V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 2, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #3,931 of 23,366
Quote:
 It's a guy flipping a table. If you see a lot of boxes, it probably means your computer don't have asian language support.

Thanks, until recently I thought the M-100 would be out before the Denon AH-D600, so Denon has a bit of a jumpstart with some good early impressions.  Amazon had a reduced launch price of $400 which is no longer being offered, but I have a feeling Denon will bring it back at M-100 launch to steal some thunder.  Timing is key.  It would be great if Val has a surprise up his sleeve to get these out sooner, referring to misdirection he has mentioned in the past.

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #3,933 of 23,366
Quote:
Will the m100 be overkill for a first pair of cans? I want to get either the m80 or m100, not sure if it is worth it for a beginner to splurge for the m100...

I'm sure the M100 will be worth it, but nothing is certain until someone hears it :p  

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #3,936 of 23,366
Lol largemouth bass, don't believe that's gonna happen. I could vow to not shave till release, but even then I'd still get intimate satisfaction :wink:

Will the m100 be overkill for a first pair of cans? I want to get either the m80 or m100, not sure if it is worth it for a beginner to splurge for the m100...

I guess it depends on how you look at it. You and I both want this $300 headphone. My first headphone nicer than Apple earbuds (which were nicer than the buds that came with my cd player) was a pair or Etymotic ER*6i that I actually got to test drive. I was ASTOUNDED how much more detailed and richer music sounded. Then I wanted to go "whole hog" and experience what full-sized cans with large drivers and circumaural comfort had to offer, and bought the Audio Technica AD700. Then I bought a pair of Grado SR60s for my dad, JVC HA-RX700 for my roommate, FiiO amp & iPod line-out adapters, and most recently V-MODA Crossfade LPs. I think that the V-MODA M-100 should be a nice balanced signature that I'd really enjoy and I want to try. You and the other new-to-hifi posters here have come to the same or similar conclusion, without paying for all the other stuff I have tried out over the years.

I may have more respect for how rare and challenging a good sound balance can be to achieve, but listening we will both appreciate the balance for what it is. It's not going to be an acquired taste like flat monitoring headphones, the difference between fine wine and boxed wine, or beer; you're just going to enjoy the musical, clean, and natural-ish sound that doesn't resort to compromising gimmicks like bass monster headphones (looking @ you Sony XB-700).

You may well be so happy that your first trip to headphone-HiFi is where you settle – but then again, you're on Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet!!!

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #3,937 of 23,366
Quote:

Why wouldn't it be worth it?  I'm having a hard time following the line of thought with your question.  Are you implying that a first-time purchaser of headphones should avoid something nicer for... well I can't think of a good reason?  When I was selling A/V equipment, it continually blew my mind when a customer would come in and say "I'm getting [such and such] for the first time so I don't need anything nice."  To me, that makes no sense.

The M-100 and M-80 are fundamentally different, in a lot of ways.  The M-80 is a more portable design that sits on your ear, while the M-100 is (probably) more comfortable around-ear design with better sound, though larger and a little less portable.  Let those factors and reviews impact your decision, assuming you won't be able to do an A/B comparison yourself, not the fact that you're new to this.

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #3,940 of 23,366
...I must admit, after (mostly) lurking in this thread for the past week and reading most of it I'm damn impressed/intrigued.  Honestly, I've never considered V-MODA as an option due to the "fashion-first" stigma.  I skimmed articles containing their offerings to gain a level of insight, but the prospect of having two bass cannons connected by a faux-alligator headband posed no appeal to me.  That was until I read Tyll's M-80 writeup that not only showed promising evolution in sound, but a glimpse at company tenets.

Here, we have a thread about an unreleased headphone that has ballooned to a few hundred pages.  As its growth accelerated, I stayed away.  "Nothing but hype," I thought.  What compelled me to peek I cant say, but I concede that I was absolutely wrong.  The driving force behind the activity is 99.9% due to the direct engagement of THE man behind the company.  The level of community involvement... the dedication to making an extremely refined product... the sentiment that "it ships when it's finished." (always a definitive sign of quality)  Truthfully, what's happening within this thread is one of the most encouraging instances of the manufacturer-consumer dynamic I've witnessed on Head-Fi or elsewhere.

And then, I read the final wooing declaration:

Quote:
I actually ENCOURAGE those who are on the borderline to buy M-100 from V-MODA.com and if you don't like them, return them.  We have seen less than 5% returns so we are very confident this is a product you'll love.  And if not, we can refurbish and sell to those who couldn't afford at full price so it is a win-win!

