USB DAC problems
Dec 26, 2014 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jramossurg2002

New Head-Fier
Hi
I got the Oppo HA-1 a few weeks ago, serial number A230U61428002503 and it was working fine.
Yesterday I noted that the HA-1 was not being picked up by my Pc (Win 8.1 64 bit Prof.  I tried switching the HA-1 on and off a few times and also rebooted the PC with no success.  I tried to reinstall the Oppo USB drivers but this failed as it could not detect the HA-1 as being connected to the system.  I tried different USB cables and ports as well as upgrading my system and USB drivers without success.
I then connected the HA-1 to my Asus Win 8.1 64 bit Prof laptop and the same problems occurred. Basically the HA-1 USB DAC is not being picked up by two different computers despite cable changes, rebooting, powering on and off etc.
The HA-1 seems to be working as before in terms of it switching on and off and showing different inputs and screens etc.
I have searched the forum and noted that a few people have reported similar problems and thought that I would add my experience.  I have emailed Oppo support and am waiting for a reply but I would welcome any advice or suggestions.
Unfortunately I live in South Africa thus returning the unit for repair will be a costly and long process.
regards

Jose

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm not a owner of the device, and probably would be easier to get an answer on the Oppo thread. However...

Unzip the downloaded package and double-click on the "setup.exe" file, then follow the on-screen instructions to finish this installation. Select the HA-1 as your sound output device by setting "Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound -> Playback" to "OPPO HA-1 USB Audio 2.0 DAC". (I copy&pasted this from Oppo's support page)

There are a few procedures to make certain that the drivers are correctly installed on your PC. You should make certain that you're installing the drivers with admin privelieges: 
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-do-i-run-an-application-once-with-a-full-administrator-access-token

In the event the Oppo drivers are not signed, follow this tutorial (I don't like this for security reasons, but it's a brute force solution):
http://revryl.com/2013/08/06/install-unsigned-drivers/

Don't forget to reboot your PC with the Oppo turned on.

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 5

thanks but the Oppo USB installer wont work as it doesn't find the player - I had previously installed the driver so it is on the system and the HA-1 has been immediately picked up when I switched it on.  This seems to be a problem with the USB hardware on the HA-1

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 5
Before trying to reinstall drivers, you should first uninstall them. Reboot. Install again. Reboot.

I don't know how well designed they are, but I'd suggest you use a uninstaller software like Revo Uninstaller to clean up the registry properly of any leftovers (this assuming you know how to handle registry keys).

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 5
To update this thread, I sent the HA-1 back to Oppo and it was indeed faulty and it seems that some of the boards were replaced.  I did not get much information as to what the nature of the problem was and what could have caused it.  I suspect some type of surge occurred which was transmitted to the HA-1 via the USB connection.
The unit is working fine but I now leave the USB disconnected when not listening to the unit.

regards

Jose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back