V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 4, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #151 of 23,366

Quote:
I don't have a HD600 to compare it to, I'll get one though if you want - the more the merrier.  I do have a HD598 on my desk right now.  The M-100 is semi-closed as all of our models thus far.  I appreciate open-back's qualities, but I just love the isolation, immersion, "vivid" mids and staging psychoacoustics of semi-closed.

-v

Agreed, I also love semi-closed designs. However I didn't hear much of the improved soundstage in LP2 though. If I wouldn't be selling it I'd gladly try removing the foam cover at the back of the "V3 port" to improve the air flow and possibly mask one or two of the 3 holes if needed (well try out exactly how much should be left open once the foam is removed). By completely removing the foam of any vents usually results in even better soundstage and bass response with somewhat increased natural treble but it's all down to how much is left completely open and can be ofc tuned. Ofc isolation is slightly worsened but I'm more interested in sound quality. :p

But have you tried perhaps playing around with the foam that's there to something else that might let better airflow through?

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #152 of 23,366

Quote:
Quote:
Val would you say the m-100s could compete with the hd600s? If so then I'm dropping the hd600 idea and going v-moda yet again

I don't have a HD600 to compare it to, I'll get one though if you want - the more the merrier.  I do have a HD598 on my desk right now.  The M-100 is semi-closed as all of our models thus far.  I appreciate open-back's qualities, but I just love the isolation, immersion, "vivid" mids and staging psychoacoustics of semi-closed.

-v

If you have the 598s, you'll have a fair idea of what the HD600s are like.... but... once you get the HD600s into a lively amp, maybe a good OTL tube amp or the right SS amp, they stop being "laid back" (as people are apt to describe the traditional Sennheiser "sound") and really wake up.

Your comment earlier about amps was interesting though. I thought the M80s were a tad harsh-sounding direct out of my iPod and are best out of the HP-P1 or similar.

Something I'd better mention before I forget: If you're going to be making "audiophile" headphones, you'll need to do dual-entry, as some of us like to use balanced amps. With more balanced portable amps coming out too it'll be interesting.  I realise we're a small minority though.

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #153 of 23,366

Quote:
If you have the 598s, you'll have a fair idea of what the HD600s are like.... but... once you get the HD600s into a lively amp, maybe a good OTL tube amp or the right SS amp, they stop being "laid back" (as people are apt to describe the traditional Sennheiser "sound") and really wake up.

Your comment earlier about amps was interesting though. I thought the M80s were a tad harsh-sounding direct out of my iPod and are best out of the HP-P1 or similar.

Something I'd better mention before I forget: If you're going to be making "audiophile" headphones, you'll need to do dual-entry, as some of us like to use balanced amps. With more balanced portable amps coming out too it'll be interesting.  I realise we're a small minority though.

oh ya!

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #155 of 23,366

Quote:

Funny you mention this, I have thought about this as Drew from Moon Audio requested it and I have ONE M-100 with it.

I may have a creative solution for the tinkerers that want to modify it to be balanced easier, it's in my "nice to have features" for launch.  Yet, I cannot promise because if it hurts our reliability testing it'll have to be a manual mod.  It definitely will be made to be a consumer-friendly single entry for the 99 percentile.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #158 of 23,366

I think they're designed to be suitable for as many genres as possible; VMODA's motto is "The best sound for the greatest number of people." 

But, to respond more, directly...I sure hope so, because that's what I'd be using them for!
Quote:
would these headphones be suitable for people who listen to electro/trance/dubstep/house/rock/hip-pop songs???

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #159 of 23,366

Quote:
I think they're designed to be suitable for as many genres as possible; VMODA's motto is "The best sound for the greatest number of people." 

But, to respond more, directly...I sure hope so, because that's what I'd be using them for!

SH!+ - forgot  asterick, "greatest sound for the greatest number of people"*

edit *that the model targets, considering demographics, environment used, psychoacoustic sound pref, music content, ergos, source devices and many other secret sauce variables including religious views, carnivore vs vegetarian, sail vs speedboat, brunette vs blonde preferences to name a few.. (sic)

M = modern audiophiles
LP = live play 
TH = TOO HIGH (nothing we'll ever make, it can damage your hearing IMO)

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #160 of 23,366

Quote:
would these headphones be suitable for people who listen to electro/trance/dubstep/house/rock/hip-pop songs???

I am sure they would be. It was done so well with the LP/LP2 and since the M-100 will also have a slight larger bass kick it will only bring out the love in those genres.

Besides those genres, I would love if these would fit with retro rock and Industrial. Huge NIN/Gravity Kills fan here.

Quote:

edit *that the model targets, considering demographics, environment used, psychoacoustic sound pref, music content, ergos, source devices and many other secret sauce variables including religious views, carnivore vs vegetarian, sail vs speedboat, brunette vs blonde preferences to name a few.. (sic)

M = modern audiophiles
LP = live play 

Really now? Back when I was younger I would always crank up my music to max all the time to drown out everything around me. Always thought to have ears of steel so that sounds like a challenge to me!

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #161 of 23,366
My bottom line with regards to the M100: if it underperforms the M80 without an amp, it's not worth $300, and with regards to how small the real HiFiers are in number, I think that most people who wind up buying them would feel similarly.