I have zero reasons to not give these headphones a fair chance.  Heck, even though the aesthetics are a bit loud for my tastes (they would most likely be used exclusively at home anyway, mind you) I find the option of having an understated matte black finish appealing enough.  If the content of this thread is to be believed, the M-100 will be "correcting" the few described personal sonic turnoffs that the M-80 is stated to have. (I've never tried them... nor any V-MODA headphone)

Even if these don't perform to my specific needs, you can consider me a convert.  After seeing Mr. Kolton's values put into practice I'm now a V-MODA fan despite having zero first-hand experience with their products.  Moving forward, I WILL be paying attention to what this company is doing.  Put me down for a "Matte Black Metal" M-100 and thanks to both Val and the dedicated contributors to this thread for showing me the light. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #3,941 of 23,366
Is the release date still expected around the third week of August? I know Val tweeted something about going to Macworld China and releasing the M-100, does that mean a sooner release date than previously expected?

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #3,942 of 23,366
Well - we still haven't gotten any news of: 

1. What exact colors and numbers of Pre-Production Units will be released...
  2. When these "PPU's" will be released, or made available for order...
  3. How these orders for PPU's will be carried out, and on what site...
  1. When the full headphone release will occur...
  2. What the final cost for the headphones will be...
  3. What the FR graph looks like, or any specific measurements whatsoever.

We're just as in the dark as we were in the beginning of the thread. If you don't count the impressions that were given by Anakchan a month or so ago, we have NO actual factual information on these headphones - other than they have a 50mm driver and a folding hinge. Even the impressions may be out-dated, since we haven't heard anything since.

TL;DR - We know pretty much nothing at the moment, and all we can do is keep waiting. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #3,944 of 23,366
Quote:
...I must admit, after (mostly) lurking in this thread for the past week and reading most of it I'm damn impressed/intrigued.  Honestly, I've never considered V-MODA as an option due to the "fashion-first" stigma.  I skimmed articles containing their offerings to gain a level of insight, but the prospect of having two bass cannons connected by a faux-alligator headband posed no appeal to me.  That was until I read Tyll's M-80 writeup that not only showed promising evolution in sound, but a glimpse at company tenets.

Here, we have a thread about an unreleased headphone that has ballooned to a few hundred pages.  As its growth accelerated, I stayed away.  "Nothing but hype," I thought.  What compelled me to peek I cant say, but I concede that I was absolutely wrong.  The driving force behind the activity is 99.9% due to the direct engagement of THE man behind the company.  The level of community involvement... the dedication to making an extremely refined product... the sentiment that "it ships when it's finished." (always a definitive sign of quality)  Truthfully, what's happening within this thread is one of the most encouraging instances of the manufacturer-consumer dynamic I've witnessed on Head-Fi or elsewhere.

And then, I read the final wooing declaration:

I have zero reasons to not give these headphones a fair chance.  Heck, even though the aesthetics are a bit loud for my tastes (they would most likely be used exclusively at home anyway, mind you) I find the option of having an understated matte black finish appealing enough.  If the content of this thread is to be believed, the M-100 will be "correcting" the few described personal sonic turnoffs that the M-80 is stated to have. (I've never tried them... nor any V-MODA headphone)

Even if these don't perform to my specific needs, you can consider me a convert.  After seeing Mr. Kolton's values put into practice I'm now a V-MODA fan despite having zero first-hand experience with their products.  Moving forward, I WILL be paying attention to what this company is doing.  Put me down for a "Matte Black Metal" M-100 and thanks to both Val and the dedicated contributors to this thread for showing me the light. 
beerchug.gif

I was like you, I avoided V-Moda because they seemed a little too fashion oriented to be taken seriously. It was Tyll's review and a few other impressions from people who I trust that pushed me towards trying the M-80's over others when I found I needed a closed headphone for work. The M-80's have exceeded my expectations in all regards, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think they must be one of the best values in headphones right now. Like you, even if the M-100's don't perform to my specific needs, the M-80's and Val's involvement in the community have made me a convert.

I would say that the M-80 Shadows are quite a bit more understated in person than I thought they would be. The thing that really gets me though is the build quality and the overall packaged presentation that is not just phenomenal at it's price point but at any price point. A lot of high-end headphone manufacturers could learn a thing or two from Val.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #3,945 of 23,366
Same here.  I'm so impressed with the quality and sound of the M80s at their price-point that I've been recommending them to everyone I know.  Word-of-mouth recommendation from me is in the process of resulting in at least three sales for V-Moda in a relatively short time-frame. 

This is how you build a strong brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back