very picky customer needs help buying IN THE UK
Aug 9, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #63 of 186
I can't comment on driver size, I used to look at it but it's not a very important factor, in the same product line perhaps it is, but comparing from brand to brand you'll have amazing sound in the Sony EX600 (16mm driver) versus a huge cheap headphone with much worse sound.

Drivers (technically: diaphragms) are more about the material they're made out of, most people don't care and just listen to the headphones, but in the development process driver material is very important. You have a huge range of different driver materials, from paper to titanium, to even silk (in speakers, haven't seen that in a headphone yet).

Aug 9, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #65 of 186
wow, it all sounds very complicated - so how will i know, if i look at the specs, if it has good sound or not? or is it a case of looking them up on here to find out what peoples' opinions are?

interesting re the grados. Headphones that fit round the ears are probably going to be uncomfortable for me, hence looking at ones that are on-ear.

Aug 9, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #66 of 186

Quote:
wow, it all sounds very complicated - so how will i know, if i look at the specs, if it has good sound or not? or is it a case of looking them up on here to find out what peoples' opinions are?

interesting re the grados. Headphones that fit round the ears are probably going to be uncomfortable for me, hence looking at ones that are on-ear.

You don't, specs are pretty useless unfortunately, and more often than not made up on the spot (ever notice how exact they are? 50Hz-18,000Hz) well that 50Hz-18,000Hz headphone will probably perform better than that in real life.

The only specs you can go by is looking at frequency response graphs such as here http://sonove.angry.jp  or what kind of materials are used and how it was developed, but even then the best way to gauge a headphone is just read opinions here... let me find you a thread wait.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-88-portable-headphones-reviewed-sennheiser-hd428-bose-triport-ae-added-08-06

Aug 9, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #71 of 186
After continued reading here, I strongly suggest taking a close look at Senneheiser's HD555.

Aug 9, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #75 of 186

Quote:
Why HD555 not FOSTEX?

Because the HD555's mild clamping force and velor earpads are an ideal fit for someone concerned about comfort, especially someone who wears glasses.  Plus, their sound quality is pretty good and they're quite versitle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back