Does RadioShack know that the target audience for M100s is comprised of a small, amp-wielding group of special interest forumers?  
tongue.gif

Nothing but love, Val! 
beyersmile.png

M = modern audiophiles
LP = live play 

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #162 of 23,366

Quote:

As an atheist, I will not buy any headphones with any image of the Virgin Mary, baby Jesus, or Bible verses. Please, no Bible verses,

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #164 of 23,366

Quote:

M = modern audiophiles
LP = live play 

Val, it's taking me a while to find this. How many M-100's would I need to buy before I can receive a free goat?
Have you had a chance to listen to the HFI-580's? They're excellent portables. In short, they're bass-heavy with excellent sound quality- more so than the popular M50's and I actually prefer it over the HD25. It has bass quantity similar to the Pro700mk2, but with more accuracy, less muddiness, and no drowning out of other frequencies. Sound stage is pretty open for closed-cans, probably due to S-Logic.
If the M-100 sound anything like my 580's, it's going to be an easy purchase/addition :) I need something I can just carry around w/o worrying about scratching/scuffing my aluminum sides.

Quote:
My bottom line with regards to the M100: if it underperforms the M80 without an amp, it's not worth $300, and with regards to how small the real HiFiers are in number, I think that most people who wind up buying them would feel similarly.

Does RadioShack know that the target audience for M100s is comprised of a small, amp-wielding group of special interest forumers?  
tongue.gif

Nothing but love, Val! 
beyersmile.png

My $300+ Ultrasone Pro 900 unamped under-performs my $130+ HFI-580 by a large margin.
Without an amp, the Pro 900's highs are almost piercing, the bass is almost non-existent, the music sounds almost lifeless, and the volume is barely loud enough.

With an amp, my Pro 900 is simply amazing and of course excels in every category over the 580!
I've been searching and asking for suggestions for bass-heavy cans that have a similar signature for a future upgrade. I was told by many people that I wouldn't find similar, better cans no matter what the price. I was considering the LCD-2 and I was even told by someone with the LCD-2's that I might be disappointed if I bought LCD-2's and was looking for the a similar bassy signature. I still might go with them, just for a different sound.
To show I'm not talking out my a...
"Originally Posted by shamrock134
The LCD-2 is nothing like the Pro900 and I could see you being disappointed. From what I can tell there isn't a logical upgrade path from the Pro900 as high-end cans aim to sound more balanced. Perhaps the Edition 9?
"Originally Posted by Dougeefresh
I was really interested in Edition 9 and did extensive research (WITHOUT listening to one) and concluded that as far as low end goes, E9 wouldn't be an upgrade. I agree that there is no logical (and linear) upgrade path from PRO900. If there is, PLEASE let me know!!!
After I bought my Pro 900, the price was raised $200 for them. Would I still have bought them if they cost $200? Without a doubt."

So I strongly disagree with your statement. The price difference between my HFI-580 vs. Pro 900 is greater than the the M80 vs. M100. The difference in performance btwn the HFI-580 and Pro 900 unamped is vast! But again, I will confidently say that the Pro 900 is worth more than the $300+ I paid for it because of it's amazing performance with an amp.
I'm also sure this is not the only case.
wink_face.gif

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #165 of 23,366
Yeah, but Ultrasone isn't trying to sell the Pro900s at RadioShack...they're built to be used at home or on turntables, by audiophiles or DJs, with an amp, not around the city from an iPod/iPhone. I doubt the M100s will compete with something like that, even amped. Even if Val is calling this a "modern audiophile" headphone, the bottom line is, he's selling them at RadioShack, and the only headphone amp they sell there is a piece of junk that is designed ONLY to amplify volume for multiple listeners; nothing anyone here on Head-Fi would ever even consider using.

I understand where you're coming about price/performance ratio with an amp, but it's not the only factor in this case. The Pro900s cost $500 and are a totally different beast than what Val describes the M100s as being designed for.

Quote:

Val, it's taking me a while to find this. How many M-100's would I need to buy before I can receive a free goat?
Have you had a chance to listen to the HFI-580's? They're excellent portables. In short, they're bass-heavy with excellent sound quality- more so than the popular M50's and I actually prefer it over the HD25. It has bass quantity similar to the Pro700mk2, but with more accuracy, less muddiness, and no drowning out of other frequencies. Sound stage is pretty open for closed-cans, probably due to S-Logic.
If the M-100 sound anything like my 580's, it's going to be an easy purchase/addition :) I need something I can just carry around w/o worrying about scratching/scuffing my aluminum sides.

My $300+ Ultrasone Pro 900 unamped under-performs my $130+ HFI-580 by a large margin.
Without an amp, the Pro 900's highs are almost piercing, the bass is almost non-existent, the music sounds almost lifeless, and the volume is barely loud enough.

With an amp, my Pro 900 is simply amazing and of course excels in every category over the 580!
I've been searching and asking for suggestions for bass-heavy cans that have a similar signature for a future upgrade. I was told by many people that I wouldn't find similar, better cans no matter what the price. I was considering the LCD-2 and I was even told by someone with the LCD-2's that I might be disappointed if I bought LCD-2's and was looking for the a similar bassy signature. I still might go with them, just for a different sound.
To show I'm not talking out my a...
"Originally Posted by shamrock134
The LCD-2 is nothing like the Pro900 and I could see you being disappointed. From what I can tell there isn't a logical upgrade path from the Pro900 as high-end cans aim to sound more balanced. Perhaps the Edition 9?
"Originally Posted by Dougeefresh
I was really interested in Edition 9 and did extensive research (WITHOUT listening to one) and concluded that as far as low end goes, E9 wouldn't be an upgrade. I agree that there is no logical (and linear) upgrade path from PRO900. If there is, PLEASE let me know!!!
After I bought my Pro 900, the price was raised $200 for them. Would I still have bought them if they cost $200? Without a doubt."

So I strongly disagree with your statement. The price difference between my HFI-580 vs. Pro 900 is greater than the the M80 vs. M100. The difference in performance btwn the HFI-580 and Pro 900 unamped is vast! But again, I will confidently say that the Pro 900 is worth more than the $300+ I paid for it because of it's amazing performance with an amp.
I'm also sure this is not the only case.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back