V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Apr 21, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #721 of 1,668
  Found another review. This one a bit more thorough than the others so far. He advises against buying them, but a lot of that comes down to comfort and styling.

I find it hilarious how he knocks the "bling" on the Rose gold version while completely dismissing the matte white/black version, which are far better looking and more subdued IMO.  Why not at least mention that there are multiple colors?

And recommending the CFW1 at a 30/50 savings is ridiculous.  More comfortable ear pads, clicq fold, better buttons, an overall more balanced sound...there are tons of reasons to get version 2.

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #722 of 1,668

I find it hilarious how he knocks the "bling" on the Rose gold version while completely dismissing the matte white/black version, which are far better looking and more subdued IMO.  Why not at least mention that there are multiple colors?

And recommending the CFW1 at a 30/50 savings is ridiculous.  More comfortable ear pads, clicq fold, better buttons, an overall more balanced sound...there are tons of reasons to get version 2.

I thought the same thing while reading it. If you don't enjoy the accents, they've provided two other variations for you. One practically all white. One all black. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #723 of 1,668
Also his inability to get used to the buttons hints at the reviewer's own ineptitude with tech. It's not like the buttons are small or placed in a confusing array. And CFW1 recommendation is ridiculous considering he had comfort issues with CF2W.

CFW1 + XL pads is only $10 less than CF2W stock. Seriously, the CF2W has basically made the CFW1 obsolete.

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #724 of 1,668
Didn't care about APTX, I don't really use Bluetooth anyway, and the non APTX version sounds good regardless of bitrate limits. The matte Black is what it's about. Had to add a little flavor with shields.

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #725 of 1,668
My review that I've posted elsewhere:

Having been a fan of V-MODA since their initial on-ear M-80s were released, I've purchased almost everything that V-MODA has produced.  I have yet to really find a bad product, but last years original Crossfade Wireless was one that I didn't keep in my music listening collection for very long.  It was relegated to video game use on my PC where the extended bass and wired expertise were utilized sitting at my computer.  That said, given the improvements promised in the second version, most specifically the sound and the cliq fold hinges for portability, I was tempted and ultimately pulled the trigger once they arrived on Amazon.  I opted for the white version and they look so much better in person than they do in the product shots.  I'm including a pic of mine, just so you can get an idea of a real world look.

To start w/ the negatives.  Well, there aren't many.  I think V-MODA limiting APTx to the rose gold color is a mistake, mostly because I do not like that color...but the sound quality coming out of my Galaxy S8 or my iPad Pro 9.7 is quite good anyway, so I don't miss it too much.  There is a small difference in extension on both the low and high end when running in BT as opposed to wired mode, so I suppose that would be a negative in the grand scheme of things.  They don't sound identical but it's very close.

Now, the positives.  Most of the time I'm running my headphones wired from my Sony PHA-1A amp, and the new driver is spectacular.  A more balanced sound overall with better extension on the high end.  The bass that could vibrate your ears on the LP/LP2/M100/CFW is more subdued and doesn't rattle your head quite as much, but you can tell there is the house V-MODA sound inherent to all of their headphones.  This year though, the mids aren't nearly as recessed and the highs are a little brighter and more extended which makes the entire spectrum balance out.  I would have to agree w/ a few reviews I've read...these are by far the best sounding headphones V-MODA has ever made when they are running in wired mode w/ some power behind them.  I can't say enough about it.  My biggest issue with the original CFW was the clipping of the bass at higher volumes when running on BT.  It annoyed me to no end.  That flaw was corrected w/ the new driver on the new CF2W.  Now I can listen without worrying about the clipping.

Comfort is another improvement over the original CFW and M100.  I always needed to get the XL pads for my V-MODA over ear headphones because the stock pads just were a touch too small and my ears touched the drivers.  Well, the new memory foam cushions are somewhere in between the two sizes and work perfectly for me.  They are soft and supple and feel great while providing all day comfort.  I had to bend the headband a little bit to loosen up the clamping force, but once that was done, they are fantastic.  I wouldn't say they are the most comfortable I've tried (Sony MDR-1ABT wins), but they are very close.

