Venture Electronics Bonus IE - Discussions and Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2019 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 118

RedJohn456

Headphoneus Supremus
VE Bonus IE
Official Thread

_DSC2844.jpg

Introduction
By now I am sure that a great many of you have heard of Venture Electronics, an upstart company that took the audio world by storm with the VE Monk, a $5 dollar earbud that captured the hearts and imagination of audiophiles the world over. Not one to rest on their laurels, they have an ever expanding star studded line up of Earbuds, In ear monitors, headphones accessories and amplifiers as well as accessories spanning from entry level to all the way to TOTL.

They make IEMS??
Though they are best well known for their prowess with earbuds, you might be surprised to know that they are equally committed to the IEM side of things as well. Their IEM offers ranged from budget to all the way not so budget at all lol.

The Bonus IE marks their latest foray into the IEM market after their previous limited release of the Biggie and Smalls, and prior to that the Duke (truly an underrated gem for those after a detailed and ruthlessly honest headphone). Their current TOTL IEM - the Duke Custom is a limited release and not meant for mass market release but has been praised widely by those in TOTL circles.

The monk was meant to be a way for everyone to have easy access to good quality audio without having to pay an arm and a leg for it and in this regard it has been successful beyond's everyone's wildest dreams. But not everyone is able to enjoy earbuds as they are inherently larger than IEMs and are not as secure (depending on your ears).

Enter the Bonus IE - An IEM that aims to provide high quality audio in a package and form factor that is hopefully accessible to a great many people. And at a price that flies in the face of it's competitors, once again positioning themselves to disrupt the status quo.

The official website and listing can be found here

Specifications and Hardware
At the time of making this thread, hardware specifications for the Bonus IE have been hard to find. I have reached out to Venture Electronics and from my limited conversations with them this is what I have learned:

_DSC2879.jpg
  • Price - $20 USD
  • Shell: Aluminum Alloy - matte finish
  • Driver: 10mm Dynamic Driver (N52+)
  • Cable: 99.99% OFC
  • Impedance: 32 ohms (1kHz)
  • Headphone Sensitivity: 115dB (1mW 1kHz)
  • Frequency Range: 17 - 22 000 Hz
_DSC2892.jpg

At first blush, I was surprised to find the shells to be a little larger than I was expecting, but nothing that would make it hard to use. The size helps accommodate the large driver that runs the whole show.

The driver magnet is characterized as being N52+. I find this to be confusing as I have never come across a driver as being described as N52+ I own the Zen 2 and according to their Taobao page, it is rated at N50. I will add that the Bonus IE is quite easy to drive and doesn't require all that much power to run so maybe that has something to do with that?

Their characterization leads me to believe that the driver they are using is different in it's structure, employing tuning that is normally reserved for higher end models. Leave it to Venture Electronics to casually bring something like this to the budget market and not even highlight it -_- What

A lot of thought appears to have gone into the design of the Bonus IE as well. Firstly, the shell is made from an aluminum alloy with a matte finish. You might be wondering, RedJohn456 you sexy beast, why did they not use a gloss finish for the shell? There is a sound reason for this design decision (hah, see what I did there?)

According to VE, when employing a gloss finish for the external surface, the internal surface of the shell has to be the same and this has a negative impact on the sound (due to surface reflections)

The Bonus IE is using the same high quality cable that can be found with the Monk Plus. Any monk plus owner will attest to the quality of those cables, from both a sonic and physical perspective.

_DSC2924.jpg

Accessories and Packaging
The headphone comes packaged securely in a stylish denim flavored IEM carrying case along with a set of tips. They have managed to keep the costs down by cutting out lavish packaging and unnecessary accesories.

1556255526662049086.jpg

Where can you get it?
The easiest place to get it is from the official Venture Electronics Website (Veclan.com).

I will be testing the Bonus IE for the next little while and I will be updating the second post with my impressions and a link to my final review once that goes up.

Edit: Updated Sound Impressions/Review
It has been awhile since I created this thread and since then, I have continued to use the Bonus IE on daily basis. It has quietly become a staple in my collection and something that I rely on everyday.

_DSC2932.jpg

The Bonus IE (I will refer to it as the BIE going forward in this post) is a stark reminder that you really don't have to spend a whole lot of money to experience good sound. I know new products are coming out with glamorous designs and untold number of balanced armature drivers, but I have always preferred the sound of a well rounded dynamic driver. Sometimes less is more. Except when it comes to one's bank account.

