Valab NOS DAC - subjective listening and modifications
Jun 3, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #1,936 of 2,013
Heres another update for you to try. Replaced the small 100nF smd bypass caps with  Vishay MKP1837 10nF.  I stole the idea from the chameleon thread.  I'm surprised at how much difference it made.  

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #1,937 of 2,013
actually that is one of the first things I ever did in my CD Player (back in the late eighties) and it makes a lot of difference indeed!
Never got around to do that in the Valab.....hmmmm I see a soldering job for later today....

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #1,938 of 2,013
Yes, its definitely worth your time. I have been off work for a few weeks so decided to revisit some old projects.  I figured I might pick up some new ideas from the Chamelean thread and found this mod. I even had the caps in my parts draw. It didn't take long at all.  I just snipped the middle off the smd caps and then soldered straight on the old pads.  Job done. 

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #1,939 of 2,013
hehe you guys never stop tinkering with that lil thing.. I swear, this is going to be the very last thing I am going to mod on the valab. Ordered some vishays last night, so I am guessing they each should go between pins 2 and 7? Do I leave the SMD caps intact? Lastly, those vishays are non-polar right?

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #1,940 of 2,013
The new film caps are actually in parallel with the 47uF ones you are about to fit. You can just wrap the wires from the film caps around the legs of the electrolytics then solder it in place as one.  The film caps are non polar.  Like I just said about removing the small caps, I just cut the center part away then scraped between the remaining solder pads.  This leaves a nice solder area to attatch the new cap leads to, and yes you do need to remove all the small smd caps when doing this mod.  It really is quite easy.

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #1,946 of 2,013
Hi guys,
I've been trying hard to find a Lundahl 1574 but can't find a place who will ship to Israel.
Is there by any chance someone here with a spare unit who is willing to ship it for me? I will pay for the shipping and the item of-course.

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #1,948 of 2,013
did you check the Lundahl website for a distributor in Israel, or did you contact Lundahl in Sweden?

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #1,949 of 2,013
I didn't thought Lundahl does private shipping and sales, especially for just 1pc.
It's just that other places over price with shipping rates.. some charge $50 which is outrageous. All I need is the lowest USPS shipping method - I don't mind waiting. That's why I asked personally on the forum if a member would do such a favor.

Anyway I sent them an email.. hope it will be under $50 (No taxes).
Thanks.

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #1,950 of 2,013
do you have to pay taxes over the S&H too 
confused_face_2.gif

The part itself will cost approx € 20-25 Iif I'm not misstaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back