The entire package of accessories.  A fantastic compact case that has little vents now that you can take out so the headphones can breathe if you use them outside or in the gym where they might get a little sweaty.  The usb cable and included audio cable are both of high quality and they should last quite a while.  Going back to the case, it's really shocking how small it is for a full sized headphone.  This reason alone is one that got me excited compared to the first CFW...V-MODA needs to keep the cliq fold hinges on ALL of their headphones going forward.  No excuses.

So there you have it...a little rundown of the improvements on the CF2W.  I can't recommend it highly enough.  A fantastic improvement over the original wireless version and even an upgrade to the highly rated M100 in wired mode if you like a slightly flatter and more extended sound.  Good job V-MODA.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #726 of 1,668
That review! Surprisingly on point.

There's often an audible ambient hiss when audio isn't playing.
Much like their predecessors, the Crossfade IIs have the tendency to produce a hissing sound when a Bluetooth connection is engaged but no audio is playing. It's not always there—the issue is worse when I'm connected to a computer rather than a phone, but it's hard to ignore once you notice it.

For example, when the Crossfades are synced to my MacBook and no music is playing, the hissing will kick in the moment I do something simple like drop a file in the trash can. The sound effect of the trash can is effectively waking the headphones up, and it takes a couple seconds after the crumpling paper sound effect ends for the hiss to shut itself off.

S to the B to the C. S-B-C.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #728 of 1,668
Well, mine came in about two hours ago and I've listened to them a bit. I will definitely be doing a more in-depth review with comparisons to the Beats Solo3 and Bose QC35 headphones (that's what I have on-hand) and, to my best, the memories I have of the CFW1 headphones along with how the CFW2's feel with their default earpads as well as the optional XL ones. My initial impressions are positive with my Moto Z Force listening to music from Google Music All Access. In fact, I was set to do some testing this evening but I started playing an album and didn't stop it until half-way through when my Wife called me on her way home. I had forgotten I was doing a crucial listening test and just enjoyed the headphones.

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #729 of 1,668
Yep, I ordered the rose gold model directly from V-Moda. Should be here early next week.

Very different from my experience. I dislike the sound signature of the QC35s very much. They're so bland. Everything about the headphones from styling to sound is just bland, but I guess that's what they're going for. The noise cancellation is great, but that's not something I want in a headphone.
Agreed! They are two very different headphones. QC35's are lighter, more comfortable,and has noise canceling. The main thing the QC35's can't do that the CFW2 can is have a sound stage and a balanced sound quality. I found the QC35's bass to be in a way bloated and the treble to be a little hissy. To my ears, the CFW2 kills the QC35 in sound quality. To many pluses with the CFW2 to complain about the very few shortcomings it may have to some. Remember, if there was 1 perfect pair of headphones out there, what would be the point of headfi?

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #731 of 1,668

I know its something small, but it also drives me crazy when supposed "experts" dont even know how to fold the headphones correctly...smh

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #732 of 1,668
Well, mine came in about two hours ago and I've listened to them a bit. I will definitely be doing a more in-depth review with comparisons to the Beats Solo3 and Bose QC35 headphones (that's what I have on-hand) and, to my best, the memories I have of the CFW1 headphones along with how the CFW2's feel with their default earpads as well as the optional XL ones. My initial impressions are positive with my Moto Z Force listening to music from Google Music All Access. In fact, I was set to do some testing this evening but I started playing an album and didn't stop it until half-way through when my Wife called me on her way home. I had forgotten I was doing a crucial listening test and just enjoyed the headphones.

I think thats something we forget about this hobby, enjoying music. Sometimes all the reviews, opinions, specs like AAC, Apt-x, SBC, NC, planer vs dynamic, open vs closed, and everything else, tends to get in the way of not caring how it sounds to someone else, as long as it sounds good to you 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back