Utada... thumbs DOWN
Mar 13, 2009 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bizkid

1000+ Head-Fier
Now dont take this the wrong way, this is not about her as a person, she is without doubt a great songwriter and has written some great stuff. Im not a fan (not really a fan of anyone) but i enjoy many of her songs. The first time i heard her was already 10 years ago, i got old... sh.t.

But what the @#!* is wrong with her managment, a&r or whoever is responsible for her "Utada" releases. "This is the one" is just as mediocre as "Exodus", both albums have maybe 1,2 memorable songs, the rest are fillers, songwriting is very mediocre imho. Also they should seriously get other coorperations for their beats/songs/productions.. Once again they try to sound modern technoid r&bish and fail miserably at that, this was also the case with Exodus.

Ok im not the target demographic for this album (females from 10 to approx 25 and some male japanophile/anime geeks). My wife is a big utada fan so i had to buy the album for her. I have no clue if this album is supposed to be distributed worldwide or just in japan, where we bought it. The lyrics are pretty embarassing, i dont speak a word japanese but my wife assures me that the lyrics on her "normal" releases are really good and well thought out.

This is just sad to hear from an artist who has without doubt a great history of albums (excluding those mentioned), with no fillers, unique songwriting, good production, sound programming etc.

Just leaves me
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 7
I just listen "This is the one" for the last few days now, to me it is definitely better than Exodus, but Utada Hikaru is now not as good as she used to be. "This is the one" is not bad at all, fun indeed, but it is too mainstream IMO. Although I really enjoy it for now, but I'm pretty sure I will get bored soon just like other pop music
tongue.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 7
Utada is alright, don't listen to Japanese music much though.

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 7
I think that her English speaking fans have always wanted her to be able to write a "First Love" that sells 9 million CDs, as it did in Japan.

So far, it's a far better album than Exodus. It does sound like an English version of her Japanese music to some degree, albeit missing the style of poetry capable in Japanese, which made her songs so good. Songs such as Automatic Part II reminds me a bit of Ultra Blue, which had the odd funky-sounding track with awful lyrics.

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 7
^ x2
I always skip that track Automatic part II, and I don't like the lyrics at all

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and her music does sound repetitive..

And "This is the one" is no exception
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back