Use a standard USB DAC with a Nexus 7 (step by step guide)
Dec 23, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #31 of 143
Quote:

Great, thanks. This is really cool. The Nexus 7 just keeps getting better. I paid $250 for the 16GB at the initial release and its oh so worth that price. But $150 or $99.... wow. No one should not have a Nexus 7. :D

The "Ipad Killer" at 99 dollars would be probably my lifetime bang for the buck.hehe

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #32 of 143
The dopefish lives!
I just wanted to mention that various versions of the Trinity kernel, and Timur's kernel from RootzWiki work with USB OTG. I have my Fiio E17 working just fine.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Dec 30, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #33 of 143
Thanks for these instructions! I plan to use this in my car somehow, hopefully through an Audison BitOne or Similar.

However, in my car, it has a USB port - when I connect the Nexus 7 it connects as a media device, then I can play songs off of it using the head unit to control it. Would there be a way to send the audio to the car via the USB port alone, letting the car be the DAC, and allowing me to control the tablet through the screen as the car stereo controls are rubbish, and it cant read playlists for some reason - every playlist simply says "empty playlist".

Cheers

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #34 of 143
Would anyone know if there is a way to use a mic input with a USB DAC or USB sound card with this method? I was planning on installing a Nexus 7 in my car as a satnav replacement and was hoping of a way to use an external mic for phone calls in the car. Thanks!

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #38 of 143
No in recovery mode I choose the zip but then it fails to load it or something. I can find the zip fine etc and am in recovery mode CWM. Oh will poitee still work as for 4.1.1 and I am on 4.2.1. Even if that is it I have other kernels to no luck. Got really frustrated.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #39 of 143
Quote:
No in recovery mode I choose the zip but then it fails to load it or something. I can find the zip fine etc and am in recovery mode CWM. Oh will poitee still work as for 4.1.1 and I am on 4.2.1. Even if that is it I have other kernels to no luck. Got really frustrated.

FOREWARNING: THE STEPS LISTED BELOW MAY BRICK YOUR DEVICE AS THINGS DONE WITH ROOT OR CUSTOM RECOVERY ARE INHERIENTLY RISKY.  I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR yada yada yada (you get the point).  If you follow instructions step by step you shouldn't have a problem.

• Make a Nandroid backup (Back Up and Restore---> Backup)
  • Redownload the kernel and delete the old one off the device.  Put the freshly downloaded zip in the same place the old one was.  Try flashing it again in recovery.  If that doesn't work move to step 3.
  • Do a factory reset (Wipe data/factory reset ---> yes).
  • Do # 3 again.
  • Wipe the cache (wipe cache partition ---> yes)
  • Wipe dalvik (advanced ---> wipe dalvik cache ----> yes)
  • Reboot Recovery (not necessary but recommended)
  • Repeat #5 and #6 if you want to be extra cautious (really not needed but I do it just to be on the safe side)
  • Follow this guide to go to 4.1.2.
  • I am OCD and I do #9 (flashing the new ROM) 3 times, but its up to you.  Most people recommend twice because it ensures the old stuff is gone and the new files are put in the right place
  • Boot into 4.1.2 and login.
  • Go to settings ----> about device to see if you are really on 4.1.2 (just another precautionary measure to make sure the update took)
  • After you are in and done with # 12 if you wanted to, boot into recovery and flash the kernel listed in the OP.

If it doesn't work let me know!

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #40 of 143
thanks for that, i am re rooting it on the crappy PC i own and trying again like that. I have a feeling that root i did on mac was not to great so run it back to stock and am redoing it but is a right pain in the PC i have and is taking ages! Will let you know!

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #41 of 143
Quote:
thanks for that, i am re rooting it on the crappy PC i own and trying again like that. I have a feeling that root i did on mac was not to great so run it back to stock and am redoing it but is a right pain in the PC i have and is taking ages! Will let you know!

Usually if you can boot into recovery things have settled in right, but good idea to redo it.  Make sure you do the thing that's in bold and red 
biggrin.gif
. And no problem!

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #42 of 143
okay it is rooted again but this time from the PC with TWRM, same one from the OP of this thread. I have then stuck the zipped trinity 7 whole folder and tryed to flash but it is failing. What steps shall i now do of the above?

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #44 of 143
Quote:
do i need to go 4.1.2

i would rather stay in 4.2.2 and use T7 but if i have to go back i will!

I would go to 4.1.2 just to test it.  If it works then it will only work in 4.1.2.  If you backup before its only a few clicks away to get back to 4.2.2 if it doesn't work or you would rather be on 4.2.  I have never used TWRM as CWM is good enough for me so I personally would go to CWM before trying to do the new ROM, not sure if they like different formats. Should be fine though.

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #45 of 143
fair enough, i apparently had a sucess with the trnity kernel so now have that but am a bit stuck what to do next to view the kernel has been successful etc. Getting a kernel manager now. Sorry but as an apple boy this is all very new :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back