Vegan friendly headphone list
Dec 5, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #61 of 284
Well right now I’m listening to Grado 125’s I bought in 2003! Two little kids, so very occasional listening while my wife watches something I don’t care for. Cheaper the better, I guess? Maybe up to 400?

what’s up Baltimore...I’m in Annapolis
Audeze Mobius is $400, closed back, and no leather as far as I know. I enjoy mine and fine them quite versatile, with the bonus of being amazing at simulating surround sound for movie watching.

Of course not everything would be completely vegan, such as glues, even glues used in boxes in probably any headphone. I've been vegan for 30 years and nothing in life is 100% perfect 100% of the time. I agree though that eliminating leather from headphone purchases has the largest impact in reduction of animal products in headphones. I also like to support companies that go out of their way to provide vegan options, even calling them vegan as is done at ZMF and Audeze.

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #62 of 284
Audeze Mobius is $400, closed back, and no leather as far as I know. I enjoy mine and fine them quite versatile, with the bonus of being amazing at simulating surround sound for movie watching.

Of course not everything would be completely vegan, such as glues, even glues used in boxes in probably any headphone. I've been vegan for 30 years and nothing in life is 100% perfect 100% of the time. I agree though that eliminating leather from headphone purchases has the largest impact in reduction of animal products in headphones. I also like to support companies that go out of their way to provide vegan options, even calling them vegan as is done at ZMF and Audeze.

thanks, I’ve always wanted to try a pair of Audeze’s. I’ll look into those too.

Dec 6, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #70 of 284
I would THINK your receiver could push the Beyer DT 1770s well, even though they're 250 ohms. Also, I haven't tried them but I LOVE the 1990s which are supposed to be very similar as open back and are easily driven by the Jotunheim which I guess isn't really saying much since it's pretty powerful. Anyway, it might be worth a try if you have amazon prime. I just looked and they're offering free shipping and returns on it.

Dec 6, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #71 of 284
I would THINK your receiver could push the Beyer DT 1770s well, even though they're 250 ohms. Also, I haven't tried them but I LOVE the 1990s which are supposed to be very similar as open back and are easily driven by the Jotunheim which I guess isn't really saying much since it's pretty powerful. Anyway, it might be worth a try if you have amazon prime. I just looked and they're offering free shipping and returns on it.

I put them on the list. Thanks!

the only thing i know about the headphone section of my Yamaha comes from the Sixmoons review:

"Minor quibbles aside, thus far the A-S801 has proven itself quite a delectable component but we must still look at one last feature that might have gotten lost in the process. With so much under the hood, one would be forgiven for assuming that the headphone stage was a throwaway stowaway. That would be a mistake. Everything already described applies. It’s the same DAC and apparently a feed from the same output stage. Additionally Pure Direct can be engaged for headfi. All the detail, dynamics and neutral tonal balance translate. I threw every headphone I had access to at it. In the end, the only thing I came away with was an appreciation for the different signatures inherent in the headphones, not any glaring flaws or performance inadequacies for the Yamaha. Since the Burson 160D and DA&T headphone amp/DACs were available and neither of them slouches, I gave them a run around the comparative block to see how they fared against the A-S801."

Dec 6, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #73 of 284
This thread is gold, please don't let it die. What about vegan DACs, Amp's and cables? I heard a lot of cables at least in the auto industry used some sort of peanut oil on the inside of the cable causing squirrels to nibble into it, ruining the owners car and harming the squirrels. Does anyone know if this is used in the headphone cable industry? #firstworldproblems

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #75 of 284
This thread is gold, please don't let it die. What about vegan DACs, Amp's and cables? I heard a lot of cables at least in the auto industry used some sort of peanut oil on the inside of the cable causing squirrels to nibble into it, ruining the owners car and harming the squirrels. Does anyone know if this is used in the headphone cable industry? #firstworldproblems

do you have anything interesting to add or are you just interested in making yourself sound juvenile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back