Victim of Beats by Dre Hype Machine: Seeking Audio Salvation, please help!!!!
Mar 24, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #16 of 63
Well, the bass doesn't have to be overwhelming, but I need for it to be able to push out enough bass where I can hear the different levels while mixing. Some songs tend to be more bass heavy, and if I can't pick that up, I have a tendency of allowing it to swallow the other song. I would like it to be bass (ability to hear different levels of bass), but more importantly have a clean sound. Again, I mostly mix trance, dubstep, electro, and house. I know they all have different bass outputs, and that's my dilemma. Doesn't have to be bleeding ears bass, but strong enough for that type of music without jeopardizing the rest of the sounds. Hope that helps some.

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #17 of 63
In that case i would recommend some sennheiser hd558's for home production use. However these are a bad choice if you dj at clubs because they are open headphones and leak sound/let sound in. The bass on these is very tight yet not lacking, and I think they will provide exactly what your looking for in sound signature. The midrange and treble is also very well balanced.

If you need extreme isolation, then I would recommend some sennheiser pxc-350's (noise cancelling). I have a friend who uses these for house/electro production and simply loves them.

I've also been told that the ultrasone hfi-780's are fantastic for mixing, however if you want a more enjoyable sound then you can check out the hfi-580's

Now if you want a truly analytical sound that will reveal the flaws in your music then I would suggest picking up some akg k702's. They are within your price range however you would need an $150++ amp with them, and the bass is very very weak for the genre's that you would be using them for however they would be very revealing.

Quote:
Well, the bass doesn't have to be overwhelming, but I need for it to be able to push out enough bass where I can hear the different levels while mixing. Some songs tend to be more bass heavy, and if I can't pick that up, I have a tendency of allowing it to swallow the other song. I would like it to be bass (ability to hear different levels of bass), but more importantly have a clean sound. Again, I mostly mix trance, dubstep, electro, and house. I know they all have different bass outputs, and that's my dilemma. Doesn't have to be bleeding ears bass, but strong enough for that type of music without jeopardizing the rest of the sounds. Hope that helps some.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #18 of 63
The problem with the XB line is that's exactly what they're made for...SUPER BASS. It's nice for listening but I think mixing with them is a mistake. Not sure about the 1000s, but the other models could use some tightening up.

But if you want a good headphone that you may be able to take to gigs and such when you 'grow up' as a DJ, I'd still suggest HD 25-1s. The best part is the isolation...You can literally be talking to someone and put them on and not hear them 2 feet away from you. Which for a club environment is pretty much the greatest thing in the whole world.

I've actually been in the middle of 10 minute long songs before (so, I had time to spare between mixing in another.) on a night were I wasn't in the mood, and I switched to my DAP and listened to something else, then just popped it back into the mixer and moved on.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #19 of 63
I did some research on the hd 25-1 II series that you mentioned, and it seemed they've been on the market a while.  One thread was dated couple of years ago.  Are built that well they stand the test of time and competition, or is there a new model of that series I should focus on?  Does suck there's not a good place to go test them out.  And it seems there are so many options out there that everyone has their own thoughts to which is the "best" for what they listen to.  I have heard the xb1000's are not as heavy on the bass as the 500 series were, but it still pushed the lows well.  Plus, they said it's phenomenal when it comes to soundstage. I'll have to see if there's some good side by side comparison videos or threads of the two to see how they'd best fit my needs. Funny that now I'm even looking at having two sets, one for in home mixing and another for on the go listening. Never thought I'd learn so much here, but glad I have!!! 

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #21 of 63

Quote:
I did some research on the hd 25-1 II series that you mentioned, and it seemed they've been on the market a while.  One thread was dated couple of years ago.  Are built that well they stand the test of time and competition, or is there a new model of that series I should focus on?  Does suck there's not a good place to go test them out.  And it seems there are so many options out there that everyone has their own thoughts to which is the "best" for what they listen to.  I have heard the xb1000's are not as heavy on the bass as the 500 series were, but it still pushed the lows well.  Plus, they said it's phenomenal when it comes to soundstage. I'll have to see if there's some good side by side comparison videos or threads of the two to see how they'd best fit my needs. Funny that now I'm even looking at having two sets, one for in home mixing and another for on the go listening. Never thought I'd learn so much here, but glad I have!!! 

New model is same as old model, but cable termination and lenght is different, and it also has a detachable cord. while they dont look "awesome" the design and build quality is top of its line.
Joker ranked them best of all this bunch he reviewed: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #22 of 63
Nope same model for years. They're tried and true headphones. You could run them over with a tank and they'd be fine, all replaceable parts, and sound brilliant. Their biggest competition (from what I've seen) is the AIAIAI TMA-1s, they're very similar.