To begin, I have done some tip rolling have settled on a set of tips that I am happy with. I am talking about the KZ whirlwind eartips. In addition to affording a better seal in my ears, I feel it allows one to experience the balanced sound that the BIE is capable of, it's true potential.

And the BIE is capable of a whole lot - even out of a cellphone. Not only is it easy to drive, but it sounds great at lower volumes. It also reasonably scales with gear - sounds great out of my desktop set ups and dedicated source gear and amps. But most of the time it is used in conjunction with my iPhone and Odyssey HD as I prefer the convenience that this portable set up affords me.

The BIE is surprisingly detailed and they are nicely discernible and separated in a mix. The individual elements don't get lost in a mix and things are easy to make out thanks to great dynamics and layering. Don't let it its price tag fool you - it has great resolution and dynamics with fantastic layering and separation.

The soundstage is believable and realistic. Audio cues are spatially represented and 3 dimensional. I enjoyed listening to a lot of orchestral pieces with the BIE (attack on titan official sound tracks) and the aforementioned characteristics made it a joy to go through my favourite game tracks. The BIE is not weak with any genre and is suited to a wide variety of music styles.

Most IEMS in this price category tend to boos treble and energy in the upper registers to give the appearance of increased detail but not the BIE. The treble is sparkly and not at all harsh and the BIE is properly detailed, without going overboard with the treble. Transparent, detailed and reigned in like a ballet dancer carefully balanced on their toes.

The BIE has a tasteful V shaped sound signature with a relatively recessed but detailed midrange with great timbre. Lush, natural and organic are words I would use to describe the BIE midrange. IT sounds wonderful with vocal pieces, instrumentals, while also rocking your eardrums with EDM tracks. The background elements are easy to follow along and they sort of hauntingly float there - something I am enjoying with a lot of dance music.

The BIE impresses no matter what I am in the mood to listen to. It just disappears and gets out of the way, allowing me to enjoy my music unhindered. And it manages to do this at a price point that leaves me scratching my head - HOW??

How does VE make a banger of an IEM and price it like this? A lot of people might look at the price tag and write it off and it doesn't help that it is named as something that comes bundled in with another product.

But I am here to tell you that is not the case. it is not a bundled in item but rather the star of the show!

The BIE has set a new standard for me - that is to say what I now expect at these price points. The competition has no excuse, they need to step up at the prices they are charging.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 118
I will be collating BIE reviews and impressions and gathering the links in this post for easy browsing. I will be periodically updating this post as I come across more reviews and videos.

William Murdoch - The headphone Experience -

HawaiiBadBoy aka Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews -

For those who are posting reviews, it seems a product page is already up and running, so be sure to file your review here, so the written reviews are easily indexed and searchable:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/venture-electronics-bonus-ie-ve-bie.23746/reviews

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 118
The Biggie and Smalls were so terrible for $65, I wouldn’t spend $5 on these.

I wasn't a big fan of the biggie and smalls myself but the BIE is heaps better than them. I have been doing a lot of tip rolling and I have found a set up that really blows my mind with it's clarity and transparency. If you ever get the chance to hear it, you might change your mind :)

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 118
I wasn't a big fan of the biggie and smalls myself but the BIE is heaps better than them. I have been doing a lot of tip rolling and I have found a set up that really blows my mind with it's clarity and transparency. If you ever get the chance to hear it, you might change your mind :)
Hi there i have ordered a couple of sets of this iem could you be more specific about which type of tip produces the best midrange and detailed sound many thanks

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 118
Hi there i have ordered a couple of sets of this iem could you be more specific about which type of tip produces the best midrange and detailed sound many thanks

I will be honest, the original tips with the BIE weren't to my liking and I found that the tips I had with the VE duke was perfect for bringing the midrange forward. I have expressed my disappointment to VE and they have assured me all new orders will be shipped with new more suitable tips.

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 118
I will be honest, the original tips with the BIE weren't to my liking and I found that the tips I had with the VE duke was perfect for bringing the midrange forward. I have expressed my disappointment to VE and they have assured me all new orders will be shipped with new more suitable tips.
I really hope so because duke is discontinued its maddness that they dont include those tips as standard are they wide bore or narrow?

