Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50?
Mar 9, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #166 of 441
With shipping, it comes out to be $14.15 for me. That's way too much for me since my pads are still in perfect condition :frowning2:

Quote:
For those of you looking for a felt/fabric type replacement pad, the turtle beach x11 pads seem to fit the m50s perfectly. see here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/537220/have-turtlebeaches-and-m50s-try-it. and for only $2 a pad, they are really cheap. I would have tried it but I just sold my m50s so I cannot comment on how it affects sound.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #168 of 441
Picked up a paid of DT250 pads from B&H, they were fairly uncomfortable for me.  My ears didnt get warm like they did with the stock pads, but the pads were very uncomfortable with some pinching at different contact points.  The actual hole looks a little smaller than the ones on the stock pads, so if your ears feel close to cramped in the stock pads, it wont get any better in the DT250 pads.  I think your ear is intended to fit either fully in the hole or tuck slightly behind the lip of the pad.  Unfortunately, behind the lip is not the soft velour material, but is a plastic-type layer (with holes, you can see it in pictures on vendor websites) that feels really uncomfortable to me, feels really stiff against my ear.  Thought I could deal with it, but after wearing them for more than 20min, decided the heat issue wasn't worth the pain.  Maybe I'll try the 840 pads.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #169 of 441
Picked up a pair of 840 pads that are MUCH more comfortable than the stock pads.  Softer, more plush.  Ppl have noted more sound leakage/worse isolation and decreased sound quality.  I'm not noticing a huge difference, and the the comfort difference is WAY too good to pass up.

The pads are just marginally looser than the stock pads, ppl have commented that they rotate really easily.  I found that they rotate about as easily as the stock pads, so..  Maybe if leakage is a problem, it might be coming from the edge of the pads that attaches to the headphone itself.  Might try filling in the small gap with plastic piping or something to seal it a little better.

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #170 of 441
I just got a set of M50s with DT250 velour pads in today. First impressions, they're actually quite comfortable and deal with the clamping force well. The M50 pads always seemed a little too hard for me and always pressed in on my ears. I don't have that problem with the velours. However, they definitely change the sound signature... IMO, for the worse. I haven't spent much time with the stock pads so I won't give any impressions but I will say they definitely do increase the bass.

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #171 of 441

Quote:
I just got a set of M50s with DT250 velour pads in today. First impressions, they're actually quite comfortable and deal with the clamping force well. The M50 pads always seemed a little too hard for me and always pressed in on my ears. I don't have that problem with the velours. However, they definitely change the sound signature... IMO, for the worse. I haven't spent much time with the stock pads so I won't give any impressions but I will say they definitely do increase the bass.

I'm actually having a conversation about this very issue in another thread - just wondering if you've spent any more time with the new pads/ready to give more impressions? I tried the 840 pads and REALLY hated the sound change - but it seemed like those decreased the bass by quite a bit.

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #172 of 441
Not sure if this is mentioned here yet but here goes:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/470304/shure-srh840-earpad-mod

This is genius! It's such a simple mod that could translate to the comfort of the velour (depends on how much $$ you spend on the socks lol), without much alteration of the stock M50 pad sound signature. Plus, with wear-and-tear you just need a new pair of socks!

I only have white and gray socks, will be getting some black ones for this ha.

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #173 of 441

Quote:
I'm actually having a conversation about this very issue in another thread - just wondering if you've spent any more time with the new pads/ready to give more impressions? I tried the 840 pads and REALLY hated the sound change - but it seemed like those decreased the bass by quite a bit.

I taped the backs of the velour pads, which seems to help control the completely bloated bass and dead highs. The velour pads still aren't good enough to listen to, though, IMO. The stock pads are nice and balanced, with a small recession in the mids and a small mid-bass hump, but otherwise are fine. The velour pads muffle the treble a little bit and bloat the bass.

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #174 of 441
Thank you, Aflac. That's about the answer I was thinking - just hoping for better news. Still, even if I have to buy replacement pads every 6 months it'll be worth it for this sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #175 of 441
Dunno if this was already asked, but how do the Velour pads feel with glasses on? I noticed that the pleather pads hurt right where my glasses meet my head (sides of head) after long use (2~3 hours).
Also, I understand that the SQ of the M50s drastically changes (especially the bass), but can this be put back to normal by taping those holes under the pads? Thank you~

And yes, I have stretched out the headband of the M50 to reduce clamping pressure.

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #177 of 441
Apr 3, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #178 of 441

Quote:
Dunno if this was already asked, but how do the Velour pads feel with glasses on? I noticed that the pleather pads hurt right where my glasses meet my head (sides of head) after long use (2~3 hours).
Also, I understand that the SQ of the M50s drastically changes (especially the bass), but can this be put back to normal by taping those holes under the pads? Thank you~

And yes, I have stretched out the headband of the M50 to reduce clamping pressure.

I did try the mod with the tape.  TBH it doesn't change that much.  Nowhere near normal.  It messes with the sound too (not for the better IMO).

Those holes are there for a reason.  Anything like this that is actually tuned for a somewhat neutral frequency response isn't going to benefit from simple mods like that.  The only reason cheap headphones arguably benefit from mods like that is because they are tuned to be insanely bassy in order to appeal to your average person.  If people see 'super extra uber bass' on the package, that's going to be a huge selling factor for many people.  Some of the mods you see on here take away some of that bloated muddyness.  I'm sure if the targeted customers weren't bass heads their engineers could make them sound even flatter and clearer than the DIY stuff you see.

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #179 of 441
hmm, I wouldn't mind a tad bit more bass, but if it's to the point where its "super extra uber bass", I think I'm going to have to pass on this mod...by "it messes with the sound too", do you mean that the taping also messes with the mids and treble? Also, how much isolation is lost? (if the stock ones are 100% isolation, what % isolation do the velours give at the same volume and environment?) Thanks~

Quote:
I did try the mod with the tape.  TBH it doesn't change that much.  Nowhere near normal.  It messes with the sound too (not for the better IMO).

Those holes are there for a reason.  Anything like this that is actually tuned for a somewhat neutral frequency response isn't going to benefit from simple mods like that.  The only reason cheap headphones arguably benefit from mods like that is because they are tuned to be insanely bassy in order to appeal to your average person.  If people see 'super extra uber bass' on the package, that's going to be a huge selling factor for many people.  Some of the mods you see on here take away some of that bloated muddyness.  I'm sure if the targeted customers weren't bass heads their engineers could make them sound even flatter and clearer than the DIY stuff you see.

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #180 of 441

Quote:
hmm, I wouldn't mind a tad bit more bass, but if it's to the point where its "super extra uber bass", I think I'm going to have to pass on this mod...by "it messes with the sound too", do you mean that the taping also messes with the mids and treble? Also, how much isolation is lost? (if the stock ones are 100% isolation, what % isolation do the velours give at the same volume and environment?) Thanks~

Quote:

The velours don't lose too much isolation on the inside, but have mild leak issues at somewhat-louder-than-normal volumes. I have impressions of the sound with velours and with velours plus taped backs a few posts up. I've never done the tape-holes-under-pad mod so I'm not sure about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back