USB type C vs. 3.5mm jack
Aug 22, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 4
My guess is there's nobody here that's able to do the comparison. There are just too many variables. Not to mention that unless a headphone comes in both USB-C and 3.5mm, it would be impossible to know how it compares to itself.
I'd wager that 3.5mm headphones are a better buy, though. Because the USB-C 'phone will only ever be compatible with one DAC/amp (the one that's built into the cable), it will sound the same no matter what it's plugged into; a 3.5mm 'phone might sound better/different/worse depending on what it's plugged into.
And if you're talking in generalities, I'd still say the 3.5mm are better if for no other reason than that the most expensive USB-C earphone on Amazon costs $150 and gets 3.5 stars, while a quick search shows several $1000 3.5mm earphones that get 5 stars (or pretty close to it). Which isn't to say that more expensive is necessarily better, nor that Amazon reviews are inherently trustworthy, but it's probably a pretty good indication.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 4
Since most new Smartphone manufacturers ditch the 3.5mm jack, i am curious, if headphones who connect via the type c port would have the same sound quality?
Just saw this. Not sure if you are still active here or looking for any comparison. But in 2 Cents, USB-C is not for Audio. It is primarily for Data Transfer and Charging so the sound quality is significantly poor in USB C. Even using USB to 3.5mm adaptor will not change it at all.

These companies did not bring USB-C for better sound quality, they brought it to sell their so called Bluetooth Earbuds and increase sell. For the sound quality, I will not use the USB C phone even if it is free or even the companies give me $1000 to use that phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back