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 118
For me the BIE is a $20 iem, it's far far away from being a giant killer or anything. It's smooth and inoffensive but lacks in detail retrieval, instruments sound kinda plastic and off like lacking in dynamics and natural reverb. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent iem, but the hype surrounding it is trying to turn it into a TOTL performer and it is not that.

Let me guess, that it's the best sub-$1000 iem? I tried it with a bunch of different tips. Like I said it's a decent iem, especially if you want something smooth and organic sounding, but it just sounds kinda artificial and doesn't really shine in any aspect. For instance, the ve biggie and smalls were a lot less balanced due to the crazy boosted bass and lower mids but at least the low end was actually very good - tight, thick and thundering, which is very rare at this price point. The BIE doesn't have any real standout qualities with regard to the lows, mids and highs, the soundstage size, instrument separation and layering are average at best.

The sony mh1/c is a much better overall performer and as people around here know I also things its overhyped. So there is that. If the BIE was really this mindblowingly good as the hype suggests, then Lee wouldn't be selling it for 20-30 bucks, but at least in the range of the Duke. The BIE is not a giant killer, it's not even in the running for being the best in its price range.

I still am very interested in hearing what KK and Lee are cooking as the Biggie and Smalls' successor though.

Apr 30, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 118
I have BIE for some time now - think i received them from first official batch - no fancy box just plain kind of boring iems with plain but solid cable - and tips that didn't do it justice. Vwry solid build quality and nice weight and comfort. But i am not the type of guy who cares a lot about that kind of stuff. (except tips but that was rectified by VE with next batches and I also received some other tips with next order that suited BIEs better)

What is important for me is the sound (and comfort - no complains here) and Sound is just way beyond what could be expected from 20USD single DD IEMs.
Just love it - very musical and coherent sound - nothing over done, no frequency overexposed - all of it comes together very well. Also very enjoyable - type of tuning that do not get in a way of music.

Some may say not detailed enough - maybe - but i would say one would have to spend 10x more for single DD iem that retrieve more details or go multi BE and I personally do not know any multi BE IEMs that sound right (I know that some people love it and even I would admit that technically some offerings are better than single DD one but they just dont sound right or musical - in my opinion those are made for those who listen to gear not music - not criticizing just saying not my cup of tea. There are some hybrids that come close ( more details and almost musical ) but I just properly done single DD so much more enjoyable.

my 2 cents
The Biggie and Smalls were so terrible for $65, I wouldn’t spend $5 on these.
I understand that B and S had somehow eclectic tuning - but i need to admit that i was very well informed or even warned about the sound signature. Those would not be my daily choice but i like to use them every now and then
- also judging product by previous ones is your right - silly but still your right...
You must be very disappointing with B and S that you waste your time writing about it in unrelated thread I just dont understand why you didnt send them back for a full refund...

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 118
It's just a BUDGETED iem, bro.
20 bucks will be down payment for a new entry level iem, which Lee mentions all the time but nobody ever knows the timeline.
I decided to deposit one dollar every day. By the time the iems are ready, I guess I can afford 2 :wink:
VE Bonus IE
Official Thread

Introduction
By now I am sure that a great many of you have heard of Venture Electronics, an upstart company that took the audio world by storm with the VE Monk, a $5 dollar earbud that captured the hearts and imagination of audiophiles the world over. Not one to rest on their laurels, they have an ever expanding star studded line up of Earbuds, In ear monitors, headphones accessories and amplifiers as well as accessories spanning from entry level to all the way to TOTL.

They make IEMS??
Though they are best well known for their prowess with earbuds, you might be surprised to know that they are equally committed to the IEM side of things as well. Their IEM offers ranged from budget to all the way not so budget at all lol.

The Bonus IE marks their latest foray into the IEM market after their previous limited release of the Biggie and Smalls, and prior to that the Duke (truly an underrated gem for those after a detailed and ruthlessly honest headphone). Their current TOTL IEM - the Duke Custom is a limited release and not meant for mass market release but has been praised widely by those in TOTL circles.

The monk was meant to be a way for everyone to have easy access to good quality audio without having to pay an arm and a leg for it and in this regard it has been successful beyond's everyone's wildest dreams. But not everyone is able to enjoy earbuds as they are inherently larger than IEMs and are not as secure (depending on your ears).