As for your 2 pairs idea, yeah, that's how I ended up. I wanted an end all be all headphone at one time. Never found it. I now have my 750s for home use. Use them totally flat for production, and I tweak them in Foobar to get 'em just right for listening (I'm never happy with EQ settings, I fiddle a lot). And then I have my AIAIAI TMA-1s for portable use. Which are amazing without any tweaking at all (I still EQ them a bit because...I do that).

I suggest the 25s over the TMA-1s for you because the TMAs are VERY dark. Like...Bottom of a cave that hasn't seen light for 1000 years dark. Not exactly the best place to start.

Quote:

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #23 of 63
If you want to DJ and not just for musical enjoyment, hd280 are the best i have heard for that (after a burn in).  You want something very neutral and not flavored when monitoring.  If you want flavored, that's a whole other story.

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #24 of 63

Another excellent suggestion. I did a set with these a few days ago and loved it. Looking into buying a pair of my own soon.
Quote:
If you want to DJ and not just for musical enjoyment, hd280 are the best i have heard for that (after a burn in).  You want something very neutral and not flavored when monitoring.  If you want flavored, that's a whole other story.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #26 of 63
You'll probably end up with almost as many suggestions as there are people answering to this thread, that's how Head-Fi works. :wink:

If your mind is set on the XB1000, I'd say go for it. They might not be exactly what you're looking for but I bet that they'll still sound better than anything else you've used this far. I wouldn't use them on the go though (have you seen the size of those things?!) and agree that the HD25-1 would be a great second set.

To answer your question about amping. Yes, you connect an amp between the player (ipod, pc etc) and the headphones and it can be used with all your headphones. Unfortunately I'm new to this hi-fi stuff myself so I can't give you any recommendations on what amp could be good. I only know that the FiiO E7/E9 are very popular and give nice quality for their price.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #27 of 63
Really great stuff guys; lots of homework to do!  I just got those Beats I originally ordered, connected them and almost vomited.  Not exactly what I thought I would hear, and oddly enough, didn't match the sample songs they had going on in Best Buy.  Not sure if they had those tweaked, amped, or what.  Nevertheless, I could tell the sounds were off.  Earlier today I went in and tried some of the MB 500's, and think those would be great for my on the go phones.  I will diligently research the suggestions you gave me and work out from there.  Love having the support; it helped me not make a costly (and dumb) decision, while at the same time baptizing me into the world of audiophiles. 
L3000.gif
  I'll step in a bit later to see if anything new pops up, but I want to again thank you for your open feedback, direction, and insight.  Have a great weekend!!!!

PS:  Just went over the extensive reviews of Joker and will again have to step back and figure out what I think would be best even for on the go. LOL

Tx Caze for the tips and help on the amps.  I'll have to get more info about which amp would work best for the phones I go for.  Yeah, not going to use the 1000's for outside my house.  I only use those type of phones when I'm going on trips. 

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #28 of 63

Quote:
You'll probably end up with almost as many suggestions as there are people answering to this thread, that's how Head-Fi works. :wink:

I can bet my lunch that he's gonna end up with 4 or 5 cans in less than 3 months. that's how Head-Fi works. :wink:

and XB100 as first and HD25 as second you said? funny!

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #29 of 63
Funny you say that James!  If the XB 1000's hold its bass as well as I hope it does (I know everything else they should be superb at), I'll probably lean on that for my home ones and taking a serious look at the HD 25-1 II's as my on the go sets.  Saw Joker's reviews and a few others swear by them, so if it can keep up with all my Dubstep grooves, I'll probably be sold.  The XB 500's are nice for the price though too, and won't kill me if I lose them.  Damn!  XB 1000's for home, HD 25-1's for personal listening, and XB 500's for taking them out where if they get lost, I don't care.  What HAVE I become!?!?!?!  
basshead.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #30 of 63

Quote:
Funny you say that James!  If the XB 1000's hold its bass as well as I hope it does (I know everything else they should be superb at), I'll probably lean on that for my home ones and taking a serious look at the HD 25-1 II's as my on the go sets.  Saw Joker's reviews and a few others swear by them, so if it can keep up with all my Dubstep grooves, I'll probably be sold.  The XB 500's are nice for the price though too, and won't kill me if I lose them.  Damn!  XB 1000's for home, HD 25-1's for personal listening, and XB 500's for taking them out where if they get lost, I don't care.  What HAVE I become!?!?!?!  
basshead.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi.
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back