USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace
Jul 4, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #1,696 of 1,712
jkeny, nobody said audioengr was wrong for saying he noticed some technical quirks on the usbface. He misquoted me when I was referring to the fact that we shouldn't read too much into the fact that audio-gd is using the m2tech hiface as a reference. It is very obvious we should have opinions from non-companies about how competing products work. I AM NOT SAYING ANYTHING AGAINST CRITICISM, JUST SAYING WE SHOULDN'T READ TOO MUCH INTO AUDIO-GD'S USE OF HIFACE AS THEIR TEST BENCHMARK.

In an analogy, it's like a politician who says he's going to find out if he's better than his rival politicians for the job, then withdraw from running if he finds out one of his rivals is a better candidate. Obviously voters should do research themselves and come to their own conclusions, not trust that politician 100% or accuse him of sleazy self-promotion. I am not in any way suggesting audioengr and Jocko have no right to criticize flaws they see in the (current prototype) usbface. It is constructive criticism to point out things like wrong ohm connectors, or their preference for less overbuilt circuitry..

Apparently audioengr, and also others, mistook my "don't take it as unbiased" statement regarding audio-gd's use of hiface as an attack on any criticism on gear. Can't help but shake my head at all the miscommunication on this forum :frowning2:.

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #1,697 of 1,712
There are no wrong connectors on the USBface. Kingwa doesn't claim that BNC socket on his USBface is 75ohms. In fact Kingwa says it is 50ohms just like the BNC socket on the M2Tech HiFace is 50ohms also.
Kingwa has intentionaly decided to put a 50ohms socket on the USBface. Why he has done that? I,m not sure I understand very well but this is what he told me when I asked the question:

Quote:
Because I see the hiface also use 50 ohms BNC sockets so we want to use same type BNC socket for compare and get the same station and a disinterested match.

Nevertheless, I would have prefered a 75ohms BNC socket. After all S/PDIF is supposed to be 75 ohms and not 50ohms right? The standard is messed up and not so much of a standard afterall. I'd like a converter that can match my DAC which is true 75ohms.

Peace!

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #1,699 of 1,712

Quote:
Because I see the hiface also use 50 ohms BNC sockets so we want to use same type BNC socket for compare and get the same station and a disinterested match.

What he meant by this is that he used the same ohm bnc connector to minimize the effect of connectors while he is doing his experiment. This way he can get a better idea of the audible differences due to circuitry and not due to differences in connector ohm.

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #1,700 of 1,712

Quote:

What he meant by this is that he used the same ohm bnc connector to minimize the effect of connectors while he is doing his experiment. This way he can get a better idea of the audible differences due to circuitry and not due to differences in connector ohm.

Well, this doesn't make sense now, does it? - what's he going to do once he has tested it? - change the connector to 75ohm BNC? Where does that leave his tests?

If you are designing a new product surely you design it to the best spec you know? I really don't understand the logic here.

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #1,701 of 1,712
It's so he can rule out the possibility of falsely attributing (a supposed) difference in sound to the connector when in fact he wanted to hear the difference in the circuitry. This is meaningful since someone might put a 75 ohm connector on the hiface and it might (theoretically) alter his opinion on how the two different circuit designs compare to one another.

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #1,702 of 1,712
Has he copied the output stage of the Hiface also because this interacts with the 50ohm BNC connectors? Where did he stop copying the Hiface circuitry?

This is completely meaningless, Haloxt, I'm afraid to say - it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #1,703 of 1,712
Someone's testing methodology may make no sense, but what matters is if audio-gd still uses the 50 ohm bnc connector in the final product. If they do not, then there's no more requirement to worry about the use of the 50 ohm bnc connector right now in his test.

Jul 4, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #1,706 of 1,712
jkeny, what makes you think I want him to use the 50 ohm bnc connector in the final product?

Perhaps you are misreading what I am saying. Let me explain very clearly. He is currently using a 50 ohm bnc connector for the test usbface. You are complaining about it. I am telling you you don't have to worry too much if Kingwa switches the bnc connector to 75 ohm for the final usbface.

A better way of matching the two devices than putting a 50 ohm connector on the test usbface, would be to fix the hiface ohm. But that's irrelevant in my book, how someone conducts his test is his business, I won't criticize.

ironmine, it is only temporary. And wow, please don't talk about "mentality" of a billion individuals, if you're being serious you need to see a doctor about your mentality.

Jul 4, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #1,707 of 1,712
I deleted my post. This should be discussed in the actual thread.

By the way, jkeny, don't forget you are an MOT and bound by the same rules as Steve. 
smile.gif

Jul 4, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #1,708 of 1,712
If the BNC version of the HiFace isn't 75 ohm, why pay extra for it at all? Why not just get the RCA version instead?
mad.gif

Perhaps a stupid question, but honestly most of this thread is beyond me anyways and I don't really expect an answer from my experience in posting questions here previously.

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #1,709 of 1,712

Quote:
If the BNC version of the HiFace isn't 75 ohm, why pay extra for it at all? Why not just get the RCA version instead?
mad.gif

Perhaps a stupid question, but honestly most of this thread is beyond me anyways and I don't really expect an answer from my experience in posting questions here previously.

Here's an answer, grokit - it's not a stupid question & it appears the assumption was wrong as a communication with Marco has confirmed the BNC connector is indeed 75 ohm http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/498151/m2tech-hiface-mods-and-discussions/105#post_6758850

Quote:
Marco has confirmed to me that they are using 75ohms parts. I'd like to apologize to the community for saying that it wasn't the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back