V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 14, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #4,396 of 23,366
Quote:
aw man >.< Well bummer :/ So I am hearing that on the lps that they have WAY too much bass. Is it really that bad? Like too much to the point of where you can't hear anything else much?

Bass is quite emphasized in the LP1s, and sometimes they do play a part in drowning out the mids and trebles, but it's not as bad as you put it. If you need a pair of durable headphones on the go, I think the LP1s for $80 is a respectable purchase. I own the headphones and purchased them in early 2012 at a similar price. When it's loud outside, sometimes I even enjoy the extra bass kick as it seems to make the music more audible overall. I think the sound is fun, and it really makes you do the little head bob thing when a song on shuffle comes on bass thumping.

But for indoors use and "accurate" sound, no, these aren't the most suitable pair of headphones. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #4,397 of 23,366
Quote:

Bass is quite emphasized in the LP1s, and sometimes they do play a part in drowning out the mids and trebles, but it's not as bad as you put it. If you need a pair of durable headphones on the go, I think the LP1s for $80 is a respectable purchase. I own the headphones and purchased them in early 2012 at a similar price. When it's loud outside, sometimes I even enjoy the extra bass kick as it seems to make the music more audible overall. I think the sound is fun, and it really makes you do the little head bob thing when a song on shuffle comes on bass thumping.

But for indoors use and "accurate" sound, no, these aren't the most suitable pair of headphones. 

Would you recommend buying the LP's on sale over the LP2's that cost $179 on Amazon or is the extra money spent on LP2s worth it? I'm still undecided between which V-Moda headphones I am going to purchase (LP/LP2 or M-80/100).

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #4,398 of 23,366
Quote:
Would you recommend buying the LP's on sale over the LP2's that cost $179 on Amazon or is the extra money spent on LP2s worth it? I'm still undecided between which V-Moda headphones I am going to purchase (LP/LP2 or M-80/100).

by that logic, the extra $100 would be better placed waiting for the M100's
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #4,399 of 23,366
Quote:

Here's the response I got for Valkolton

Think of the LP2 (squared) as a limited edition model of the LP. There was a bit of fine tuning done with the LP2 but nothing significant to the ear. 

I think you should wait for reviews on the M100, before making a decision.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #4,401 of 23,366

Totally agree with this, the whole audio spectrum is present unlike the Sony XB-500 super-basshead cans. The LPs are great on a trolley commute or while working, they have a really "fun" tilt to their signature, which is a great counterpoint to my more "cold, analytical" reference headphone. I prefer several songs and albums with these than my reference can, and they're also sized right for on-the-go listening. The M-80s are overall better cans (more convenient size too), but my LPs were far cheaper and they have a big enough difference from the rest of my lineup to fill a niche.

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #4,402 of 23,366
Quote:
Totally agree with this, the whole audio spectrum is present unlike the Sony XB-500 super-basshead cans. The LPs are great on a trolley commute or while working, they have a really "fun" tilt to their signature, which is a great counterpoint to my more "cold, analytical" reference headphone. I prefer several songs and albums with these than my reference can, and they're also sized right for on-the-go listening. The M-80s are overall better cans (more convenient size too), but my LPs were far cheaper and they have a big enough difference from the rest of my lineup to fill a niche.

Any thoughts on LP for $80 vs. LP2 for $180 vs. Denon DN-HP1000 (rebranded 700MK2) for $131?  Bass, mid detail and high end extension?

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #4,403 of 23,366
+1 for headphone stand, I need something snazzy looking to complement my home studio setup. My current headphone stand is a coathanger attached to my piano, kinda brings down the £500+ I've spent on the rest. Something in silver or black would be pimpin. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #4,404 of 23,366
Quote:
Expectations: accentuated bass and inoffensive treble. That's it. I'm also expecting that both the M4U and K550 will outperform the M-100 in certain areas. What I judge to be "best" out of the three will be a purely subjective assessment based on overall sonic performance, comfort, and build quality.

I think I may be on the wrong thread now, I essentially needed portable headphones to go to and from Uni but seeing the expectations some of you have is quite low! I can get the K550 for £179 but M-100 will cost me at least £280!

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #4,405 of 23,366
Quote:
Any thoughts on LP for $80 vs. LP2 for $180 vs. Denon DN-HP1000 (rebranded 700MK2) for $131?  Bass, mid detail and high end extension?

