V-caps iMod on par with Pico DAC: is it true?
Feb 15, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #61 of 86
interesting reading regarding imod bg noise.

with my current setup

imod->alo vcap->voyager->grado 325i

with rockbox, flac3. paused, i turn the voyager to max volume.

there is NO 'ticking' whatsoever, very black indeed.

the only audible element that i canhear, apart from nothing is a slight constant sound of 'white-noise', this is very subtle and you have to strain to hear it, and its very subtle, no rythymic or patterned ticking here. i find that DAMN good considering the voyager is at full pelt.

BTW - this also applies straight out of my imod via an attenuator and ety IEMS.

where i did get terrible clicking is listening to that same setup, but with my USB charge and play cable into the imod, connected to vcap.

but at high volume, its bad, with whining and screeching so it doesnt sound like even thats the same thing, as being described.

maybe people need to try it with different amp, straight out VCAP -> RCA to headphones|attenuator etc, rather than assuming with their single setup that it must be the imod and thus the ipod across the board that is giving out noises, i am not that lucky to have been gifted 'a special-fluke' of work in this imod, that just meant it was that much more resistant and finely tuned to combat ticking and bg noises!

it could be peoples equipment not having ideal shielding and EMI protection, the usb cable i am using is high quality, short, ferrite core laden as well, and still is bad when running in the mix!

there was a post stating how 'crappy' the 4g ipod dac is.

i am audio snob and i would never call that dac a crappy one.
yes, there are always bigger fish in the sea i am sure.

and it is limiting itself ultimately, but props must go out to apple in that one regard, when you consider it was a mass produced player for the GP (general public) and of course, this spurred vinnie at RWA on to attempt to imod it, if it had been a truly crappy DAC, he wouldnt have embarked on that fantastic project i am sure.

think of a vcap as a water purification plant. it deals wth the source and does what it can to filter and enhance and purify the output.

i would rather have a better DAC@source, sure. but working with what we have in an imod, the v-cap is a great way to exploit and upscale the DAC for better sounding acoustics, like adding more RAM to an ever aging PC, will help out in certain key areas, but wont address the underlying issue.

@lisnalee - be interested if you read this to see if you can get any 'noises' to report back on with your imod paused, and volume cranked up max. interesting to see what the variables are and what maybe causing it for people.

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #63 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ticking probably isn't audible on most high impedance cans. Try IEMs.

if that is addressed at my post, i did say in there that i also used ety IEMS, with the same result.

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #64 of 86
Ety ER4S are very high impedance IEMs, so they don't count. You should try with something like Westone UM2, Shure E500, Triple fi or Custom IEMs.

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #65 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ety ER4S are very high impedance IEMs, so they don't count. You should try with something like Westone UM2, Shure E500, Triple fi or Custom IEMs.

they werent ER4S they were ER4P!

its the same deal even with my cheap ibuds and sen mx500's.

lucky me.
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #66 of 86
Adam, the ER4P are rated 108 dB/mW, which is almost unsensitive to hiss. Superfi 5 Pro, Triple fi, E500, UM2, not to talk about Livewires and others, have 119+dB/mW sensitivity, which means the same hiss/background noise is 4 times louder.

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #67 of 86
Quote:

Adam, the ER4P are rated 108 dB/mW, which is almost unsensitive to hiss. Superfi 5 Pro, Triple fi, E500, UM2, not to talk about Livewires and others, have 119+dB/mW sensitivity, which means the same hiss/background noise is 4 times louder.

again, i am not talking about hiss.

ticking was in question, presumably emanating from something mechanical/or interference pattern. not hiss.

however, i will borrow my uncles e500s tomorrow and check again then with regards to yet another set of phones

but i cant see them revealing something which when on full pot from an amp just isnt there with several headphones, and outputted direct to speakers also (less sensitive by far i know), to me that suggests a direct, MASSIVE interference with the perceived sound, if one headphone can show me a tick, and another one cant, surely that would translate into affecting some portion of the musical spectrum when listening, akin to running a karoake DSP, knocking out the vocals!!!!!!!!
eek.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #68 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@lisnalee - be interested if you read this to see if you can get any 'noises' to report back on with your imod paused, and volume cranked up max. interesting to see what the variables are and what maybe causing it for people.

I tried this with the livewires at full volume and i can hear NO ticking noises at all, only white noise.

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #70 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried this with the livewires at full volume and i can hear NO ticking noises at all, only white noise.

thanks mate
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #71 of 86
Quote:

again, i am not talking about hiss.

ticking was in question, presumably emanating from something mechanical/or interference pattern. not hiss.

however, i will borrow my uncles e500s tomorrow and check again then with regards to yet another set of phones

Out of curiosity, how old are you? I thought you were much older than me.
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #72 of 86
Quote:

Out of curiosity, how old are you? I thought you were much older than me.
biggrin.gif

LOL - do you have to be young to have an uncle?
confused.gif

you tell me, a picture is in my profile, albeit from 5 years ago.

a clue: i was born in the seventies

i dont know how old you are anthony, i would guess as early to mid twenties? if so - would indeed make me older than you, so yes you were right!

edit: just looked at your profile doh! - you are 23, a mere youngster!
tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #73 of 86
Quote:

LOL - do you have to be young to have an uncle?
confused.gif

Well, it's quite funny to have an "old" uncle who enjoys Shure E500. I would like to have one too.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #74 of 86
thats a bit ageist eh?
smily_headphones1.gif

what about ken36?

i actually bought them for him when i was employed, i dont know if he enjoys them, i am sure he thinks bose is better - he's 'old' in years, but 'young as the girl he feels'
evil_smiley.gif

you can have mine, please, i will pay you to take him off my hands.

oi vei!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back