Enter the Bonus IE - An IEM that aims to provide high quality audio in a package and form factor that is hopefully accessible to a great many people. And at a price that flies in the face of it's competitors, once again positioning themselves to disrupt the status quo.

The official website and listing can be found here

Specifications and Hardware
At the time of making this thread, hardware specifications for the Bonus IE have been hard to find. I have reached out to Venture Electronics and from my limited conversations with them this is what I have learned:

• Price - $20 USD
  • Shell: Aluminum Alloy - matte finish
  • Driver: 10mm Dynamic Driver (N52+)
  • Cable: 99.99% OFC
  • Impedance: 32 ohms (1kHz)
  • Headphone Sensitivity: 115dB (1mW 1kHz)
  • Frequency Range: 17 - 22 000 Hz

At first blush, I was surprised to find the shells to be a little larger than I was expecting, but nothing that would make it hard to use. The size helps accommodate the large driver that runs the whole show.

The driver magnet is characterized as being N52+. I find this to be confusing as I have never come across a driver as being described as N52+ I own the Zen 2 and according to their Taobao page, it is rated at N50. I will add that the Bonus IE is quite easy to drive and doesn't require all that much power to run so maybe that has something to do with that?

Their characterization leads me to believe that the driver they are using is different in it's structure, employing tuning that is normally reserved for higher end models. Leave it to Venture Electronics to casually bring something like this to the budget market and not even highlight it -_- What

A lot of thought appears to have gone into the design of the Bonus IE as well. Firstly, the shell is made from an aluminum alloy with a matte finish. You might be wondering, RedJohn456 you sexy beast, why did they not use a gloss finish for the shell? There is a sound reason for this design decision (hah, see what I did there?)

According to VE, when employing a gloss finish for the external surface, the internal surface of the shell has to be the same and this has a negative impact on the sound (due to things like echoes)

The Bonus IE is using the same high quality cable that can be found with the Monk Plus. Any monk plus owner will attest to the quality of those cables, from both a sonic and physical perspective.

Accessories and Packaging
The headphone comes packaged securely in a stylish denim flavored IEM carrying case along with a set of tips. They have managed to keep the costs down by cutting out lavish packaging and unnecessary accesories.

Where can you get it?
The easiest place to get it is from the official Venture Electronics Website (Veclan.com).

I will be testing the Bonus IE for the next little while and I will be updating the second post with my impressions and a link to my final review once that goes up.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #13 of 118
Like monk, bie is always hungry for current. I do like Biggies, but bie is more balanced overall.
I don't think it will be a successor to them, as it's just a budgeted gadget (like Monk) ...

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #14 of 118
There is always someone who does keep them but doesn't like them at all.
They must be billionaires, lol.
I have BIE for some time now - think i received them from first official batch - no fancy box just plain kind of boring iems with plain but solid cable - and tips that didn't do it justice. Vwry solid build quality and nice weight and comfort. But i am not the type of guy who cares a lot about that kind of stuff. (except tips but that was rectified by VE with next batches and I also received some other tips with next order that suited BIEs better)

What is important for me is the sound (and comfort - no complains here) and Sound is just way beyond what could be expected from 20USD single DD IEMs.
Just love it - very musical and coherent sound - nothing over done, no frequency overexposed - all of it comes together very well. Also very enjoyable - type of tuning that do not get in a way of music.

Some may say not detailed enough - maybe - but i would say one would have to spend 10x more for single DD iem that retrieve more details or go multi BE and I personally do not know any multi BE IEMs that sound right (I know that some people love it and even I would admit that technically some offerings are better than single DD one but they just dont sound right or musical - in my opinion those are made for those who listen to gear not music - not criticizing just saying not my cup of tea. There are some hybrids that come close ( more details and almost musical ) but I just properly done single DD so much more enjoyable.

my 2 cents

I understand that B and S had somehow eclectic tuning - but i need to admit that i was very well informed or even warned about the sound signature. Those would not be my daily choice but i like to use them every now and then
- also judging product by previous ones is your right - silly but still your right...
You must be very disappointing with B and S that you waste your time writing about it in unrelated thread I just dont understand why you didnt send them back for a full refund...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back