Using a Home Theater Receiver as a DAC
Jul 2, 2010 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mobayrasta

100+ Head-Fier
I noticed that most nicer HTR's have a 24 bit 192 dac in them. I am looking to buy a stand alone DAC right now. How would these units such as a Pioneer Elite HTR sound as a dac. Very easy to hook up through COAX and then out into my Bijou. Would I be happy with the sound or should I just get a seperate DAC. Would love to hook up a surround sound system to my computer, but can't afford both. So if I could use a Home Theater Reciever as my DAC it would make me VERY happy. If I would be dissapointed in the sound, I will just get a stand alone DAC and get a reciever later. 

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Chris

Jul 2, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 13
I don't have any experience with using a HT receiver as a DAC, but I completely agree with you about it being a good idea. Why don't you take your amp and headphones into a store and try it out? I don't know if BestBuy would be cool with that, but I am sure that one of the independent dealers would let you. Go in and chat with a salesman then ask permission to bring your rig in. If you get the OK, go for it. And be sure to let us know how it works out. If you find a good model I'm sure it'd be of interest to a lot of people here.

Jul 2, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
I don't have any experience with using a HT receiver as a DAC, but I completely agree with you about it being a good idea. Why don't you take your amp and headphones into a store and try it out? I don't know if BestBuy would be cool with that, but I am sure that one of the independent dealers would let you. Go in and chat with a salesman then ask permission to bring your rig in. If you get the OK, go for it. And be sure to let us know how it works out. If you find a good model I'm sure it'd be of interest to a lot of people here.

Such a great idea.I think I will hit some of the mom and pop stores around DC and see what I can try. UE I always read your post and you consistently  come up with practical solutions. I do not know why this did not occur to me, but I will definately try it.

Chris

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 13
Be careful.  Some receivers do not have the possibility of accessing the dac via tape out.  My receiver cannot act as a standalone dac.  This is probably to please anti piracy conglomerates.

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 13
It's been a question of curiosity of at least two threads by members - one argued that maybe HT receivers can have great DACs for less due to economies of scale, but I don't think either thread got closure. Would love to know though. 

Jul 5, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 13
I've got a Marantz SR5500 connected up to the 5.1 speaker set at home, looking to set them up in my room and connect my computer / iPod up to them.

Would make life very easy if I could run everything through the receiver, should be possible..?

Let us know how if we find out any developments here, do not have a decent DAC at the moment and am in the market to buy a DAC/AMP, if I can use the receiver I should be able to save quite a bit!

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
It's been a question of curiosity of at least two threads by members - one argued that maybe HT receivers can have great DACs for less due to economies of scale, but I don't think either thread got closure. Would love to know though. 

That makes a LOT of sense to me. Most headphone DACs/amps are boutique products made by hand in very small numbers, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if a larger company could build something with similar sound quality for less money. It's kinda what you hear when people talk about using pro gear.

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 13
I have been thinking about this a lot. I am going to unhook my Kenwwod receiver down stairs and give it a try. (Harder than it sound, so many things going in there with absolutely no room to work) And give it a try. It is a few years old so no HDMI, but should be a good test.

I agree with the pro gear statement, ever since GRAWK and dreadhead reccomended me to try the Behringer DEQ series of DACS I have been amazed at what some of the cheaper pro audio stuff sounds like. SIMPLY amazing finds out there for the price. Another one is the TC Electronics BMC-2.

I will report back at my findings.

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
That makes a LOT of sense to me. Most headphone DACs/amps are boutique products made by hand in very small numbers, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if a larger company could build something with similar sound quality for less money. It's kinda what you hear when people talk about using pro gear.

But you gotta admit, the best pro gear isn't cheap either. 

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #11 of 13
From my experience, an external dac will always sound better. However, if you're not a discriminating listener, you probably won't notice much of a difference. Let your ears decide.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 13
Jul 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #13 of 13
A good AV receiver can act as an excellent DAC. Dad's using a Yamaha DSP-A1 with a broken power amp stage to feed a Fisher receiver and it sounds quite good. I could probably fix it if I set my mind to it but the capacitors in that thing could probably kill me 100x over. If I ever do short them, I'll do it standing in hiking boots on a wooden floor holding a huge power resistor with a pair of insulated pliers while wearing three layers of gloves. Not kidding. 
tongue.gif

Post * 1000 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back