand Cayman, I am hesitating between getting the Hifiman Shangri-LA or ... a Stax X9000 ) . Any advice ? (I already have a Stax SR009s)

--> BTW, is the Hifiman Shangri-la "headphone only" still available ? On Hifiman's WebSite I only see the combo " Hifiman Shangri-LA + AMP " ?
hey. yes, you can still buy it by its self (just email your dealer of choice). As for which can to get, that will super largely depend on your preference. Shang is a higher performer, but its also much more flawed than x9k. This leads me to want to rec x9k over it just as a safer bet tbh. If you can swing shang, honestly, an x9k + a dac upgrade from the termi may well end up giving you a better experience than shang on your current chain (or GC) as well. Only way I would req shang to someone who hasnt heard it is if you like a thin sound and massive sound stage at the expense of raw slam (which is kind of the antithesis of your current chain). And I say all of this as someone whos most likely next can is shang btw. I love the thing, but it is quite flawed.

Apr 10, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #1,470 of 1,514

Congrats on the Grand Cayman, it's a great sounding amp, definitely in the elite tier for stats.

I would say you just need to think through the type of sound you like. What stats have you preferred before? More of a 007 guy or a 009 (L300 is another good example here) fan? Prefer a more forward or relaxed sound? Etc. etc.

They're both on the highly resolving side, with the Sr. being more forward and lively, and with a bit more brightness in the highs, while the x9k is much more laid back, with a slight recession in the midrange, but with slightly stronger bass. Most people I've talked to have loved it after purchase, except for one that it was too bright for. I also told another user that felt like the x9k was too bright to not even consider the Sr. Tone is usually the main factor that drives people in either direction. If you prefer a warmer sound, go with the x9k.

If you love the 009, it's a no brainer to spring for the SGL Sr. It's less bright but more resolving, similar positioning as moderately forward, both pretty lively, Sr. has a far bigger stage (especially depth wise). If however, there are major pains of the 009 for you, then you may think differently.

hey. yes, you can still buy it by its self (just email your dealer of choice). As for which can to get, that will super largely depend on your preference. Shang is a higher performer, but its also much more flawed than x9k. This leads me to want to rec x9k over it just as a safer bet tbh. If you can swing shang, honestly, an x9k + a dac upgrade from the termi may well end up giving you a better experience than shang on your current chain (or GC) as well. Only way I would req shang to someone who hasnt heard it is if you like a thin sound and massive sound stage at the expense of raw slam (which is kind of the antithesis of your current chain). And I say all of this as someone whos most likely next can is shang btw. I love the thing, but it is quite flawed.

I think this just strongly comes down to preference. In the x9k thread you'll see a lot of commentary about how flawed it is as well--which to be honest, I don't fully agree with, rather I see each of these headphones being really unique rather than an all rounder such as the Susvara in which most people will just like.

The one aspect I have to disagree on though is in it sounding thin (in general), and especially not against the x9k. Having had both for a long time side by side with the Aeras, BHSE and T2, neither is thin, and the SGL Sr. sound weightier and more textured with instruments/vocals (but again the overall sound doesn't sound weightier or thicker, overall again I think they're closer). Specifically to the weighter texture, that's been true for me, for every other headphone against it except the Valkyria. If specifically you're talking about in the lower region, definitely I could understand the framing there, but that would be relevant to the x9k as well, which is only slightly improved in the region. For reference, the CRBN has slightly better bass impact than both. None of them have significant subbass lol. It just is what it is with stats lol (edit - excluding the HE-1, which seems to be much better than most)

At the super premium cost, I would always try to get a listen prior to making purchase. I think in buying blind for the SGL Sr., I'd only do so if you enjoy the typical stat sound that Stax in example is known for, or you absolutely love the Susvara and don't have sensitivities to brightness and aren't looking for intense slam and sub-bass (outside of these things, they're voiced similarly only with improvements in every technical category).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back