For an interim headphone, I'd probably go for the LP's, at this price. The colors available @ $80 are not usually priced below $100, so reselling at break-even or small loss should be relatively easy, compared to the others

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #4,406 of 23,366
Quote:

It really depends on your plans - retail M100s won't be around for a good while. Prototypes might not be quite as polished as the final end product that makes it to market. Can you wait for the 100s to come out, or do you want your headphones now?

Is money an object? Do you have other headphones you can compare it to? I can't really say if it's "worth" your money. That's up to your budget and what you want to do with it.
wink_face.gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #4,407 of 23,366
Quote:

It really depends on your plans - retail M100s won't be around for a good while. Prototypes might not be quite as polished as the final end product that makes it to market. Can you wait for the 100s to come out, or do you want your headphones now?

Is money an object? Do you have other headphones you can compare it to? I can't really say if it's "worth" your money. That's up to your budget and what you want to do with it.
wink_face.gif

Hah, very true.

The only headphones I currently own are bose IE in-ear headphones so I'm definitely looking to upgrade sooner rather than later :). By a good while do you "guesstimate" that being a couple months or more? If so, I'll probably pick up headphones now. My budget isn't extremely tight, but If I pick up the LPs, LP2s, or M-80s now, I would be less likely to pick up the M-100s unless they are simply jaw dropping. I really like over-ear style headphones, but am a bit worried that the type of music I listen to won't sound great on the LP/LP2's (i.e. The Gaslight Anthem, The Beatles, Radiohead, Vampire Weekend, Neutral Milk Hotel to name a few).

With that said, if I do end up getting headphones now and then picking up the M-100's when they are out, it would probably suit me better to get the LPs or LP2s since they have different characteristics than the M-80/100 will have, correct?

Thanks everyone for all of the information thus far. It has really been helpful :).

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #4,408 of 23,366
Quote:

Hah, very true.

The only headphones I currently own are bose IE in-ear headphones so I'm definitely looking to upgrade sooner rather than later :). By a good while do you "guesstimate" that being a couple months or more? If so, I'll probably pick up headphones now. My budget isn't extremely tight, but If I pick up the LPs, LP2s, or M-80s now, I would be less likely to pick up the M-100s unless they are simply jaw dropping. I really like over-ear style headphones, but am a bit worried that the type of music I listen to won't sound great on the LP/LP2's (i.e. The Gaslight Anthem, The Beatles, Radiohead, Vampire Weekend, Neutral Milk Hotel to name a few).

With that said, if I do end up getting headphones now and then picking up the M-100's when they are out, it would probably suit me better to get the LPs or LP2s since they have different characteristics than the M-80/100 will have, correct?

Thanks everyone for all of the information thus far. It has really been helpful :).

It's looking like at least a few months. I prefer over-ear as well, 80s are on-ear so that's something to consider. I have a few recommendations in mind, but some aren't V-Moda. Will shoot you a PM.  

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #4,409 of 23,366
Quote:

wink_face.gif

That's where you are wrong, Val explained that the prototypes might even sound better than retail products in the sense the QC is much tighter on the PPUs. EVERY PPU is checked manually frequency response wise to be within "2dB" at specific points on the curve compared to the "golden" sample and if the units doesn't pass it gets probably a new driver or tweaked or whatever to pass the test. :p That's what I call quality control!

Would be nice to know what kind of quality control retail products will have though lol. Would suck to be the unlucky guy who gets an unusually poor sample with say a 4dB peak in the upper-mids at say 3.5kHz which is a sensitive area to my ears and might end up slightly annoying to me. But I think Val said the expected yield for final products was more in the ~95% or so level, meaning only some 5% of the units produced may have greater variety than 2-3dB at the specific points in the frequency response which sounds quite assuring.

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #4,410 of 23,366
Quote:
I think I may be on the wrong thread now, I essentially needed portable headphones to go to and from Uni but seeing the expectations some of you have is quite low! I can get the K550 for £179 but M-100 will cost me at least £280!

I don't think my expectations are low.  I plan to compare the M-100 against competing 2012 released ~$300 MSRP closed headphones.  The M4U (will be compared passively as to make the upcoming M4U 1 the point of reference... although I preferred the passive sound to active/amped anyway) and K550 are two very different cans.  Each holds advantages over the other that makes me confidently put them in the same league.  If the M-100 keeps pace, I'll be happy.  If it (subjectively) surpasses them, I'll be elated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back